This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Receiving spam from my Own Server
RE: Receiving spam from my Own Server
(05-08-2016, 08:19 PM)Ron-e Wrote: Sorry my knollage about this ends here, but it looks like it's coming from your server if you ask me..

(05-08-2016, 07:56 PM)americanninja Wrote: I am the only person that uses this server and it just has a handful of Drupal websites. If my email server was insecure, I assume spammers would be using my server for a lot more than it's being used now.
How do you know that they aren't using it more? or just testing it? Huh

Hi Ron-E. Well thanks for all the help you have given thus far. Well, what I would like to know is whether this person is sending the email to my server spoofing my email address or using my web/email server to send the emails. I'm hoping someone else comes across this thread and can answer that question.

As for now, I'm going to assume, since the lines state:
Received: from [41.60.100.77] (unknown [41.60.100.77])
by panel.MYDOMAIN.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id B0EDD16B025
for <contact@MYDOMAIN.com>; Sun, 8 May 2016 06:02:31 +0900 (JST)

I'm guessing this just means that my web/email server received the email destined for my email address with the spammer spoofing the same email address as the FROM address. Spamassassin picked it up as spam, tagged it, and then my email server forwarded it along to my gmail address which I have setup in my web/email server for this contact@MYDOMAIN.com address.

So perhaps everything is working as expected and it's just some low scum of the earth spammer just using my email address in the TO and FROM section of the email.

I came across this two articles during my research. So I think it's nothing out of the norm, but I'd love someone that is a bit more experienced than you and I to confirm this. At least email what story these email headers are telling us. Thanks!!
http://lifehacker.com/5875848/how-can-i-...and-family
http://lifehacker.com/how-spammers-spoof...1579478914
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Receiving spam from my Own Server - by Ron-e - 05-08-2016, 02:51 AM
RE: Receiving spam from my Own Server - by Ron-e - 05-08-2016, 06:41 PM
RE: Receiving spam from my Own Server - by Ron-e - 05-08-2016, 08:19 PM
RE: Receiving spam from my Own Server - by americanninja - 05-08-2016, 11:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
External mail client cannot connect to server iraqiboy90 2 6 ,308 02-28-2021, 11:34 AM
Last Post: iraqiboy90
Sentora Email Setup - EMAIL DOESN'T GO TO SPAM james30263 0 3 ,152 09-15-2018, 01:20 PM
Last Post: james30263
Incoming email not receiving. OinkyOverlord 7 14 ,213 06-01-2018, 06:49 AM
Last Post: natansousa1992