This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Azure CentOs 7.1 + Sentora
Azure CentOs 7.1 + Sentora
Hi,

Is there anybody who managed to install Sentora on Azure CentOS Linux release 7.1?

I am new with Linux and also with Sentora.

I have got a few questions:

1) Sentora is asking for "The public IP of the server" when installing. Azure gives a public address called VIP which is virtual. That means that if the server is switched off for a certain time the IP will be released and when the server is on again there will be a new VIP assigned. They recommend to use CNAME rather for this purpose so if anything is pointing to the server it should still work. How this could be used when installing Sentora? Can I use CNAME instead of IP address? Huh  

..the Azure CentOS provided me with DNS Name (something.cloudapp.net), which I used as a subdomain and I used VIP at the moment for requested IP address. I can now access Sentora after successful installation through provided DNS Name something.cloudapp.net. I can easily reinstall it if I should rather provide CNAME through installation? Huh

2) I couldn't find any information regarding this situation. I have got a domain registered with GoDaddy and would like to host website on the server above. I created in GoDaddy new record for mywebsite.com
dns entry - cms  
type - CNAME
destination - something.cloudapp.net

Is this just going to work in Sentora when I add my new domain cms.mywebsite.com in Sentora Domain Management -> Domains or I still need to create DNS in the Sentora DNS Manager? Huh This is a bit confusing..I think in zPanel it would be just working pointing the domain to the zPanel?

My apology if I missed something and my questions are not clear.

Thank you for your help.

P.S. I think I post it in the wrong thread, please move it to the right location.
Thanks given by:
RE: Azure CentOs 7.1 + Sentora
Hello vaso, welcome to Sentora Smile

I do not have experience with Azure CentOS (but I'll learn Tongue), however I'll try to help point you in the right direction.

(05-30-2015, 09:16 AM)vaso Wrote: 1) Sentora is asking for "The public IP of the server" when installing. Azure gives a public address called VIP which is virtual. That means that if the server is switched off for a certain time the IP will be released and when the server is on again there will be a new VIP assigned. They recommend to use CNAME rather for this purpose so if anything is pointing to the server it should still work. How this could be used when installing Sentora? Can I use CNAME instead of IP address? Huh  

..the Azure CentOS provided me with DNS Name (something.cloudapp.net), which I used as a subdomain and I used VIP at the moment for requested IP address. I can now access Sentora after successful installation through provided DNS Name something.cloudapp.net. I can easily reinstall it if I should rather provide CNAME through installation? Huh 
1) From what I understood reading Microsoft Azure Reserved Public page the VIP is the Public IP, it is dedicated and sticky, meaning it will not be changed if the server reboots or is turned off for some period (unless you cancel it).
Microsoft Azure Wrote:The Reserved IP address is sticky, meaning once it’s associated with the cloud service, it won’t change unless you decide to disassociate it. 
You should install Sentora using the VIP as the Public IP Sentora requests from you.
Regarding the domain, you should use your own dedicated subdomain for sentora (something like panel.domain.tld).

______
(05-30-2015, 09:16 AM)vaso Wrote: 2) I couldn't find any information regarding this situation. I have got a domain registered with GoDaddy and would like to host website on the server above. I created in GoDaddy new record for mywebsite.com
dns entry - cms  
type - CNAME

Is this just going to work in Sentora when I add my new domain cms.mywebsite.com in Sentora Domain Management -> Domains or I still need to create DNS in the Sentora DNS Manager? Huh This is a bit confusing..I think in zPanel it would be just working pointing the domain to the zPanel?
2) The Setup you refer should work (CNAME entry pointing to your Azure subdomain).

If you are using GoDaddy as your Name Server you have no need to use Sentora DNS, just ignore it; Everything you setup in Sentora DNS will have no effect because your domain is being managed by GoDaddy (and I would leave it that way for now).

DNS is a complicated area and require a lot of research to understand (research that I strongly suggest you to do), it's normal you feel confused.

_____
By the way, are you using Sentora or Zpanel? At this point you should be using Sentora Wink

One last thing, I would suggest you to try different configs and see what works and what does not work, just reinstall the server if something is not working, this is probably one of the best ways to learn.

Hope this has helped you, but take everything with a grain of salt as, like I said, I do not have experience with Azure.

Wink
My Sentora Resources
[Module] Mail Quota Count | Vagrant Box with Sentora

[Image: vanguardly-logo-micro.png]
Graphic and Web Design. Development.
www.vanguardly.com

Thanks given by: vaso
Sentora should work and install without any issues on azure, I didn't test it directly but I use often centos 7 on HyperV for testing.

That said: Sentora should not have issues as mainly we request server ip for the panel setup BUT all websites don't have FORCED IP setup on their virtual hosts. They are all assigned vhost + * for IP.

Also we are detecting the server IP so we ensure that panel.domain.com will resolve and you will be able to access your panel once setup.

M B
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by: vaso
(05-30-2015, 08:22 PM)Me.B Wrote: Sentora should work and install without any issues on azure, I didn't test it directly but I use often centos 7 on HyperV for testing.

That said: Sentora should not have issues as mainly we request server ip for the panel setup BUT all websites don't have FORCED IP setup on their virtual hosts. They are all assigned vhost + * for IP.

Also we are detecting the server IP so we ensure that panel.domain.com will resolve and you will be able to access your panel once setup.

M B

Thank you! Yes, it is indeed working! Smile
Thanks given by:
Great it worked vaso Wink
My Sentora Resources

www.vanguardly.com

Thanks given by:
(05-30-2015, 07:33 PM)apinto Wrote: Hello @[vaso], welcome to Sentora Smile

I do not have experience with Azure CentOS (but I'll learn Tongue), however I'll try to help point you in the right direction.

(05-30-2015, 09:16 AM)vaso Wrote: 1) Sentora is asking for "The public IP of the server" when installing. Azure gives a public address called VIP which is virtual. That means that if the server is switched off for a certain time the IP will be released and when the server is on again there will be a new VIP assigned. They recommend to use CNAME rather for this purpose so if anything is pointing to the server it should still work. How this could be used when installing Sentora? Can I use CNAME instead of IP address? Huh  

..the Azure CentOS provided me with DNS Name (something.cloudapp.net), which I used as a subdomain and I used VIP at the moment for requested IP address. I can now access Sentora after successful installation through provided DNS Name something.cloudapp.net. I can easily reinstall it if I should rather provide CNAME through installation? Huh 

1) From what I understood reading Microsoft Azure Reserved Public page the VIP is the Public IP, it is dedicated and sticky, meaning it will not be changed if the server reboots or is turned off for some period (unless you cancel it).

Microsoft Azure Wrote:The Reserved IP address is sticky, meaning once it’s associated with the cloud service, it won’t change unless you decide to disassociate it. 
You should install Sentora using the VIP as the Public IP Sentora requests from you.
Regarding the domain, you should use your own dedicated subdomain for sentora (something like panel.domain.tld).

______

(05-30-2015, 09:16 AM)vaso Wrote: 2) I couldn't find any information regarding this situation. I have got a domain registered with GoDaddy and would like to host website on the server above. I created in GoDaddy new record for mywebsite.com
dns entry - cms  
type - CNAME

2) The Setup you refer should work (CNAME entry pointing to your Azure subdomain).

If you are using GoDaddy as your Name Server you have no need to use Sentora DNS, just ignore it; Everything you setup in Sentora DNS will have no effect because your domain is being managed by GoDaddy (and I would leave it that way for now).

DNS is a complicated area and require a lot of research to understand (research that I strongly suggest you to do), it's normal you feel confused.

_____
By the way, are you using Sentora or Zpanel? At this point you should be using Sentora Wink

One last thing, I would suggest you to try different configs and see what works and what does not work, just reinstall the server if something is not working, this is probably one of the best ways to learn.

Hope this has helped you, but take everything with a grain of salt as, like I said, I do not have experience with Azure.

Wink

Thank you apinto

This is an update:

1. Yes, I use Sentora!
  2. The CentOs on Microsoft Azure I am using for testing, the basic configuration cost me so far £1 per 6 days, it is pays as you go option, probably worth to play for everybody!
  3. The installation I used for Sentora was manual 7 steps and with no problems
  4. The one command installation weren't working (some errors I didn't understand)
  5. The IP or VIP was done as you suggested, thank you for that, all clear
  6. The CNAME was working and I can access the page, thanks DNS is indeed complicated and I didn't touch it as it is working as you suggested
BUT I have got a new problem, which might be maybe Sentora issue??

1. I have added as my first domain to Sentora this cms.mywebsite.com and that is working perfectly
  2. I wanted to add another domain called cms2.mywebsite.com and get this error message "You cannot add a Sub-Domain here. Please use the Subdomain manager to add Sub-Domains."
  3. Obviously if I go to subdomain it will only allow me doing cms2.cms.mywebsite.com which I don't want
  4. I tried to add to domains cms.blabla.com and that was working
I assume that 

1. You can add any subdomain.domain.com to the domains if there is not already such a domain but if you would like to add another subdomain2.domain.com you cannot 
  2. I didn't want to add just domain.com and then use sub domains manager as my main domain is used on another server
Is there any way around this? I think Sentora could check that if there is not main domain.com in the domain list then it should allow to add as many subdomain.domain.com as you want to the Domain manager?

Thanks again! Smile

UPDATE on the problem - This is really cool to learn and find out things..

So I don't know if the issue is real issue but this is what I did
  1. Simply I removed my only domain cms.mywebsite.com and added just mywebsite.com regardless that this domain is not actually pointing to this server
  2. I added subdomains cms and cms2 and all is working well
Now I will continue my adventure with Sentastico & Wordpress...
Thanks given by:
(06-01-2015, 07:21 AM)vaso Wrote: BUT I have got a new problem, which might be maybe Sentora issue??

1. I have added as my first domain to Sentora this cms.mywebsite.com and that is working perfectly
  2. I wanted to add another domain called cms2.mywebsite.com and get this error message "You cannot add a Sub-Domain here. Please use the Subdomain manager to add Sub-Domains."
  3. Obviously if I go to subdomain it will only allow me doing cms2.cms.mywebsite.com which I don't want
  4. I tried to add to domains cms.blabla.com and that was working
I assume that 

1. You can add any subdomain.domain.com to the domains if there is not already such a domain but if you would like to add another subdomain2.domain.com you cannot 
  2. I didn't want to add just domain.com and then use sub domains manager as my main domain is used on another server
Is there any way around this? I think Sentora could check that if there is not main domain.com in the domain list then it should allow to add as many subdomain.domain.com as you want to the Domain manager?

Cheers vaso, I love to see people eager to understand and learn, specially when they try to hack things themselves Smile

Back to your issue, I think that the Setting subdomain without domain (Sentora Docs) page might help you.
Basically you are setting up a new shared domain that might be used by multiple accounts.
This is ideal if you plan to have user1 using sub1.domain.com, user2 using sub2.domain.com and so on.

However if you plan to use all these domains under the same user account I would add domain.com on the domains and all the subdomains onthe subdomain panel, this is more correct and organized.

Note: Keep in mind you need to add a extra DNS entry for every subdomain (usually it's a CNAME, but you can also use A records), this DNS entry should be were you have your name servers pointing to (I believe it's GoDaddy).

(06-01-2015, 07:21 AM)vaso Wrote: Thanks again! Smile

UPDATE on the problem - This is really cool to learn and find out things..

So I don't know if the issue is real issue but this is what I did

1. Simply I removed my only domain cms.mywebsite.com and added just mywebsite.com regardless that this domain is not actually pointing to this server
  2. I added subdomains cms and cms2 and all is working well
Now I will continue my adventure with Sentastico & Wordpress...

Like I said above, I believe this is the correct way to do it if oyu are using a single user account for the mywebsite.com Smile
Have fun!!
My Sentora Resources

www.vanguardly.com

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Is Sentora dead? rajeevrrs 2 3 ,068 12-17-2022, 09:20 AM
Last Post: TGates
Sentora debug and error files johnnyp 0 1 ,187 10-27-2022, 06:16 PM