This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

/var/sentora/sessions/ directory filling up with a 15 new files per minute rate
/var/sentora/sessions/ directory filling up with a 15 new files per minute rate
Hi guys,

I noticed that the /var/sentora/sessions/ directory is constantly filled with new files with a 'sess_' prefix. I noticed that because today, all the files were taking up to 3 gigs at were almost maxing out the free inodes count.
I removed the 'sess_' files, but I'm still seeing new files being created. Obviously stopping the Apache server, stopped the creation of next files. I haven't seen any suspicious activity in Sentora & Apache's access logs.
I searched Google and this forum about sessions files and Sentora, but got no helpful result so far.
Any idea about what's going on here ?
Thanks in advance.
--
Eric.
Thanks given by:
RE: /var/sentora/sessions/ directory filling up with a 15 new files per minute rate
Sessions are PHP session so you can't nothing in logs! Those are users there.

Usually they are deleted after session time out.

M B
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by: ericdlr
RE: /var/sentora/sessions/ directory filling up with a 15 new files per minute rate
(05-19-2015, 11:44 PM)Me.B Wrote: Sessions are PHP session so you can't nothing in logs! Those are users there.

Usually they are deleted after session time out.

M B

Thanks for the enlightenment.
Unfortunately, it looks like either the sessions do not time out or PHP is unable to delete the files. I removed 3 gigs of them. The oldest was dated 2015-04-17.
For the time being, I've added a crontab to delete the sessions files on a hourly basis, but I'm still trying to understand why they are not deleted by Sentora.
--
Eric.
Thanks given by:
For starters, Sentora is not supposed to delete them, apache/php is.
Did you change any configs?
-TGates - Project Council

SEARCH the Forums or read the DOCUMENTATION before posting!
Support Sentora and Donate: HERE

Find my support or modules useful? Donate to TGates HERE
Developers and code testers needed!
Contact TGates for more information
Thanks given by: ericdlr
(05-21-2015, 01:51 AM)TGates Wrote: For starters, Sentora is not supposed to delete them, apache/php is.
Did you change any configs?
Nope. Just a few  apt-get upgrades.

FWIW, here are some versioning infos:
Ubuntu 14.04.02
Apache 2.4.7
php 5.5.9-1ubuntu4.9
Thanks given by:
What scripts are running on your sites? It could be bad PHP coding on one of your hosted sites where sessions are not being destroyed after use. See here: http://serverfault.com/questions/624445/...verflowing

Thanks given by:
I'm also having this problem.

Same OS as OP. Sentora installation running some Wordpress sites. /var/sentora/sessions is now at 170719 files after 2 months run time.

Not sure what to do about this yet.
Thanks given by:
Just checked my sessions folder and its loaded up also. Will look into this some more as this can't be normal.
Mine has over 400,000 Huh

Thanks given by:
Solved!
Me.B You may want to review this for the installer and check if same happens on CentOS.

Ubuntu 14.04 sessions not clearing fix:
OPEN:
Code:
/etc/cron.d/php5
FIND:
Code:
09,39 *     * * *     root   [ -x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime ] && [ -x /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean ] && [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] && /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean /var/lib/php5 $(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime)
REPLACE WITH:
Code:
09,39 * * * *     root   [ -x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime ] && [ -x /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean ] && [ -d /var/sentora/sessions ] && /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean /var/sentora/sessions $(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime)
RESTART CRON SERVICE:
Code:
service cron restart

Thanks given by: jbeaumont
this is more a permissions issues as sessions are automaticly cleared. You can set a cron to clean files older than 1h or 1 day but better check the origin of the issue.
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Is Sentora dead? rajeevrrs 2 2 ,947 12-17-2022, 09:20 AM
Last Post: TGates
Sentora debug and error files johnnyp 0 1 ,127 10-27-2022, 06:16 PM
Last Post: johnnyp
Transfer Account to another Sentora BenI 1 2 ,535 07-21-2022, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Nigel