This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Default DNS.
Default DNS.
Hey all, we are new here so foregiveness please if we fail to provide as much details as needed - we'll do our best.

Short story, we have been using zPanel on IX and Windows for some time. When it went away, we began using VestaCP and ISPconfig3. VestaCP is very good, easy to use and reliable - however it lacks some "guts", while ISPconfig3 has a lot of great featurs; "scares" our users.

We were quite pleased to see Sentora/zPanel revitalized and installed onto a test/dev machine (as per our profile).

So far everything is working very well, no crashes, issues or major issues. Wink

We want to be able to set up Default DNS records for the basic records as well as NS1 and NS2. We do not want users to change DNS at all - that's all good and works (i.e. locking them out).

Now the problem; NS1 and NS2 both hae the same IP address. We have NS boxes on multiple Statics in multiple locations for redundancy and failover.

So how can we use the GUI to create these default records?

We loked at this post: http://forums.sentora.org/showthread.php?tid=1185 and understand what/how to do this.

However, it has been our experience with VestaCP and ISPconfig3 that this feature is built in. Are we missing something, or do we have to do as discussed in the above post? Sad

Seems odd that this would not be in the Interface somewhere. Exclamation

In closing, thank you very much for revitalizing this bad boy. Very well done, tidy, easy to use and quite friendly.
Thanks given by:
RE: Default DNS.
What about:

http://forums.sentora.org/showthread.php?tid=446

I moved the thread to how to section so users can spot it easily.
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by:
(03-24-2015, 06:35 PM)Me.B Wrote: What about:

http://forums.sentora.org/showthread.php?tid=446

I moved the thread to how to section so users can spot it easily.

I thank you for the reply and apologize for not being clearer.

On my Sentora Server (inside lan behind nat), I want to create Default DNS records that contain Real Internet addresses. For example (these are all dummy numbers and are for discussion purposes only):

A rec: 8.8.8.8
NS1 rec: 8.8.8.8
NS2 rec: 6.7.8.9

When I create a Domain, I get the following:
A rec: 8.8.8.8
NS1 rec: 8.8.8.8
NS2 rec: 8.8.8.8

I can edit the NS2 record and that works, but we want to have Sentora automatically populate (or allow us to set the value) so the users will simply get all the records records.

Some of our resllers are not that techy and will screw things up. Our customers will have no idea how to manually do this.

Rewind a little: We use VestaCP (this is for our smaller - sinlge domain customers). ISPconfig3 is used for multi-domain customers (but as mentioned, it is way too techy for even our most knowledgeable resellers).

Again, I thank you for the assistance; have a good day.
Thanks given by:
So you want mainly to change NS2 default value?
M B
How to ask

Thanks given by:
(03-25-2015, 06:58 AM)Me.B Wrote: So you want mainly to change NS2 default value?
M B

That is correct and/or be able to change an of the DNS default values in the future - in one of our locations our ISP has informed us that IP addresses (even tho they are static) will be changing in May due to new fiber being laid.

So we need to be able to changed/edit them now and probably in the future. We manage our own DNS with glue recs configured with the Registrar.

Thanks for the assistance.
Thanks given by:
The only easiest solution would be to hack the DB and update all related records and flag DNS zone to be updated.

check sentora_core\x_dns table & x_dns_create

M B
How to ask

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Modify the default DNS records blazerunner44 2 8 ,524 03-02-2015, 02:43 PM
Last Post: blazerunner44