This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

DNS MX record issue
DNS MX record issue
I installed Sentora 2.0 on a new server hosted by Hetzner.com, and am using their DNS service. This is the MX record:
MX @ mail.rstinternetmarketing.com

Email is bouncing back with this notation:
admin.rstinternetmarketing.com.rstinternetmarketing.com.

Does anyone know how and why the additional rstinternetmarketing.com. is getting added, and how to fix it?

I have this A record:
A mail.rstinternetmarketing.com 5.161.149.225

Thanks in advance!
Thanks given by:
RE: DNS MX record issue
(10-13-2022, 01:22 AM)rsthomas Wrote: I installed Sentora 2.0 on a new server hosted by Hetzner.com, and am using their DNS service.  This is the MX record:
    MX    @                                             mail.rstinternetmarketing.com

Email is bouncing back with this notation:
    admin.rstinternetmarketing.com.rstinternetmarketing.com.

Does anyone know how and why the additional rstinternetmarketing.com. is getting added, and how to fix it?

I have this A record:
    A    mail.rstinternetmarketing.com     5.161.149.225

Thanks in advance!

Are you managing the DNS on Hetzner by editing a zone file, or by using a web interface to add and edit the records?

Maybe add a screenshot or partial screenshot of the actual interface you are using, as you could be doing either. Hetzner's documentation seems to talk of both a web interface and also how to manage DNS records via a zone file, so the solution will probably depend on the method of managing the records that you are using.

K
Thanks given by:
(10-15-2022, 07:24 AM)fearworks Wrote: Are you managing the DNS on Hetzner by editing a zone file, or by using a web interface to add and edit the records?

Maybe add a screenshot or partial screenshot of the actual interface you are using, as you could be doing either. Hetzner's documentation seems to talk of both a web interface and also how to manage DNS records via a zone file, so the solution will probably depend on the method of managing the records that you are using.

K

Hi Keith!

I am using the Zones method.

I added a client yesterday, along with a domain and mail account that keys off the Sentora master domain - admin.rst... Coincidentally, it is able to send and receive email; go figure!!

It is a mystery, but hopefully email will operate properly for any other clients I add. This is the actual bounce message that appears:

----------------
The original message was received at Sat, 15 Oct 2022 00:00:26 +0100 (BST) from mail-c245.authsmtp.com [62.13.128.245]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <email@rstinternetmarketing.com>

----- Transcript of session follows -----
550 5.1.2 <email@rstinternetmarketing.com>... Host unknown (Name server: mail.rstinternetmarketing.com.rstinternetmarketing.com.: host not found)
----------------

Sentora 2.0 seems to be work well, by the way

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Ok, I think I see the issue. For any record where the target is a domain name (for example the two I can see in your screenshot would be the CNAME and the MX) you have specified a domain name, but using syntax that is being interpreted as a subdomain. I would have expected this to be explained somewhere in the interface, or a warning show somewhere, but anyway, the explanation is this. Put a period (we call it a full stop here in the UK) at the end of the domain names in your target column, so instead of:

target.clickfunnels.com

and

mail.rstinternetmarketing.com

for the CNAME and the MX record, put this:

target.clickfunnels.com.

and

mail.rstinternetmarketing.com.

and do the same for any other targets that are domain names and not IP addresses. The period (full stop) should tell their DNS system to treat the domains as a full domain and not a subdomain of the current domain. The documentation here:

https://docs.hetzner.com/dns-console/dns...mx-records

suggests that this is only required for domains outside of the current domain (so is needed for the CNAME domain anyway) but it appears to be required even for the MX record, and event though it is within the same domain... not sure why but try it and then post to say you have changed it, and we'll see if the MX domain shows correctly.

Edit: I guess with the MX record, because the target is within the same domain, you should actually be able to just add:

mail

as the target without the rest fo the domain, and it should serve it up as the correct record. Try it, take another screenshot of the same page to show what you changed, and we'll see how it goes.

K
Thanks given by:
(10-15-2022, 09:52 AM)fearworks Wrote: Ok, I think I see the issue. For any record where the target is a domain name (for example the two I can see in your screenshot would be the CNAME and the MX) you have specified a domain name, but using syntax that is being interpreted as a subdomain. I would have expected this to be explained somewhere in the interface, or a warning show somewhere, but anyway, the explanation is this. Put a period (we call it a full stop here in the UK) at the end of the domain names in your target column, so instead of:

target.clickfunnels.com

and

mail.rstinternetmarketing.com

for the CNAME and the MX record, put this:

target.clickfunnels.com.

and

mail.rstinternetmarketing.com.

and do the same for any other targets that are domain names and not IP addresses. The period (full stop) should tell their DNS system to treat the domains as a full domain and not a subdomain of the current domain. The documentation here:

https://docs.hetzner.com/dns-console/dns...mx-records

suggests that this is only required for domains outside of the current domain (so is needed for the CNAME domain anyway) but it appears to be required even for the MX record, and event though it is within the same domain... not sure why but try it and then post to say you have changed it, and we'll see if the MX domain shows correctly.

Edit: I guess with the MX record, because the target is within the same domain, you should actually be able to just add:

mail

as the target without the rest fo the domain, and it should serve it up as the correct record. Try it, take another screenshot of the same page to show what you changed, and we'll see how it goes.

K

So far, so good -- it has been receiving and sending since your last post, thanks to YOU and the period/full stop!

As I said, I am using the 2.0 installation on a new server and all seems to be well. Are you hearing anything about issues, and any word on the Upgrade?
Thanks given by:
I haven't seen anything posted recently about the releas of version 2.0 - everyone has gone silent. I'm not involved in the development and the person who was taking it forward seems to have gone silent, so not sure.

Glad the DNS is working now - you know what to look out for and try if this happens again in the future. Some DNS systems take care of adding the period behind the scenes where necessary, others need you to do it explicitly.

K
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
managed-key permission issue Juan Pablo 15 33 ,840 04-10-2019, 12:54 AM
Last Post: Juan Pablo
Issue accessing/pinging 2nd installed domain Fudnut 9 21 ,757 03-14-2019, 04:33 PM
Last Post: fearworks
Cloudflare issue with sentora testing 3 10 ,446 11-21-2017, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Me.B