This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Server Crash
Server Crash
What a mess! I left my office yesterday morning with everything running smoothly.
When I returned, the attached message was on the screen, and there was virtually nothing left on my server -- almost like a new and incomplete Ubuntu installation.

Can I only hope that rather than everything being erased it has just been "hidden" from view, and that there is a way to recover it?

Speaking of recovering, thank God I at least have a backup of the webpages and datafiles, although not the general Sentora or Ubuntu files. Guess I get to start over...

Does the attached message from the screen mean anything to anyone, as in what caused this disaster? Was the whole server hacked, or what?

Since my email server is down, please reply to rsthomas@gmx.com.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
RE: Server Crash
(05-13-2022, 10:12 PM)rsthomas Wrote: What a mess!  I left my office yesterday morning with everything running smoothly.
When I returned, the attached message was on the screen, and there was virtually nothing left on my server -- almost like a new and incomplete Ubuntu installation.

Can I only hope that rather than everything being erased it has just been "hidden" from view, and that there is a way to recover it?

Speaking of recovering, thank God I at least have a backup of the webpages and datafiles, although not the general Sentora or Ubuntu files.  Guess I get to start over...

Does the attached message from the screen mean anything to anyone, as in what caused this disaster?  Was the whole server hacked, or what?

Since my email server is down, please reply to rsthomas@gmx.com.

Seems as though your Disk has possibly failed.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/133946/a...-dangerous
***Retail***
SCPH-39002, Running FCMB, HDD-OSD, Mini-OPL.
SCPH-30002 RSW (Automobile Collection Snow White)
SCPH-10000 x2
SCPH-15000
SCPH-18000 x2
DESR-7700
SCPH-2040X x2
Linux Kit
PSBBN V0.20, V0.30
HDD Utility V1.00, V1.01

***Dev***
DTL-H30102 Running FCMB, HDD-OSD, Mini-OPL.
DTL-H20400 - Boxed
Thanks given by:
(05-16-2022, 09:32 AM)Nigel Wrote: Seems as though your Disk has possibly failed.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/133946/a...-dangerous

Thanks for your response, Nigel! Honestly, I think I would rather suffer a potential disk failure than to know someone had hacked the system and erased almost everything.

In the meantime, I have started over (with the same disk, not thinking it might have been the cause) so I guess I'll see what happens next...

If I do a complete backup of the whole hard drive, do you know if it can be copied directly onto a new disk? I think I read somewhere that the OS system files shouldn't be overwritten, but what about Sentora related files? Maybe someone will offer the list of folders and files that will literally restore Sentora to a new disk.
Thanks given by:
(05-17-2022, 10:29 PM)rsthomas Wrote: Thanks for your response, Nigel!  Honestly, I think I would rather suffer a potential disk failure than to know someone had hacked the system and erased almost everything.

In the meantime, I have started over (with the same disk, not thinking it might have been the cause) so I guess I'll see what happens next...

If I do a complete backup of the whole hard drive, do you know if it can be copied directly onto a new disk?  I think I read somewhere that the OS system files shouldn't be overwritten, but what about Sentora related files?  Maybe someone will offer the list of folders and files that will literally restore Sentora to a new disk.

When I do a backup, I backup every file that Sentora uses.

/etc/sentora
/var/sentora

I also backup the mysql files from the mysql folder (forget which one it is).

Then I just copy everything over to my new install & change the permissions accordingly.
***Retail***
SCPH-39002, Running FCMB, HDD-OSD, Mini-OPL.
SCPH-30002 RSW (Automobile Collection Snow White)
SCPH-10000 x2
SCPH-15000
SCPH-18000 x2
DESR-7700
SCPH-2040X x2
Linux Kit
PSBBN V0.20, V0.30
HDD Utility V1.00, V1.01

***Dev***
DTL-H30102 Running FCMB, HDD-OSD, Mini-OPL.
DTL-H20400 - Boxed
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Server Vs. Workstation zHostingSolutions 4 7 ,596 09-14-2021, 06:30 AM
Last Post: sparkrack
Having both HTTP & HTTPS (Port 443 and Port 80) sites on a server dsmarter 14 41 ,751 08-22-2020, 02:49 PM
Last Post: kenzopoker1
Senator crash problem with mysql provokas 3 9 ,569 08-20-2020, 04:11 AM
Last Post: Your Creator