This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Server Vs. Workstation
Server Vs. Workstation
Hi.

I'm curious about what is the best computer to run a web hosting company on; a server computer, or, a workstation and what's the difference?

I know that server computers are already built for running control panels on but workstations seem to be built for stability and security. Thanks.
Thanks given by:
RE: Server Vs. Workstation
(06-17-2021, 06:25 AM)zHostingSolutions Wrote: Hi.

I'm curious about what is the best computer to run a web hosting company on; a server computer, or, a workstation and what's the difference?

I know that server computers are already built for running control panels on but workstations seem to be built for stability and security. Thanks.

This is what I think

Here's an example a Ubuntu server (shell access only) is more secure than a Ubuntu desktop. 

The server is designed for advanced users and it has minimal apps running( less back doors)

A desktop is easier for beginners.
"Nothing is true; everything is permitted"

Thanks given by:
(06-17-2021, 10:29 AM)spoonman Wrote: This is what I think

Here's an example a Ubuntu server (shell access only) is more secure than a Ubuntu desktop. 

The server is designed for advanced users and it has minimal apps running( less back doors)

A desktop is easier for beginners.

Thanks for replying. However, I'm not talking about, like, with Ubuntu, Windows, etc. I'm talking about the computer itself.

There are Server computers, like: Blade Servers, Edge Servers, High-Density Servers, Mission Critical Servers, ‏Rack Servers and Tower Servers.

There are workstation computers, like: ThinkStation.

I'm wondering if a workstation computer or a server computer would be the best for running server software.

I know that a server computer is specialized for servers but I feel that a workstation computer is best for performance, speed and reliability over a server computer due to workstations being built for heavy loads apposed to server-built computers. I hope this clears it up.

I'm wondering what would be the best type of computer:
1. Server, specialized for webhosting and other remote services
2. Workstation, specialized in heavy loads of performance, speed and stability

What would you guys recommend or is there really a difference? I wish I could afford to build a custom computer that will do both.
Thanks given by:
1. Server, specialized for web-hosting and other remote services

Is what i run but depends on your preference

[Image: Screenshot_.jpg]
Easy come Easy go 
Thanks given by:
You should never run a web hosting server on a Desktop operating system. You can but it's highly discouraged. Because there are unneeded services running.

Your hardware doesn't really matter as long as it has at least the minimum requirements. The rest is up to personal preference, as was stated above.
Brad J Trammell
Director of Operations
SparkRack.com

Send me a message on Discord:
bradjtrammell#8210
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Server Crash rsthomas 3 6 ,429 05-18-2022, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Nigel
Having both HTTP & HTTPS (Port 443 and Port 80) sites on a server dsmarter 14 41 ,746 08-22-2020, 02:49 PM
Last Post: kenzopoker1
Using Sentora to forward HTTP/S traffic to another server RobbGG 1 3 ,846 07-14-2020, 10:27 AM
Last Post: RobbGG