This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Cannot reuse previously deleted email address
Cannot reuse previously deleted email address
A while back, I had created a User Client account and attached a domain and email address to it. Later, I deleted that user client. I have now recreated the user client and domain, but when I try to create the same email address as before the following message is displayed:

"A mailbox, alias, forwarder or distribution list already exists with that name."

I had assumed that when I deleted the user the email address would also be deleted in the process. Where might the address still reside, keeping me from recreating it, and how can I get rid of it?
Thanks given by:
RE: Cannot reuse previously deleted email address
(12-17-2018, 10:37 PM)rsthomas Wrote: A while back, I had created a User Client account and attached a domain and email address to it.  Later, I deleted that user client.  I have now recreated the user client and domain, but when I try to create the same email address as before the following message is displayed:

"A mailbox, alias, forwarder or distribution list already exists with that name."

I had assumed that when I deleted the user the email address would also be deleted in the process.  Where might the address still reside, keeping me from recreating it, and how can I get rid of it?

I cannot recreate this. If I create a user, then create a domain, then a mailbox for that user and domain, and log into the webmail, then send a message, everything works fine.

If I then delete the user completely, and then repeat the above steps with the same information at each step, I can still create a mailbox and still send emails from the new version of the account.

Is your Sentora definitely up-to-date, version 1.0.3?

Are you certain the mailbox doesn't already exist inside another client account?

Keith
Thanks given by:
(12-18-2018, 06:00 AM)fearworks Wrote: I cannot recreate this. If I create a user, then create a domain, then a mailbox for that user and domain, and log into the webmail, then send a message, everything works fine.

If I then delete the user completely, and then repeat the above steps with the same information at each step, I can still create a mailbox and still send emails from the new version of the account.

Is your Sentora definitely up-to-date, version 1.0.3?

Are you certain the mailbox doesn't already exist inside another client account?

Keith

Yes, I am using version 1.0.3.

The email address in question was assigned to the user while creating the User Client on the Create new client account page, before the domain and mailbox was even added. It's as though Sentora has held that address somewhere, and will not allow it to be used again.

When you created the user the second time, did you assign it the same email address as the first time? It would not allow me to do so, not to mention use the address as a mailbox address after I created the user with a different address.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
(12-18-2018, 11:30 AM)rsthomas Wrote: Yes, I am using version 1.0.3.

The email address in question was assigned to the user while creating the User Client on the Create new client account page, before the domain and mailbox was even added.  It's as though Sentora has held that address somewhere, and will not allow it to be used again.

When you created the user the second time, did you assign it the same email address as the first time?  It would not allow me to do so, not to mention use the address as a mailbox address after I created the user with a different address.

No I did not assign the same email address to the client the second time, because that's not what you said in your first message! You said that you assigned a domain and a mailbox to the user the first time, which is a totally different thing to creating a user with that email address in the first place.

To simplify, I see an issue with the client creation system:

1. Create a client with email address test@domain.com (on the client creation screen).
2. Delete this client.
3. Try step 1 again. You get an error: Another user account is already using this email address.

I'm not sure if this is by design or if we can call it a bug... is this in any way what you are experiencing?

If so, I'm sure there's a simply tweak we can make to the PHP code... but I can't see any link between email addresses used when signing up a client's account, and creating mailboxes within a client account. There may be something if I dig deeper but nothing at first glance.

Let me know if this looks familiar at all.

Keith.
Thanks given by:
(12-18-2018, 12:52 PM)fearworks Wrote: No I did not assign the same email address to the client the second time, because that's not what you said in your first message! You said that you assigned a domain and a mailbox to the user the first time, which is a totally different thing to creating a user with that email address in the first place.

To simplify, I see an issue with the client creation system:

1. Create a client with email address test@domain.com (on the client creation screen).
2. Delete this client.
3. Try step 1 again. You get an error: Another user account is already using this email address.

I'm not sure if this is by design or if we can call it a bug... is this in any way what you are experiencing?

If so, I'm sure there's a simply tweak we can make to the PHP code... but I can't see any link between email addresses used when signing up a client's account, and creating mailboxes within a client account. There may be something if I dig deeper but nothing at first glance.

Let me know if this looks familiar at all.

Keith.

Sorry for the confusion, but you have described it correctly. Thanks.
Thanks given by:
(12-18-2018, 09:25 PM)rsthomas Wrote: Sorry for the confusion, but you have described it correctly.  Thanks.

Ok I'll have a look at the PHP code and see what would need tweaking to prevent this behaviour.

Keith
Thanks given by:
This is done by design and has been explained too many times to count.

The emails used for the client during signup are never deleted completely. They get 'marked' deleted and kept for a few reasons. One being so spammers can not reuse the email to create new accounts. Another is so that you have a record of all the clients you have had on your server.

Sentora does this with many other things too. (Marks them as deleted instead of full delete.)

If, like me, you do a lot of testing and things, I made a module that allows you to clean out this saved information.

It's called the 'Deleted Records Manager'. Install that and you can delete testing records or accounts as needed.

[MODULE] Deleted Records Manager [ALL-OS]
-TGates - Project Council

SEARCH the Forums or read the DOCUMENTATION before posting!
Support Sentora and Donate: HERE

Find my support or modules useful? Donate to TGates HERE
Developers and code testers needed!
Contact TGates for more information
Thanks given by: prasanna8519
(12-20-2018, 07:46 AM)TGates Wrote: This is done by design and has been explained too many times to count.

The emails used for the client during signup are never deleted completely. They get 'marked' deleted and kept for a few reasons. One being so spammers can not reuse the email to create new accounts. Another is so that you have a record of all the clients you have had on your server.

Sentora does this with many other things too. (Marks them as deleted instead of full delete.)

If, like me, you do a lot of testing and things, I made a module that allows you to clean out this saved information.

It's called the 'Deleted Records Manager'. Install that and you can delete testing records or accounts as needed.

[MODULE] Deleted Records Manager [ALL-OS]

I get marking them as deleted for historical records, but not sure why it prevents the email address being used again by design. If you have a customer who leaves (and you close/delete their account) and then comes back, you want to be able to create them a new account. Can't see how this would prevent spam - am I missing something?

Keith.
Thanks given by:
(12-20-2018, 10:51 AM)fearworks Wrote: I get marking them as deleted for historical records, but not sure why it prevents the email address being used again by design. If you have a customer who leaves (and you close/delete their account) and then comes back, you want to be able to create them a new account. Can't see how this would prevent spam - am I missing something?

Keith.

Well, because it was being designed for free hosting, so when people signup for free accounts it's becomes a security measure. If a spammer can get away using the same email address over and over it's 100x easier to create fake accounts.

If a client drops your hosting, 99% of the time they do not return.

The other 1% of that being the very few who may return 'someday' if they even bother with hosting again let alone choosing the same provider. This is the reason why I created the admin module Deleted Records Manager and for being able to deleted all the domains, accounts, etc. that build up from testing.

I wasn't part of the coding team originally (but was on staff for everything else) Bobby decided that's what he was going to do and did it.
-TGates - Project Council

SEARCH the Forums or read the DOCUMENTATION before posting!
Support Sentora and Donate: HERE

Find my support or modules useful? Donate to TGates HERE
Developers and code testers needed!
Contact TGates for more information
Thanks given by:
(12-20-2018, 11:55 AM)TGates Wrote: Well, because it was being designed for free hosting, so when people signup for free accounts it's becomes a security measure. If a spammer can get away using the same email address over and over it's 100x easier to create fake accounts.

If a client drops your hosting, 99% of the time they do not return.

The other 1% of that being the very few who may return 'someday' if they even bother with hosting again let alone choosing the same provider. This is the reason why I created the admin module Deleted Records Manager and for being able to deleted all the domains, accounts, etc. that build up from testing.

I wasn't part of the coding team originally (but was on staff for everything else) Bobby decided that's what he was going to do and did it.

Yes that makes sense, particularly in a free hosting environment.

But I didn't think we were talking about being to reuse an address multiple times - just simply changing the system so that if an admin or reseller creates a client, the code only checks against accounts that are still active and haven't been deleted, to determine if the account can be created or not. At the moment, it checks if there was ever an account with that email address, whereas I think it would work better - certainly for me, and apparently for the OP - if it checks against only non-deleted accounts. Then, of course, if you create the fresh account, and someone later tries to use the same address, this would be forbidden as there would be an active account using that address.

Keith.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Email has suddenly stopped coming through rsthomas 4 4 ,679 10-12-2022, 09:29 PM
Last Post: rsthomas
can not send email - SMTP error on roundcube wolvepy 9 28 ,977 01-03-2020, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Telepuzik
SMTP Error every time i try to send an email wormsunited 7 18 ,709 12-22-2018, 08:02 AM
Last Post: TGates