This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

BIND not started...but somehow answering requests.
BIND not started...but somehow answering requests.
I just want to post this first, first time poster...new to Sentora, but longtime linux administrator... I'm not a newbie.

So I use Webmin on all of my servers in addition to having Sentora, CSF and a few other programs we use to manage the machines.

What I've noticed is that BIND (named) appears to not be running on my Sentora servers (according to Webmin), but is some how answering DNS requests for some domains. I'm not sure how that is happening. I know that Sentora has it's own included zone files in named.conf, but is it preventing BIND from starting or using it's own binary or is it using the binary installed on the system? And why would it be preventing Webmin from reporting BIND's status correctly?

Also continuously getting errors when attempting to setup new domains. Before I'm asked, yes...DNS zone is created in Sentora, BIND status shows it's running, and port is open allowing query requests.

But still getting this error.
https://intodns.com/ventracommunications.com

Any further recommendations would be appreciated. I would like to troubleshoot the issue, however I don't know how the CP is coded, so I'd rather not break it and have to flash the entire server if there is a more simple solution.

Cheers.

~ B
Thanks given by:
RE: BIND not started...but somehow answering requests.
Please disregard the post about intodns not showing the records.

Long story short an intern had typed the domain name incorrectly then tried to cover it up. We found that out after reimaging the server and configuring it once more.

The question still remains, why is Webmin reporting BIND as stopped when it's clearly running on the server, and loading the zones for this server?

~ B
Thanks given by:
Dodgy  darn interns Tongue

The dependencies Sentora install are all default for a web server from the OS's respective repositories. The only thing it changes during the install of these services are the configuration files so that they all play nicely together and allow Sentora to control them.

I'm not sure why it's not reporting in webmin. I use webmin (1.820) on an Ubuntu 14.04 box with Sentora 1.0.3 w/BIND version 9.9.5 and webmin is reporting all services up and running. Although, I know there are some major differences between Ubuntu 14 and CentOS 7... Confused  It may be a question for Webmin support.
-TGates - Project Council

SEARCH the Forums or read the DOCUMENTATION before posting!
Support Sentora and Donate: HERE

Find my support or modules useful? Donate to TGates HERE
Developers and code testers needed!
Contact TGates for more information
Thanks given by:
[quote pid='18774' dateline='1481520858']
(12-12-2016, 03:34 PM)TGates Wrote: darn interns

[/quote]
agreed. -_-
(12-12-2016, 03:34 PM)TGates Wrote: I use webmin (1.820) on an Ubuntu 14.04 box with Sentora 1.0.3 w/BIND version 9.9.5 and Webmin is reporting all services up and running. Although, I know there are some major differences between Ubuntu 14 and CentOS 7... Confused  It may be a question for Webmin support.
Configuration on this box (and others running Centos 7.3) are as follows:
- BIND 9.9.4
- Webmin 1.820
- CSF 9.28
It appears to be only affecting Centos based systems. As for reaching out to Webmin, I've done so and they said that it reports back the status. Which is running but because the zones are controlled by Sentora, it would be a Sentora issue.
Do we know when Sentora will officially be supported on Fedora? I'd much rather use that since it appears to be more stable than Centos (and I can't stand Ubuntu, but to each their own.)
Thanks given by:
Interesting, I'm sure other panels do the exact same thing as they need to control the zone files also. If this only happens on Sentora and no other panels makes me wonder also. I'm not sure where to turn now. Maybe Me.B has an idea?

Thanks given by:
Could you show log error you have?

I think that centos is more stable than fedora. As fedora is more the expermental (next release) for the redhat branch. And centos is focused on servers support.

M B
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by:
(12-13-2016, 06:45 AM)Me.B Wrote: I think that centos is more stable than fedora. As fedora is more the expermental (next release) for the redhat branch. And centos is focused on servers support.

I use Fedora for everything else, and I never seem to have any issues with it. CentOS is always the OS that gives me issues. Haha. Not sure why it works that way. Fedora is extremely stable for me.

In regards to the error log, any particular one you are looking for? or the general error log in /var/log/messages?
Thanks given by:
I know this is completely off topic, but I'd love to see Windows support come back. I realize that was a zPanel thing, but I mean it gave small hosting companies and business owners the chance to run it on either platform easily. Any chance that'll ever come back (i'd rather not use zPanel since it appears there's no support for it)
Thanks given by:
(12-13-2016, 11:05 AM)bradjtrammell Wrote: I know this is completely off topic, but I'd love to see Windows support come back. I realize that was a zPanel thing, but I mean it gave small hosting companies and business owners the chance to run it on either platform easily. Any chance that'll ever come back (i'd rather not use zPanel since it appears there's no support for it)

There is no direct way, but this will help upgrade from zPanel 10.1.1 to Sentora 1.0.3: https://github.com/TGates71/Sentora-Windows-Upgrade
It is not 100% conversion, but it worked up to a year ago (That's when I switched to Ubuntu)

Thanks given by:
Damn.

Any chance we'll see Sentora support Windows and Fedora?

Or is this just wishful thinking?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Address allready : Make shock could not bind 0.0.0.0:80 Sentora foreveralone 0 3 ,525 09-06-2015, 12:27 PM
Last Post: foreveralone
(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:443 foreveralone 3 10 ,300 08-21-2015, 10:46 PM
Last Post: kandrews
Sentora Panel Responding To All Requests faicec 2 8 ,703 05-03-2015, 08:34 PM
Last Post: faicec