This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Root Password
Root Password
So just wondering - is there any way to get the root password from passwords.txt WITHOUT ssh? I was trying to follow a tutorial on security by disabling root access and just allowing certain users to login and then switch to root access but afterwords realized the root password was in that file and now I cant get into my own root goldenrod any of the public_html folders. I'm locked out and I've tried everything I could find but still can't access any folders in root or host data. I wish sentora had a file manager inside the co because I can log in there Any suggestions? Thanks foI the help. Smile
Thanks given by:
RE: Root Password
why do you need give permission to people to log in the server?
man i hope you figure it out -- where is your server hosted? cloud or private?
Thanks given by:
Sentora doesn't setup the actual root password, that's only for the Sentora Control Panel itself, the "zadmin" password.

If you want to change your root password, login to SSH using whatever username you setup with the OS and then type su -l

It'll ask for your password and give you elevated permissions.

Once you've logged in, you can type: sudo passwd root

That'll change the root password. No one should have access to root on your system. In fact, most disable it from the get go.
Thanks given by:
What ssh program are you using? I use bitvise @ bitvise (dot)com as it has a ftp tunneler built into it. Not sure if you will be able to see the root folder but you should be able to.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
Russ
Co-Owner
KTMGaming.net
Thanks given by:
There are a few things the above members failed to mention:

The server root user has nothing to do with the database root user that Sentora uses.
The server root user password is NOT in the passwords.txt file so that is no help for SSH logins.

And no. There are no FTP modules/programs that Sentora uses that will allow you to view the password.txt file since FTP accounts are locked down to each user's individual hosting folders.

This search maybe more helpful to your needs: Google: recover root password centos 7

It's reasons like these I prefer to keep the server root user active but use private keys instead of passwords for SSH logins. Google: using ssh keys instead of passwords

My preferred program for accessing my server is WinSCP. It has many useful features all in one program like SSH access, FTP access, GUI file manager and command line (uses putty) as well as a few other very useful features like creating key pairs for password-less SSH logins (key logins).
-TGates - Project Council

SEARCH the Forums or read the DOCUMENTATION before posting!
Support Sentora and Donate: HERE

Find my support or modules useful? Donate to TGates HERE
Developers and code testers needed!
Contact TGates for more information
Thanks given by:
Hey tgates I think you got confused he was asking about server root password and it is listed in password.txt on every install I have used. Winscp is a great tool but don't you have to pay for that? That's why I use bitvise as it is free and allows everything you stated. The only issue with either program is that the password.txt file is placed in the root folder and logging into a ftp tunneler using something other than root I am not sure you can gain access to the folder/file.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
Russ
Co-Owner
KTMGaming.net
Thanks given by:
Huh
I have already explained and answered everything you just posted in my previous post.

The SERVER root password is NOT in passwords.txt that is generated by Sentora Installer. It is MySQL root password. Totally different. I am not confused. I have been working on this project since ZPanel 3.x.x. I have installed ZPanel and Sentora 100's of times on Windows, Ubuntu and CentOS. I do know what I am talking about. Angel

Code:
Server IP address : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Panel URL         : http://panel.domain.com
zadmin Password   : **************

MySQL Root Password      : **************
MySQL Postfix Password   : **************
MySQL ProFTPd Password   : **************
MySQL Roundcube Password : **************

Show me where the SERVER root password is?

WinSCP is free.

The only way to view the passwords.txt file is through SSH and it is owned by server root user/group.

Accessing passwords.txt through ftp WILL NOT WORK if it is an account created through Sentora.

Thanks given by:
(10-20-2016, 11:59 PM)TGates Wrote: Huh
I have already explained and answered everything you just posted in my previous post.

The SERVER root password is NOT in passwords.txt that is generated by Sentora Installer. It is MySQL root password. Totally different. I am not confused. I have been working on this project since ZPanel 3.x.x. I have installed ZPanel and Sentora 100's of times on Windows, Ubuntu and CentOS. I do know what I am talking about. Angel

Code:
Server IP address : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Panel URL         : http://panel.domain.com
zadmin Password   : **************

MySQL Root Password      : **************
MySQL Postfix Password   : **************
MySQL ProFTPd Password   : **************
MySQL Roundcube Password : **************

Show me where the SERVER root password is?
WinSCP is free.

The only way to view the passwords.txt file is through SSH and it is owned by server root user/group.

Accessing passwords.txt through ftp WILL NOT WORK if it is an account created through Sentora.

Hey Tgates,

First off I am sorry if I offended you. That was not my intention.
Russ
Co-Owner
KTMGaming.net
Thanks given by:
It is not as much offending, but more frustrating. I had to explain the answer twice in the same thread. I do know and understand the language gap with many of our members which makes things even more difficult.

I saw 'root password' in the title and figured it was MySQL root password, as that is Sentora related. But once I read the situation, this is not a 'Sentora' issue rather a 'server' issue not related to Sentora in any way. We help where we can, but Sentora in and of itself is our expertise Big Grin 

No worries.

Anyways, as you can see in the example, the server root password is not there. This is why I had posted a Google link to help the OP reset his root password for his OS.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
root limits sentora thanhlan2103 0 2 ,995 11-02-2018, 06:11 PM
Last Post: thanhlan2103
sentora root limits mohamadcom 4 9 ,819 01-25-2018, 08:21 AM
Last Post: TGates
ROOT Login CMs222 6 11 ,994 01-25-2018, 07:50 AM