This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

SFTP Module
SFTP Module
Its about time someone made a SFTP module or upgraded the proftpd to run over ssl.

I'm thinking of either writing a new module using SSH subsystem or re-configuring proftpd.

Idea for SSH subsystem:

CentOS Guide:
http://red.zvps.co.uk/projects/zvps-desi...Sub_System

Ubuntu Guide:
http://red.zvps.co.uk/projects/zvps-desi...s_over_SSH

Home directories would be set in /var/zpanel/hostdata/{{username}}/* when creating the unix users. This would also enable ssh keypair auth for sftp users Smile
Thanks given by:
RE: SFTP Module
allowing SSH for me is a mess. No need but SFTP yes as long we use instead SSL over FTP mainly and don't mess up with SSH.

M B
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a great idea Kev! Personally I find SSH file transfer MUCH faster than FTP on my slow internet connection.
Before posting, update your profile with your OS, Sentora version and server type!

Thanks given by:
Jacob I do it all the time but won't offer it any way to customers.
How to ask

Thanks given by:
Me.B if you look at the guides you can see the users are safely jailed. We have this working in a corporate environment with over 100 users. It is the best way i know to setup sftp only users via the ssh subsystem.

Its not a standard ssh user Smile

@Jacob i find the sftp subsystem much more reliable at transferring lots of files over a slow internet connection than proftpd...

Anyway i'm proposing this as either a 3rd party module or a replacement. It will be voted on at some point Smile
Thanks given by:
Hmm been thinking... I don't like the idea of allowing SSH...

BUT this work could prepare for suEXEC as we will need to setup a user for each account and set tight permission Big Grin Big Grin
How to ask

Thanks given by:
This doesn't allow SSH, the shell would be forced to SFTP meaning they can't run any linux commands Smile

suExec is something i have been slowely working towards however the current state of the app can't cope with it. Version 1.1 or 1.2 i would recommend having a look into it.
Thanks given by:
As a follow-up to this, I have actually implemented my own solution to this problem by tackling both suEXEC and SFTP. I've created a project on GitHub called "Sentora Secured" to accomplish helping set this all up. It's still in early development and is something I hope see come to the official project! Be sure to check out my original post on the matter: [ http://forums.sentora.org/showthread.php?tid=902 ].
Welcome to a new age of hosting.
GalacticWebspace.com
Thanks given by: iTpain
I think the best way is to change ProFTPd configuration to use viartualhost.

There is no reason to create/delete users or jail them in open SSH ports or even add/replace modules causing an administrative overhead, is very simple with the original sentora FTP module just with a few configuration changes.
See this sFTP configuration file taken from the sentora-paranoid security project.
Thanks given by:
Yeah I agree that it would have been easy to setup virtual hosts with the default FTP program, but I was looking to tackle a few other security issues. I didn't like the idea of how using FTP will send data across the Internet in plain text. While you could setup up FTP with SSL support (FTPS), disabling FTP entirely and focusing on Linux users with SSH FTP (SFTP) support helped also with setting up suEXEC.

The main goal I am trying to get at here is adding in suEXEC into Apache so users have a safer environment. On a test VPS I have with a fresh Sentora installation, I was able to find and modify different users files with a simple PHP script simply because every file and is owned and executed by the same Apache user by default. The Sentora Secured script helps to add in more individual and secure ownerships that fix this issue. The lack of native suEXEC alone is the primary reason why I don't use Sentora on my production servers and will be sticking with cPanel for the time being. However, I still have great hopes for the future of Sentora!
Welcome to a new age of hosting.
GalacticWebspace.com
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Fixing backup module Me.B 18 54 ,491 09-13-2017, 03:45 AM
Last Post: TGates
Client / Reseller Migration Module obrienj619 1 5 ,942 08-14-2016, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Me.B