This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

How To Block NTP-based DDoS attacks
RE: How To Block NTP-based DDoS attacks
(09-15-2014, 10:06 AM)TGates Wrote: http://configserver.com/cp/csf.html

I personally have not seen an open source or software based firewall that can block DDOS. Many of the firewall vendors are able to sell their firewalls for thousands of dollars because they write proprietary logic into them that the open source packages don't have.

The only one that may do it is a firewall called "Untangle". It is a very powerful firewall that is commercial but free. The company sells advanced modules if you want them. The thing comes with everything you need to stop a DDOS attack and may do what you want. I have never tested it against a DDOS though.

They have a concept in it called the "bullpen" where bad IPs get blacklisted automatically but it doesn't seem to have the same logic or strength of a commercial firewall. Give it a try. It only takes a few minutes to load. 

I will note the same thing I tell everyone - If you are going to run a product like Sentora, you need to seriously consider investing in good firewalls. They are the difference between you being brought down and surviving. If I didn't have my Watchguards in place, my hosting company would not be running right now. A good firewall is worth every penny. 

Scott
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
How To Block NTP-based DDoS attacks - by MET4LG0D - 09-14-2014, 10:16 PM
RE: How To Block NTP-based DDoS attacks - by Me.B - 09-15-2014, 12:47 AM
RE: How To Block NTP-based DDoS attacks - by smccarthy945 - 09-15-2014, 07:25 PM
RE: How To Block NTP-based DDoS attacks - by Me.B - 09-15-2014, 08:21 PM
RE: How To Block NTP-based DDoS attacks - by Me.B - 09-16-2014, 03:29 AM