This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

From ZPanel upto Sentora
From ZPanel upto Sentora
Short and resumed history :

1) For many years Ballen (Bobby Allen) has run the ZPanel project. At the end of 2013, he was tired to do all the management and a proposal from Hostwinds was accepted to transfer them the full ownership of the whole project and resources. Hostwinds become free to use the project as advertisement support with the counterpart that they would ensure its management.
Hostwinds got the project on January 14th 2014, but nothing was done to really manage the project and as time passed more and more things were waiting because nobody of the team had anymore access to the main hosting, to infos about donations and registration for "priority one", to the domains for repositories, etc.

2) In July, Bobby made the decision to fork the project in order to breathe life back into the project, with Sentora that would focus on a Linux version while Windows version may remain under ZPanel. Sentora.io became a reality, but Bobby was always submitted to queries and recrimination until he decided it was too much and choose to stop everything that involved him with Sentora/ZPanel.

3) We, Tom (TGates), Sam (motters) and Pascal (5050), did not want the project to continue to fail, nor to continue to wait again on Hostwinds. So we decided to rebuild a new project environment that is http://sentora.org and to move it to a 'group ownership' that is fully controlled by all ownership members, to ensure it can survive if any one (or more) members leave.

Thank you for your attention,
The "New Sentora team"
RE: From ZPanel upto Sentora
Hi 5050,

To clarify, does this mean Bobby has left the Sentora project? I'm confused.
Thanks given by:
Bobby has indeed left the project due to pressure from Hostwinds to keep the project under their domain (long story cut short).

However the core team of ZPanelCP did not sign a thing, meaning we are free to fork the GNU licensed code and continue development in a direction we consider to be right.

I've been on the development team since version 5.0.5 and will continue (like all the others) supporting and pushing Sentora Smile
Thanks given by:
We are still committed to the project and we will do our best to push it further.

Like you we are using it in production and won't let it die that way. So are focus is on next maintenance release that will set some bug fixes and re-branding, considered as transitional release.

And we are already trying to focus on another release that would follow and include enhancement and more fixes.

M B
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by:
off topic, but kandrews, didnt you used to be CaffineAddict back in the day?
Need a good VPS Host? Check Out Digital Ocean! https://www.digitalocean.com/?refcode=5cc7d2894482
Thanks given by:
Hi webnetvn,

My previous forum name was indeed Caffeine Addict Smile I'm still about and actively developing sentora!

I've put a new htaccess module into the core already and will be testing and refining the installers/updaters over the next few weeks Smile
Thanks given by:
Any expected date by which we can expected the official release of Sentora ??
-----------------------x------------------------
Software :- CentOS 6.5 x86 / zPanel 10.1.1 / WordPress and CopperMine
VPS (Could) :- Intel Xeon E5-2630L v2 @ 2.40Ghz / 512MB RAM / 20GB SSD / 512MB Swap
Hosting : - Digital Ocean
Need Help :- How to transfer the VPS from zPanel to Sentora and then how to install SSL for the website
Thanks given by:
We are battleting mainly with installers and centos 7/ U 14 last issues. The code is almost frozen. It was expected to turn beta last week but website issue slowed us a bit.

We still need beta testers.

M B
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by:
Hi,

Not trying to be funny but it did stand out a mile that Once Hostwinds got hold of the zPanel
project that things would slowly come to a head.  Angry

They really only wanted it for them selves. Bobby used to work really hard on it for all of us.

Best of Luck Bobby, I think we all hope to see you back here in the near Future.  Idea
Thanks given by:
@Me.B: I'm willing to beta-test with some VPS's here. I have the old ZpanelCP Installs on my production machine and need a path to upgrade them Smile

Looking forward to helping out where i can.

Joe Brouhard
WebKnight Design and Development
joe@wkwebdesigns.com
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sentora v2.0.2 SitRep TGates 2 928 03-16-2024, 11:58 AM
Last Post: TGates
Sentora for Developers TGates 0 878 02-12-2024, 12:10 PM
EOL Sentora v1.x.x and ZPanel No Longer Supported TGates 0 564 01-24-2024, 12:03 PM