This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Nginx support
RE: Nginx support
(02-23-2016, 05:51 AM)Me.B Wrote: varnish don't support ssl nginx yes and it can replace apache.

Varnish might not support SSL, but that is not the point here.
Varnish Cache does not support SSL, however Varnish Reverse Proxy and Load Balancer supports SSL.
(however you can still support SSL http://davidbu.ch/mann/blog/2015-03-20/v...pache.html but I believe it is not the best pick).

NGinx will create a entry barrier, most users have familiarity with apache and .htaccess files and there are plenty of newbiew resources on the internet available for apache.
Using NGinx only for speed will change Sentora userbase (I'm not even saying we will have less users, only different users).
Not even speaking about the upgrade considerations and the support needed to accommodate that.
I do not believe NGinx is a viable alternative at this moment for Sentora for various reasons already stated above.

For speed and load balancing Varnish is a easy drop-in alternative that brings nothing negative, the user will keep using apache (just on a different port).
My Sentora Resources
[Module] Mail Quota Count | Vagrant Box with Sentora

[Image: vanguardly-logo-micro.png]
Graphic and Web Design. Development.
www.vanguardly.com

Thanks given by:
I have varnish to up front apache. And sure you're right it is very fast and easy going. But you can only use it if users can enable or disable at there housing account them self. Because not all website and application works good with varnish as we experience so standard enable varnish for all users will give trouble. We had a Sentora server one's with some 80 accounts and there where at least 4 users complaining about there site not working properly, mainly webshops. We ended up manually adding rules to varnish to skip the cache for those site.
[Image: logo2.png]

My being on this forum is all personal and all is done here by me has nothing to with the company Web Improved I work for Smile
Thanks given by:
http://www.haproxy.org/ support ssl.

By the way never thinking about dropping apache. But may be a replacement if you want.
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by:
We have also a server compiled with Opcache. Works pretty good too as cache

My being on this forum is all personal and all is done here by me has nothing to with the company Web Improved I work for Smile
Thanks given by:
We could also add opcache & apc cache enable/disable per site, I think that would apply in apache/nginx.

I've tested already in apache enable disable gzip per website. worked fine.

On nginx we will need php-fpm, wich will imply we may be able to set a php.ini per user/site.

I will for sure release an alpha implementation of nginx for testing and feedback later, before we it get even implemented in sentora.
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by:
(02-23-2016, 08:27 AM)bbspike Wrote: I have varnish to up front apache. And sure you're right it is very fast and easy going. But you can only use it if users can enable or disable at there housing account them self. Because not all website and application works good with varnish as we experience so standard enable varnish for all users will give trouble. We had a Sentora server one's with some 80 accounts and there where at least 4 users complaining about there site not working properly, mainly webshops. We ended up manually adding rules to varnish to skip the cache for those site.

All you said is right, but if you read my post you will see I said "Varnish as a Reverse Proxy with Caching Disabled by Default"

Just to clarify
My Sentora Resources

www.vanguardly.com

Thanks given by:
(02-24-2016, 10:35 PM)apinto Wrote:
(02-23-2016, 08:27 AM)bbspike Wrote: I have varnish to up front apache. And sure you're right it is very fast and easy going. But you can only use it if users can enable or disable at there housing account them self. Because not all website and application works good with varnish as we experience so standard enable varnish for all users will give trouble. We had a Sentora server one's with some 80 accounts and there where at least 4 users complaining about there site not working properly, mainly webshops. We ended up manually adding rules to varnish to skip the cache for those site.

All you said is right, but if you read my post you will see I said "Varnish as a Reverse Proxy with Caching Disabled by Default"

Just to clarify

Ahh okeSmile except for ssl then. Use only as reverse and balancer then maybe Pound is better to intergrate.

Thanks given by:
(02-24-2016, 10:57 PM)bbspike Wrote:
(02-24-2016, 10:35 PM)apinto Wrote:

Just to clarify

Ahh okeSmile except for ssl then. Use only as reverse and balancer then maybe Pound is better to intergrate.

Even for SSL it works as a Reverse Proxy.
My Sentora Resources

www.vanguardly.com

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Ubuntu 12.04 end of support Me.B 2 7 ,564 04-19-2017, 05:09 AM
Last Post: Me.B
SSL support in sentora Me.B 9 26 ,221 09-16-2016, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Nigel