This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Permission problem
Permission problem
Hi, I was having some weird issue with my Xenforo installation on my server so I was having someone from Xenforo Team trying to have a look at it. He couldn't manage to get on the FTP account for some reason so we tried my SFTP account instead, that worked. However he couldn't get the permission to browse the web files in /var/sentora/hostdata/<usr>/domain so I stupidly enough did a "chown -R user:grp /var/sentora/hostdata" and now I can't enter my domains without getting "You don't have permission to access / on this server."

How can I solve this without re-installing? I do not want to reinstall the entire server at all. Please say there's another way..
Thanks given by:
RE: Permission problem
chown -R www-data:www-data /var/sentora/hostdata not root

Don't touch the permission or it will blow up the server.
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by: Totte
(02-16-2016, 07:11 AM)Me.B Wrote: chown -R www-data:www-data /var/sentora/hostdata not root

Don't touch the permission or it will blow up the server.

Oh my god, thank you! You sir are awesome! Had half an heart attack there for a second thinking I'd have to reinstall the entire server. No more touching permissions on my behalf.
Thanks given by:
Also take care when you upload files using SSH they will get root or user as owner you will need to revert them back to www-data currently as we apache need that user.

M B
How to ask

Thanks given by:
(02-16-2016, 07:30 AM)Me.B Wrote: Also take care when you upload files using SSH they will get root or user as owner you will need to revert them back to www-data currently as we apache need that user.

M B

Alright, I shall keep that in mind. Thanks!

Got this other problem now tho, where he can't connect to the FTP. The FTP connection seems to only be working locally and not remotely.
Thanks given by:
Are you using a firewall? May be you should allow PASV port in firewall.
How to ask

Thanks given by:
Server is behind dmz so all ports should be open.
Thanks given by:
no iptables running??
How to ask

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Problem with roundcube pgh2011 0 2 ,306 01-30-2021, 12:48 AM
Last Post: pgh2011
Import zpanel settings problem pgh2011 0 2 ,303 12-30-2020, 07:08 PM
Last Post: pgh2011
Senator crash problem with mysql provokas 3 9 ,730 08-20-2020, 04:11 AM
Last Post: Your Creator