This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

not able to log in?
not able to log in?
Hello all!

I just installed sentora on a web server and try to get to know it and see how it works.

I had no issues installing it and running it at home and I accessed the cpanel from my home pc without issues. I even created a user account and logged into that user's cpanel as well.

I was able to ssh to the server without issues and all was fine. However when I tried to log in from my work computer nothing was available. I was getting access denied errors from Putty and err_empty_responce when trying to connect via the cpanel web interface.

Am I missing something?
Thanks given by:
RE: not able to log in?
Sounds like you didn't set up your firewall: http://docs.sentora.org/?node=40
-TGates - Project Council

SEARCH the Forums or read the DOCUMENTATION before posting!
Support Sentora and Donate: HERE

Find my support or modules useful? Donate to TGates HERE
Developers and code testers needed!
Contact TGates for more information
Thanks given by: escozul
(02-03-2016, 09:51 PM)TGates Wrote: Sounds like you didn't set up your firewall: http://docs.sentora.org/?node=40

Well... I haven't set up a firewall as far as I remember.

Unless sentora did that for me. in that case shouldn't the ports be open by default? and how do I go about opening the ports on a system that I have no information on which firewall I even use...

However let me note 2 things

1. I can SSH to the server, I just get an access denied error when providing the password which in other ways works perfectly from the console of the virtual machine (the VPS). Besides, I did the whole setup of sentora via SSH from my home pc. Just my work computer was not connecting...

2. I was perfectly able to log into the web control panel and administration of my first user from home. that's 2 accounts I was able to log into the web interface. If I had the firewall up, wouldn't I have trouble also from home? Why do I get err_connection_refused only from my work pc?

Anyway, any pointers for opening up the firewall through the console would really be extremely helpful

Thank you for your reply too.
Thanks given by:
Basically you need to forward the ports (in that list) in your router to point to your server.

Thanks given by:
(02-04-2016, 12:39 AM)TGates Wrote: Basically you need to forward the ports (in that list) in your router to point to your server.

my router?

You mean the one at the office router?

I don't think that the documentation here http://docs.sentora.org/?node=40 speaks about a router. IT's pretty clear that it refers to the firewall on the server. The setup is pretty straightforward and quite logical for a software firewall of a server.

My server at the moment does not have a firewall.

Besides, I don't believe that there is a router in the world that blocks port 80, 20 or 22 or any of the other ones (110, 25 etc)

Maybe the mysql port 3306 might be the only one that needs to be opened IF you host the mysql server on your own computer.

Right now everything is on my vps. It's my VPS I can't access. The VPS is located at a service provider. Not at home. It's an actual paid VPS with all ports open, ready to accept any cpanel you want to manage it's web resources. There is no router I can control there. The console I'm talking about is a webconsole powered by softvnc that gives a much lower access to the vps than the ssh does. Since it does not rely on a service that runs after boot, you may access the vmware bios etc. It's not located on my home network though. My hosting provider provided that setup.
Thanks given by:
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my first comment about the firewall ports.
And I notice that the Doc page does not mention port forwarding if using a router. I will fix that later.

You said the server is at home... So, you have to forward the same firewall ports to your server's IP in your router.

Thanks given by:
(02-04-2016, 06:17 AM)TGates Wrote: Sorry, I wasn't clear in my first comment about the firewall ports.
And I notice that the Doc page does not mention port forwarding if using a router. I will fix that later.

You said the server is at home... So, you have to forward the same firewall ports to your server's IP in your router.

Hello,

I see where the confusion is now
I did not say that the server is at home. I just said that at home I had no problem installing and accessing it.
The webserver is just at a provider of webserver services and I access it through ssh and a web console. It is definitely not at home.

anyway, I returned home and tried to connect through ssh and web interface and had the same issues. I was unable to connect so the server now is completely inaccessible.

However from my home pc, when I try to connect I receive the following:

Code:
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host is
SHA256:9rZe9+XzpUm5JZUj6hDCOxfqZbIAnZUbT3Qz92aljTk.
Please contact your system administrator.
Add correct host key in /Volumes/Data/Users/escozul/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending RSA key in /Volumes/Data/Users/escozul/.ssh/known_hosts:7
RSA host key for androutsos.co has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed.

only way I can communicate with my server now is through the web interface of the vps provider. ssh and sentora web interface do not work.
Thanks given by:
Yikes! Looks like you need to re-install everything including OS and make sure you have strong passwords!

Thanks given by:
(02-05-2016, 02:23 AM)TGates Wrote: Yikes! Looks like you need to re-install everything including OS and make sure you have strong passwords!

You suspect a rootkit?

a hacker?

I seriously doubt that. I mean it might happen but it's soooo remote that I definitely doubt that. I mean the hacker must have been right there waiting for me to install and then within half an hour to just go in and mess all up. You see the ip address changes each time I make a new image. Anyways I will reimage right now since I need to use the server and will install sentora at a later time
Thanks given by:
nope this error doesn't mean a hacker. Likely as you use vmware/virtuabox or alike and diffent Vm's on same ip, switching machine will trigger this error as each have a different SSH key while on same IP.

M B
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by: TGates