This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

sentora ready for production?
sentora ready for production?
Hi all,
my current system is zpnael and i want to move sentora but of all the thread i read here its seems that sentora is not fully ready,

can you help my to decide if this is the time to move production? or not

thank you in advanced. Blush Confused Huh
Thanks given by:
RE: sentora ready for production?
Well all i can say is !

Save your production server, and try to upgrade to sentora on a test server using your save !
Thanks given by:
Similar problem here, but I've never used zPanel before. I have to do many things by hand, e. g. the installer doesn't install Postfix on Debian or the one and another senseless error (e. g. I can't create subdomains or mailboxes because I would allegedly use a wrong format or something). There are not many bugs but they occure on essential places (at least on my system). The support is very - please don't take it personally - rare.
Thanks given by:
Hi,

youi are talking about a clean fresh install and you get problems with it ?

Cause even in Beta postfix and everything was Ok !

Did you install it on fresh server? without apache, postfix, sql, bind.... etc. ?

Did you tried to change the distribution ?
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2015, 02:25 AM)DrFeelgood Wrote: Similar problem here, but I've never used zPanel before. I have to do many things by hand, e. g. the installer doesn't install Postfix on Debian or the one and another senseless error (e. g. I can't create subdomains or mailboxes because I would allegedly use a wrong format or something). There are not many bugs but they occure on essential places (at least on my system). The support is very - please don't take it personally - rare.

Actually, FREE support on Sentora Forums is very good, shall you need premium support it gets even better and faster.
That aside, most of the issues with support are regarding bad questions; Good questions are usually answered fast and with quality.

Regarding being production ready, short answer is YES.

Long answer, depends on your needs and your know how about server management; nobody without any server management knowledge should try to run a big production ready server (regardless the software it uses). However if you have solid knowledge, using Sentora is a good choice, considering its free Sentora is one of the best out there to manage your server.
Thanks given by:
DrFeelgood
(10-05-2015, 06:19 AM)apinto Wrote:
(10-05-2015, 02:25 AM)DrFeelgood Wrote: Similar problem here, but I've never used zPanel before. I have to do many things by hand, e. g. the installer doesn't install Postfix on Debian or the one and another senseless error (e. g. I can't create subdomains or mailboxes because I would allegedly use a wrong format or something). There are not many bugs but they occure on essential places (at least on my system). The support is very - please don't take it personally - rare.

Actually, FREE support on Sentora Forums is very good, shall you need premium support it gets even better and faster.
That aside, most of the issues with support are regarding bad questions; Good questions are usually answered fast and with quality.

Well, I don't think that I asked such a "bad question". If there are things not clear you should communicate a bit more and don't think that there is an idiot behind the nickname who is too stupid for receiving help after the first discrepancy (I have 9 years of experience in linux system administration & programming, an university degree and excellent references). Meanwhile it works (more or less), but I had to make a lot of changes in the installer script. Regarding the errors I noticed in the source code you can't say that it's ready for production. I had to make many changes to make it work.

Further you have to understand that I won't pay money for premium support if nobody cares about even the first question I have. Also I won't pay anything for a script which isn't working on my system, of course. I think that is just comprehensible. You also don't want to pay for a car insurance for a car which isn't working, do you? I'm really disappointed. I really want to pay. I really want to assist you in programming which that project really needs if I look over your source code and all the gaps in it, but it seems like you aren't interested. Very sad. You have no idea what you let slip. But well, like you already said - some people you can not help.

Sorry, but I had big problems to leave that statement uncommented.

(10-05-2015, 06:19 AM)apinto Wrote: Sentora is one of the best out there to manage your server.
At least a solution with very very much potential.

Greetings
DrFeelgood
Thanks given by:
WARNING: This is a post made while angry. You have been warned Smile

(10-07-2015, 07:36 AM)DrFeelgood Wrote: DrFeelgood

Long answer, depends on your needs and your know how about server management; nobody without any server management knowledge should try to run a big production ready server (regardless the software it uses). However if you have solid knowledge, using Sentora is a good choice, considering its free Sentora is one of the best out there to manage your server.

Well, I don't think that I asked such a "bad question". If there are things not clear you should communicate a bit more and don't think that there is an idiot behind the nickname who is too stupid for receiving help after the first discrepancy. Meanwhile it works, but I had to make a lot of changes in the installer script. Regarding the errors I noticed in the source code you can't say that it's ready for production. I had to make many changes to make it work.

Further you have to understand that I won't pay money for premium support if nobody cares about even the first question I have. Of course I won't pay anything for a script which isn't working on my system. I think that is just comprehensible. You also don't want to pay for a car insurance for a car which isn't working, do you? I'm really disappointed. I really want to pay. I really want to assist you in programming which that project really needs if I look over your source code and all the gaps in it, but it seems like you aren't interested. Very sad. You have no idea what you let slip. But well, like you already said - some people you can not help.

Greetings
DrFeelgood

I have NOT said you asked a bad question, actually I've not even spoken about you, I spoke in general.

When I refer to bad questions I'm talking about questions that do not respect ANY of these points (http://forums.sentora.org/showthread.php?tid=1551), sometimes the person who is asking does not even show that they did a minimal research before asking the question, if they do not take the time to correctly ask a question (providing all the needed information and what steps they already did) I will not take the time to help them (actually most of the time I still help, but that's different).

Also, I'm NOT part of Sentora Support Team, neither part of the developer team like most people on this forum we help because we want to, at the very least we expect a little investment from the person asking questions, thats both a sign of respect for the user who will help you and a way to attract the best users to help you.

On my first post I was not speaking about you, but now I will speak directly to you...
Clearly you are new to the Open-Source community and you lack the knowledge of how the internet works or you choose to deliberately ignore, either way if you expect something to be premium supported pick a commercial Panel and pay for the support and you will have a production ready (not bug free...) software with insurance and warranty, Open Source software gives you NO WARRANTY (not even that it will work), all the community can do is to TRY to help you (if we want to... most of the time we DO WANT...).

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-ask-...s-opinion/

Anyways, hope you learn something... You need to.

Also, I understand why you felt so offended with my post, you knew that you were on that group of users I spoke about.
My Sentora Resources
[Module] Mail Quota Count | Vagrant Box with Sentora

[Image: vanguardly-logo-micro.png]
Graphic and Web Design. Development.
www.vanguardly.com

Thanks given by:
Well, you should understand that it wasn't obvious that you aren't speaking directly to me. I just wanted to clarify a few things. And Open Source is what I want. Well, as I said. I already have a working control panel which I developed on my own, but soon it seems like I won't be able to spend the necessary time for it anymore. Now I'm searching for an alternative solution which I can expand correspondent with my wishes and that's the ONLY reason why a commercial product won't be an option because they are all simply too bad without any innovative spirit. Just to clarify.

I'm really sorry if you feel offended. That was not my intention.

(10-07-2015, 08:08 AM)apinto Wrote: Also, I'm NOT part of Sentora Support Team, neither part of the developer team
Again, I'm sorry. I assumed that which was the initial factor which made me so very disappointed about everything. That wasn't clear to me. Just my fault. I hope we can draw the curtain over it and forget about that.
Thanks given by:
(10-07-2015, 08:20 AM)DrFeelgood Wrote: Well, you should understand that it wasn't obvious that you aren't speaking directly to me. I just wanted to clarify a few things. And Open Source is what I want. Well, as I said. I already have a working control panel which I developed on my own, but soon it seems like I won't be able to spend the necessary time for it anymore. Now I'm searching for an alternative solution which I can expand correspondent with my wishes and that's the ONLY reason why a commercial product won't be an option because they are all simply too bad without any innovative spirit. Just to clarify.

I'm really sorry if you feel offended. That was not my intention.

(10-07-2015, 08:08 AM)apinto Wrote: Also, I'm NOT part of Sentora Support Team, neither part of the developer team
Again, I'm sorry. I assumed that which was the initial factor which made me so very disappointed about everything. That wasn't clear to me. Just my fault. I hope we can draw the curtain over it and forget about that.

It's all ok Smile no worries.

Most open source projects are comunnity driven support, you will find that the community is very good, better than many commercial products support.
Most of the users here are not part of the team, we are just users that want to help and learn together, so that is why the support is not professional and its a lot opinion based.

Regarding your needs, I believe Sentora might be a good fit for you, if you finds bugs and issues, report them and help the project grow.
Production ready is not the same as bug free.

Search a bit on the Forums, you will conclude support isn't all that bad, in fact it can be very good Smile
My Sentora Resources
[Module] Mail Quota Count | Vagrant Box with Sentora

[Image: vanguardly-logo-micro.png]
Graphic and Web Design. Development.
www.vanguardly.com

Thanks given by:
(10-07-2015, 08:08 AM)apinto Wrote: WARNING: This is a post made while angry. You have been warned Smile

(10-07-2015, 07:36 AM)DrFeelgood Wrote: DrFeelgood

Well, I don't think that I asked such a "bad question". If there are things not clear you should communicate a bit more and don't think that there is an idiot behind the nickname who is too stupid for receiving help after the first discrepancy. Meanwhile it works, but I had to make a lot of changes in the installer script. Regarding the errors I noticed in the source code you can't say that it's ready for production. I had to make many changes to make it work.

Further you have to understand that I won't pay money for premium support if nobody cares about even the first question I have. Of course I won't pay anything for a script which isn't working on my system. I think that is just comprehensible. You also don't want to pay for a car insurance for a car which isn't working, do you? I'm really disappointed. I really want to pay. I really want to assist you in programming which that project really needs if I look over your source code and all the gaps in it, but it seems like you aren't interested. Very sad. You have no idea what you let slip. But well, like you already said - some people you can not help.

Greetings
DrFeelgood

I have NOT said you asked a bad question, actually I've not even spoken about you, I spoke in general.

When I refer to bad questions I'm talking about questions that do not respect ANY of these points (http://forums.sentora.org/showthread.php?tid=1551), sometimes the person who is asking does not even show that they did a minimal research before asking the question, if they do not take the time to correctly ask a question (providing all the needed information and what steps they already did) I will not take the time to help them (actually most of the time I still help, but that's different).

Also, I'm NOT part of Sentora Support Team, neither part of the developer team like most people on this forum we help because we want to, at the very least we expect a little investment from the person asking questions, thats both a sign of respect for the user who will help you and a way to attract the best users to help you.

On my first post I was not speaking about you, but now I will speak directly to you...
Clearly you are new to the Open-Source community and you lack the knowledge of how the internet works or you choose to deliberately ignore, either way if you expect something to be premium supported pick a commercial Panel and pay for the support and you will have a production ready (not bug free...) software with insurance and warranty, Open Source software gives you NO WARRANTY (not even that it will work), all the community can do is to TRY to help you (if we want to... most of the time we DO WANT...).

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-ask-...s-opinion/

Anyways, hope you learn something... You need to.

Also, I understand why you felt so offended with my post, you knew that you were on that group of users I spoke about.

apinto very good answer!   Exclamation Wink
Thanks given by: apinto

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Is Sentora dead? rajeevrrs 2 3 ,007 12-17-2022, 09:20 AM
Last Post: TGates
Sentora debug and error files johnnyp 0 1 ,163 10-27-2022, 06:16 PM
Last Post: johnnyp
Transfer Account to another Sentora BenI 1 2 ,580 07-21-2022, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Nigel