This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Is it safe to just replace Proftpd?
Is it safe to just replace Proftpd?
Before I go ahead and do it I wanted to ask if it's safe to replace ProFTP by just compiling it from source?

The reason I ask is that I wanted to include the "mod_tls" option so I can let users login more securely and I noticed it wasn't an included module already with my setup. If I compile and replace the current version will it still work as it does now with Sentora through the control panel? Ie. Will the clients still be able to add users and all the Sentora FTP features or is there some kind of config I would have to setup in proftpd so they play nicely together as if it wasn the original and not replaced?

I don't know much about this sort of thing so I thought I'd better ask before I break everything and risk Sentora or FTP not working and causing an absolute mess for me and the clients as I am running a live production server Confused 

Thanks in advance!
My geeky side: thefuzz.xyz | Photo & Video: fuzzymannerz.co.uk
Thanks given by:
RE: Is it safe to just replace Proftpd?
It may be ok. but caution here you need to compile it with the same features we use + TLS.

M B
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by:
(09-22-2015, 06:09 AM)Me.B Wrote: It may be ok. but caution here you need to compile it with the same features we use + TLS.

M B

Hmm I think I will run a VPS on my home pc and test it on that first and report back, thanks!
Thanks given by:
You would also have to remember to have it use the sentora_proftpd database and user too Wink
-TGates - Project Council

SEARCH the Forums or read the DOCUMENTATION before posting!
Support Sentora and Donate: HERE

Find my support or modules useful? Donate to TGates HERE
Developers and code testers needed!
Contact TGates for more information
Thanks given by:
OK so I fixed my original issue, turns out I didn't need to replace Proftpd after all, although on the VPS when I tested it, it didn't seem to cause an issue but don't take my word for it! Tongue

My issue was that I couldn't get "mod_tls" to work and when I listed the installed proftpd modules it wasn't listed even though it was actually installed in the first place. :/

I had to put:
Code:
LoadModule mod_tls.c
Inside "proftpd.conf" to get it to actually load it and respond how it should to the settings. (which seems a bit obvious but I overlooked it)

So yeah, thanks guys but all good now! Smile
Thanks given by:
great to see that
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Is it always safe to run apt-get update and apt-get upgrade on my Sentora server americanninja 2 6 ,519 04-03-2018, 12:49 AM
Last Post: americanninja
ProFTPd & DNS Zone Updating Andy11548 2 5 ,677 03-03-2018, 09:23 PM
Last Post: Andy11548
proftpd problems timce2000 2 6 ,516 03-01-2018, 09:14 AM
Last Post: timce2000