This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

How to setup ftp to access only certain folders?
How to setup ftp to access only certain folders?
Sorry if this is basic but documentation suggests this is possible but can't find how to do it.

Client wants to give a particular user ftp write access to a specific folder

eg

domain ABC has main ftp which gives access to whole webspace where there are several directories

wants to give user A access only to folder 123

Presume we use Create a new FTP Account but what option do we use under Home directory?

Two of the options (Set Master home directory & Use Domain directory) only allow creation from a pop-up list & the directory isn't there

Whilst Create a new home directory - takes name from username - but how is that linked to the domain?

Thanks for any help
Thanks given by:
RE: How to setup ftp to access only certain folders?
Hello.
You can select the option "create new home directory", that will create a new folder with the username of that user. Also, the user will only have access to that folder.
My Sentora Resources
[Module] Mail Quota Count | Vagrant Box with Sentora

[Image: vanguardly-logo-micro.png]
Graphic and Web Design. Development.
www.vanguardly.com

Thanks given by:
(08-20-2015, 04:06 PM)apinto Wrote: Hello.
You can select the option "create new home directory", that will create a new folder with the username of that user. Also, the user will only have access to that folder.

Thanks apinto

I host a number of domains & at the moment I'm managing everything for my clients at the top level. Is there a way to create a limited ftp account at the top level or have I got to create a client account for that domain & do it from there?

Thanks
Thanks given by:
Limited at the top level?
For example being able to access /public_html/ but NOT /public_html/sub_folder ?
If its that, I do no think there is a way to do it, also it does not make any sense to be honest.

If it is not the case, can you explain it better please?
My Sentora Resources
[Module] Mail Quota Count | Vagrant Box with Sentora

[Image: vanguardly-logo-micro.png]
Graphic and Web Design. Development.
www.vanguardly.com

Thanks given by:
Hello,
I came across this thread because I was trying to achieve a similar thing.
I wanted to create an FTP user who only has access to a single directory within a domain webspace (eg /var/sentora/hostdata/[Sentora-login]/public_html/[domain_tld]/[myDir] )
Creating a new home directory using the UI does not create a folder in the webspace and it is named automatically which isn't what I wanted.
Instead I created an FTP account for the domain directory and then updated two fields in the Sentora Database:
DB "sentora_core", Table "x_ftpaccounts", Column "ft_directory_vc" (for the selected user)
and
DB "sentora_proftpd", Table "ftpuser", Column "homedir" (for the selected user)

Seems to be working so far
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
How to setup and connect via FTP? cagross 5 16 ,996 06-28-2017, 12:40 AM
Last Post: TGates
ROOT FTP ACCESS Ubuntu 14.03 Server OpenApp 3 15 ,205 06-12-2016, 06:37 AM
Last Post: Ludaking
how to access root ftp? wormsunited 16 49 ,381 04-01-2015, 03:05 AM
Last Post: wormsunited