This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Desktop Server Installation
Desktop Server Installation
I use Webmin to manage a web server installed in Kubuntu 15.04. I primarily use the OS as a desktop PC. The web server component is so I can install websites, play with them, develop WordPress plugins and test scripts with the most up-to-date / beta versions of Apache and PHP.

Can I install Sentora into my desktop PC without losing Webmin or my desktop environment?
Thanks given by:
RE: Desktop Server Installation
(08-19-2015, 06:15 AM)VR51 Wrote: I use Webmin to manage a web server installed in Kubuntu 15.04. I primarily use the OS as a desktop PC. The web server component is so I can install websites, play with them, develop WordPress plugins and test scripts with the most up-to-date / beta versions of Apache and PHP.

Can I install Sentora into my desktop PC without losing Webmin or my desktop environment?

No
Thanks given by:
Can you be more precise and tell me what the complications will be.
Thanks given by:
(08-19-2015, 07:39 AM)VR51 Wrote: Can you be more precise and tell me what the complications will be.

Pre-installation check:
The installer is designed o be as simple as possible. It will check that all mandatory requirements are meet :
The OS must be installed with minimal options. No other server management panel must be already installed, nor any web service. (Examples: Nginx, MySQL, Apache, PHP, FTP Server, Mail Server, etc.)
They MUST BE REMOVED or use the 'minimal install' before installing Sentora!

http://docs.sentora.org/?node=7
Thanks given by:
VR51,

The complications will be both panels will be expecting very precise configurations and config files in certain locations. On top of this they will rewrite configs essentially overwriting each other.

I would advise to install Sentora in a VM using virtual box or a similar software if you wanted to test it out.
Thanks given by: VR51
Thanks for your replies. I didn't get a reply notification so didn't see them.

Will use a VM to test Sentora. Always good to play with different software.

Thanks again.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Server Crash rsthomas 3 6 ,721 05-18-2022, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Nigel
Server Vs. Workstation zHostingSolutions 4 7 ,876 09-14-2021, 06:30 AM
Last Post: sparkrack
Having both HTTP & HTTPS (Port 443 and Port 80) sites on a server dsmarter 14 42 ,474 08-22-2020, 02:49 PM
Last Post: kenzopoker1