This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

How to set phpmyadmin password for Sentora User?
How to set phpmyadmin password for Sentora User?
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to Sentora and I'm trying to figure out how to set my main Sentora user with a password to access phpmyadmin. For example, currently I am able to login to phpmyadmin with the root user and the root mysql password generated by Sentora upon install.

However, I have a user in Sentora called zadmin which I have created all my databases for. I can't seem to login to phpmyadmin with the username zadmin and the password I use to login to the Sentora CP. Are these passwords not the same? What is the password I can use for the zadmin user to login to phpmyadmin...or how do I set it somewhere?

Thanks!
Thanks given by:
RE: How to set phpmyadmin password for Sentora User?
You need to add a user on DataBase -> MySQL Users and select the databases you want that user to access.
This user is NOT the same as the sentora zadmin/username.
My Sentora Resources
[Module] Mail Quota Count | Vagrant Box with Sentora

[Image: vanguardly-logo-micro.png]
Graphic and Web Design. Development.
www.vanguardly.com

Thanks given by:
Thanks! That worked. I didn't know I was supposed to use that mysql username. Actually all the databases show up under the main Sentora User (zadmin) when I view them in phpmyadmin, so why can't I login with the overall user?

For example, I have let's say 10 db's with 3 different users that are applied to the DBs. I don't want to have to login and out with the three mysql users to access all the databases. I rather just login with one account (i.e. zadmin) and have visibility into all the databases. I can do that currently with the root mysql username/password. But why can't I do that with the zadmin or my Sentora user?
Thanks given by:
You can login with the zadmin user to access all databases.

However, due to security, it is NOT a good idea.
Let's say one of your websites gets hacked, one of your developers decide to loose your information...
Yup, every other database gets compromised along with ALL your sentora and webserver information.
And it is not only security issues, it's also against human failure (yup, we humans fail a lot... really a lot...), for example you make a mistake when updating some tables and end up changing/deleting the wrong database...

As you can see, having multiple users for multiple cases and databases is a good idea, it is not worth risking this much only to just use a single username/password.

However, if you want, you can Smile
My Sentora Resources
[Module] Mail Quota Count | Vagrant Box with Sentora

[Image: vanguardly-logo-micro.png]
Graphic and Web Design. Development.
www.vanguardly.com

Thanks given by:
(04-20-2015, 04:58 AM)apinto Wrote: You can login with the zadmin user to access all databases.

However, due to security, it is NOT a good idea.
Let's say one of your websites gets hacked, one of your developers decide to loose your information...
Yup, every other database gets compromised along with ALL your sentora and webserver information.
And it is not only security issues, it's also against human failure (yup, we humans fail a lot... really a lot...), for example you make a mistake when updating some tables and end up changing/deleting the wrong database...

As you can see, having multiple users for multiple cases and databases is a good idea, it is not worth risking this much only to just use a single username/password.

However, if you want, you can Smile

It seems that I can't login to PhpMyAdmin or mysql via command line using my zadmin user.
I agree with you about the fact that it is better to use different user, but sometime I would like to use zadmin account to backup all database in one step (preferably via command line).
I'm missing something?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Is Sentora dead? rajeevrrs 2 3 ,068 12-17-2022, 09:20 AM
Last Post: TGates
Sentora debug and error files johnnyp 0 1 ,187 10-27-2022, 06:16 PM
Last Post: johnnyp
Transfer Account to another Sentora BenI 1 2 ,628 07-21-2022, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Nigel