This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

SMTP Setup?
SMTP Setup?
I have everything installed on CentOS 6.5 and its all works fine. I've opened up all the ports I need for the servers. I can send and receive mail using webmail without any issues. I have made an A record for smtp, mail, and pop3. I'm not really sure where to go from here.
Thanks given by:
RE: SMTP Setup?
Check your server settings with dnsinspect.com and mxtools.com
Check if there are problems, if not you are ready to go Smile

But i didn't understand " open ports" did you installed some firewall ?
Thanks given by:
(03-24-2015, 01:30 AM)Kavex Wrote: I have everything installed on CentOS 6.5 and its all works fine. I've opened up all the ports I need for the servers. I can send and receive mail using webmail without any issues. I have made an A record for smtp, mail, and pop3. I'm not really sure where to go from here.

You should create

mail.domain.com A record toward server IP
domain.com MX mail.domain.com
if you would like to have shortcuts you can create:
pop.domain.com cname mail.domaine.com

It's easy to configure outlook.

M B
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by:
(03-24-2015, 05:35 AM)Me.B Wrote:
(03-24-2015, 01:30 AM)Kavex Wrote: I have everything installed on CentOS 6.5 and its all works fine. I've opened up all the ports I need for the servers. I can send and receive mail using webmail without any issues. I have made an A record for smtp, mail, and pop3. I'm not really sure where to go from here.

You should create

mail.domain.com A record toward server IP
domain.com MX mail.domain.com
if you would like to have shortcuts you can create:
pop.domain.com cname mail.domaine.com

It's easy to configure outlook.

M B

I do have iptables but I have opened all the ports related to mail servers

I have an A record for mail.domain.com, and I just changed pop.domain.com CNAME mail.domain.com

I'm not sure if the MX records are correct. Is it just mail or mail.domain.com

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
DNS require port 53 udp open. And 53 tcp if you have zone transfert (don't this the case here).

M B
How to ask

Thanks given by:
Ok both port 53 for udp and tcp works when I did a port test
Here is an screen cap of my dns testing
Whats next?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
I'm lost what's the issue now?
How to ask

Thanks given by:
I'm just trying to get to a client to connect over SMTP on one of the email addresses made over the panel.
I've updated some images on the post above.

I'm not really sure how to set that up. 

Also I can send and receive emails with the domain emails (domain email to domain email) but get nothing when it's sent to like gmail.
Thanks given by:
(03-25-2015, 07:05 AM)Kavex Wrote: I'm just trying to get to a client to connect over SMTP on one of the email addresses made over the panel.
I've updated some images on the post above.

And the issue is? Give him IP adress for first test, ditch the DNS here and resolve the problem step by step. If he fail while using IP. It means it's not the DNS involded.

He need to connect to port 25 and set ESMTP. If IP work while not domain check again DNS resolution.

I Can't guess issues from screenshots, it might mean a lot for you but not for me. So always give more infos so we can help.

M B
How to ask

Thanks given by:
The images were more or less to show how my dns and mx records where but I fixed one issue I was having.

OK So I can send and receive mail using the webmail but I'm looking to enable SMTP so I can connect via a client. I've tried reaching it with thunderbird but it won't find it. I'm not sure if there is a setting I need to switch. That is what i'm asking.

Is there something extra to turn on or set the enable SMTP?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
SSL setup error blackstormy1804 1 4 ,255 06-17-2018, 11:24 AM
Last Post: TGates
PHP Scripts are using SendMail instead of SMTP... - Server Wide Issue sparkrack 4 9 ,659 02-14-2018, 03:48 PM
Cloning ubuntu 14 setup CMs222 11 22 ,027 02-02-2018, 08:27 AM