This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

SFTP Authentication Failed, Need to retrieve password
SFTP Authentication Failed, Need to retrieve password
Hi there,

I am using Filezilla to access SFTP, for some way, i cannot access with the root password, i did checked the /root/passwords.txt file and it matches the one i input to login using root as a username.

When i try to connect, i get Authentication Failed. Unfortunately...  Sad

Code:
Response:    fzSftp started, protocol_version=8
Command:    open "root@xx.xxx.xx.xxx" 22
Command:    Pass: ****************
Error:    Authentication failed.
Error:    Critical error: Could not connect to server

That is exactly what i get now. I did checked the file, but still cant connect to SFTP, any idea? Thanks in advance for your time and attention.
'' Life is full of important choices ''
Help Sentora Donate now => http://sentora.org/donate Blush
Thanks given by:
RE: SFTP Authentication Failed, Need to retrieve password
(01-21-2019, 08:18 PM)wormsunited Wrote: Hi there,

I am using Filezilla to access SFTP, for some way, i cannot access with the root password, i did checked the /root/passwords.txt file and it matches the one i input to login using root as a username.

When i try to connect, i get Authentication Failed. Unfortunately...  Sad

Code:
Response:    fzSftp started, protocol_version=8
Command:    open "root@xx.xxx.xx.xxx" 22
Command:    Pass: ****************
Error:    Authentication failed.
Error:    Critical error: Could not connect to server

That is exactly what i get now. I did checked the file, but still cant connect to SFTP, any idea? Thanks in advance for your time and attention.

I don't know much about SFTP so might not be much help here.

I have just connected to my server using FileZilla and the SFTP protocol, using the root user - no problems that I can see. Are you sure you're using the correct password? Or maybe you need to update FileZilla?

Code:
Response: fzSftp started, protocol_version=8
Command: open "root@host-a-03.xoxoxoxoxo.co.uk" 22
Command: Pass: **********
Command: pwd
Response: Current directory is: "/root"

For reference, my FileZilla version is 3.35.1 and I am connecting via a LAN only. Maybe the interwebs or a firewall is blocking something?

Keith
Thanks given by: wormsunited
Hey Keith, first of all thank you for your help, i did try to check that, i am running the latest Filezilla version too, also i disabled the core shields of my firewall for a while to try to connect, still got nothing.
Thanks given by:
(01-22-2019, 04:55 AM)wormsunited Wrote: Hey Keith, first of all thank you for your help, i did try to check that, i am running the latest Filezilla version too, also i disabled the core shields of my firewall for a while to try to connect, still got nothing.

If you are trying to log into your server using the root user, the passwords in the password.txt file will not help. You need to enter your server's root password. The root password in the password.txt is strictly for MySQL root user.

As a security note, I would suggest using WinSCP (instead of FIleZilla) and create a root user 'key pair' and disable password login to help protect your server. There are different ways of doing this depending on your OS and OS version. Google will be much more helpful than me on that subject LOL. I have done it on my Ubuntu 14.04 server, but that was a couple years ago.
-TGates - Project Council

SEARCH the Forums or read the DOCUMENTATION before posting!
Support Sentora and Donate: HERE

Find my support or modules useful? Donate to TGates HERE
Developers and code testers needed!
Contact TGates for more information
Thanks given by: wormsunited
Thank you for your reply and help, i did installed the WinSCP still i found the same issue and i am not able to login into the server, i have also read some documentation over proftpd website and found out that in the proftpd.conf file, we have an option to able or disable the root logins, should this be the problem that i am facing? Should i change this value?

For those who care and might help others, just change the root main password and you are done with it, also, install WinSCP, configure your time-out settings and you are done with this issue, i hope i could contribute also to others to find a solution, special thanks to TGates and Keith aka fearworks
Thanks given by:
(01-22-2019, 09:06 AM)wormsunited Wrote: Thank you for your reply and help, i did installed the WinSCP still i found the same issue and i am not able to login into the server, i have also read some documentation over proftpd website and found out that in the proftpd.conf file, we have an option to able or disable the root logins, should this be the problem that i am facing? Should i change this value?

For those who care and might help others, just change the root main password and you are done with it, also, install WinSCP, configure your time-out settings and you are done with this issue, i hope i could contribute also to others to find a solution, special thanks to TGates and Keith aka fearworks

Yes I was using my root user password, not the MYSQL root password. I am able to log in using FileZilla SFTP without doing anything else. I am doing this on my private LAN and SSH is blocked to the outside world so I am not concerned with security for this basic setup I was testing. I guess the rest of the suggestion were pertinent to the security aspect?

Keith
Thanks given by:
I do agree with you Keith, my issue is that it is very hard to access. Even tho i did connected before, right now i cannot connect again, so something is really wrong on the configuration or my server, my problem is that i cannot identify were the issue resides.

Meanwhile and to be able to access, upload files and so on, i have to use command lines over my server, it works, but that's double the trouble.
Thanks given by:
(01-23-2019, 06:50 AM)wormsunited Wrote: I do agree with you Keith, my issue is that it is very hard to access. Even tho i did connected before, right now i cannot connect again, so something is really wrong on the configuration or my server, my problem is that i cannot identify were the issue resides.

Meanwhile and to be able to access, upload files and so on, i have to use command lines over my server, it works, but that's double the trouble.

Hmmm that does sound odd. Perhaps it is something really obvious that we're missing?

I understand @TGates' suggestions regarding securing this procedure but again, it should work just with FileZilla, your root username and the server's root password you use for SSH.

I just tried again and no problem for me. Sorry, I know that doesn't help!

Are you definitely trying to access the same server as before, with the correct details, in the same way (e.g. not from another location or through a different network)?

Keith.
Thanks given by:
Hey Keith thanks for your reply, yes i am same server same details (didn't change them tho). I tried to access with TGates suggestion, it worked, now i cannot access them again, using the server IP and root username and password, not anymore, i checked my firewall, everything, none of those details are making me not to access the server, so i wonder what in the hell is going on lmao.
Thanks given by:
(01-24-2019, 10:14 AM)wormsunited Wrote: Hey Keith thanks for your reply, yes i am same server same details (didn't change them tho). I tried to access with TGates suggestion, it worked, now i cannot access them again, using the server IP and root username and password, not anymore, i checked my firewall, everything, none of those details are making me not to access the server, so i wonder what in the hell is going on lmao.

It will probably be something really obvious - I always find that it turns out to be!

Can you ping port 22 to check it's alive and kicking?

Keith
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server servermaster 3 12 ,932 12-12-2018, 08:03 PM
Last Post: fearworks
FTP Authentication Problem sathish2009 1 7 ,024 07-04-2017, 04:36 PM
Last Post: sathish2009
Authentication problem veagnox 1 7 ,422 02-06-2017, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Ron-e