This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

sub-domain issue
sub-domain issue
Hi all,
I'm having a problem trying to create a sub-domain on my server. Now, my server is Debian Stretch, but Sentora has been working perfectly up until this issue.

So when I try to create a sub-domain, I get an error saying the domain is not valid. I've had a look at this file https://github.com/sentora/sentora-core/...er.ext.php and I've updated it based on the above link. But I'm still getting the same issue. I think I have tracked the issue to the $badname variable in the file. I think, for some reason, all of my domains are showing as a $badname = TRUE.

I supposed I could test changing the code slightly and then changing it back but is there another, more formal way of declaring what is/isn't a $badname?
Thanks given by:
RE: sub-domain issue
(12-06-2018, 08:03 PM)kevwebbie Wrote: Hi all,
I'm having a problem trying to create a sub-domain on my server. Now, my server is Debian Stretch, but Sentora has been working perfectly up until this issue.

So when I try to create a sub-domain, I get an error saying the domain is not valid. I've had a look at this file https://github.com/sentora/sentora-core/...er.ext.php and I've updated it based on the above link. But I'm still getting the same issue. I think I have tracked the issue to the $badname variable in the file. I think, for some reason, all of my domains are showing as a $badname = TRUE.

I supposed I could test changing the code slightly and then changing it back but is there another, more formal way of declaring what is/isn't a $badname?

You've updated it based on what above link? I don't see a link. 

What subdomain are you trying to use? 

Keith.
Thanks given by:
(12-06-2018, 09:00 PM)fearworks Wrote: You've updated it based on what above link? I don't see a link. 

What subdomain are you trying to use? 

Keith.

The github link. I've updated the file using the code they've provided. The sub-domain is test.mysite.ie Could it be the TLD perhaps?
Thanks given by:
(12-07-2018, 11:44 PM)kevwebbie Wrote: The github link. I've updated the file using the code they've provided. The sub-domain is test.mysite.ie Could it be the TLD perhaps?

Ok I see what you were trying to say.

I think you need to say what settings you are trying when you create the domain and sub-domain, i.e. are you creating new directories or using existing directories? Maybe post some screenshots to show us what you are typing into the fields and the error message you are getting etc.?

I'm assuming that you tweaked something to get Sentora installed as the installation scripts don't currently support Debian 9? Also, which version of Sentora are you running as your profile says 1.0.1 but this is an old release?

Have you added any other sub-domains before, and were they added successfully?

Keith.
Thanks given by:
(12-08-2018, 02:37 AM)fearworks Wrote: Ok I see what you were trying to say.

I think you need to say what settings you are trying when you create the domain and sub-domain, i.e. are you creating new directories or using existing directories? Maybe post some screenshots to show us what you are typing into the fields and the error message you are getting etc.?

I'm assuming that you tweaked something to get Sentora installed as the installation scripts don't currently support Debian 9? Also, which version of Sentora are you running as your profile says 1.0.1 but this is an old release?

Have you added any other sub-domains before, and were they added successfully?

Keith.

Hi Fearworks,
Thanks for the reply. So I go to Domain > Sub Domains. Then go to the area that says "Create a new sub-domain". I add text into the "Sub-domain:" box and then get the error that is in the attached image. This issue happens for all domains including .com domains. So it is not a TLD issue.

Also, I am actually using Version 1.0.3. I got mixed up.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
(12-09-2018, 06:34 AM)kevwebbie Wrote: Hi Fearworks,
Thanks for the reply. So I go to Domain > Sub Domains. Then go to the area that says "Create a new sub-domain". I add text into the "Sub-domain:" box and then get the error that is in the attached image. This issue happens for all domains including .com domains. So it is not a TLD issue.

Also, I am actually using Version 1.0.3. I got mixed up.

You didn't answer all the questions I asked:
  • Are you creating new directories or using existing directories?
  • I'm assuming that you tweaked something to get Sentora installed as the installation scripts don't currently support Debian 9?
  • Have you added any other sub-domains before, and were they added successfully?
If you want help, you need to give this info as I stand no chance of recreating your issue unless I know exactly what you did, are doing and are trying to do.

Keith
Thanks given by:
Also, just to make sure, you added fakecake.ie as a regular domain already?
-TGates - Project Council

SEARCH the Forums or read the DOCUMENTATION before posting!
Support Sentora and Donate: HERE

Find my support or modules useful? Donate to TGates HERE
Developers and code testers needed!
Contact TGates for more information
Thanks given by:
(12-09-2018, 07:21 AM)fearworks Wrote: You didn't answer all the questions I asked:
  • Are you creating new directories or using existing directories?
  • I'm assuming that you tweaked something to get Sentora installed as the installation scripts don't currently support Debian 9?
  • Have you added any other sub-domains before, and were they added successfully?
If you want help, you need to give this info as I stand no chance of recreating your issue unless I know exactly what you did, are doing and are trying to do.

Keith

Hi Keith,TGates,
Thanks for the replies.
1. So I have the domain already. I have pointed the name servers to my host. I have created DNS records to point to the server. I have set the domain up on Sentora also and created an FTP account for it. So the next step is to create a sub-domain which is what I am trying to do. I have created a cName record for this.
2. I found a script on-line which simply bypasses the OS check and runs the script regardless. I have also installed Sentora on a previous Debian Jessie VPS and it worked great. I was very happy with it. It is still running. I hope I haven't broken any rules as Debian is my OS of choice. 
3. I have added sub-domains on the older VPS and this worked fine. But it just won't work on the new Debian VPS  which is strange.
Thanks given by:
(12-10-2018, 09:16 PM)kevwebbie Wrote: Hi Keith,TGates,
Thanks for the replies.
1. So I have the domain already. I have pointed the name servers to my host. I have created DNS   records to point to the server. I have set the domain up on Sentora also and created an FTP account for it. So the next step is to create a sub-domain which is what I am trying to do. I have created a cName record for this.
2. I found a script on-line which simply bypasses the OS check and runs the script regardless. I have also installed Sentora on a previous Debian Jessie VPS and it worked great. I was very happy with it. It is still running. I hope I haven't broken any rules as Debian is my OS of choice. 
3.  I have added sub-domains on the older VPS and this worked fine. But it just won't work on the new Debian VPS  which is strange.

1. That's not what I asked you. On the sub-domain creation page, there is an option:

Home directory:  Create a new home directory
                         Use existing home directory

Which are you choosing? It might have nothing to do with your issue, but again if you want help I need to be able to do exactly what you do to try and recreate this.

2. Likewise, I need to know what script you used otherwise I have no idea whether the installer you used bypassed something important, missed something out, or whatever. I couldn't tell you if it breaks the "rules", and as Sentora is open source I would guess you can do whatever you want with it, within reason, but you probably cannot expect support from the Sentora Team if you haven't installed it in the official way. However, in the interests of possibly learning something that might help to keep Sentora up-to-date, I would like to try and help you. It could be something simple. It might not even be related to the installation script you used, but how do I know if I don't have a way to test it for myself?

3. So the sub-domain feature has never worked on this server, which makes me suspect the OS version you are using. Give me the info above and I will happily try to recreate your setup and see if it works.

Also, as an additional question, have you tweaked/changed/modified ANYTHING else from the standard Sentora installation?

Keith
Thanks given by:
Hi Keith,
Yes, I tried to create a new home directory. Also, I believe this is the installation script I used for it:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sentor...install.sh

I may have changed a line or two around the "this operating system is not supported" area in order to get it installed on Debian Jessie but I can't remember. I usually document all of my installs, especially when I'm doing something new, but I think I was in a hurry on this one for whatever reason.

Also, the server is using php5.6 as the Apps on the server are built in that version. I haven't moved up to php7 just yet.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Public_html Inside Domain/Subdomain zHostingSolutions 2 4 ,023 07-23-2021, 09:57 AM
Last Post: Nigel
Old issue on Daily Backup iraqiboy90 24 111 ,720 12-26-2020, 12:48 PM
Last Post: conglynina
Cannot Create 2nd 'Addon' Domain In Sentora? Error: Invalid backend configuration. Re BattlinThrough 2 5 ,294 07-07-2020, 01:22 PM
Last Post: TGates