This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Unable to install Sentora into Ubuntu 14.04
Unable to install Sentora into Ubuntu 14.04
Hi.

Over 1 million times and various ways I've tried to install your official release non-beta version of the sentora_install.sh into Ubuntu 14.04 with no success. In trying to install it, I would first install it into Ubuntu 12.04, which, works well, so far. But, then, at some point in the upgrade of Ubuntu 14.04; whenever, I try to go through my control panel while still in Ubuntu 12.04 just to see if it will stay stable when I get to Ubuntu 14.04, it breaks and when I log into Ubuntu 14.04 and go to the link, it opens into the main Ubuntu www index.php page instead of connecting to the Sentora login.

I've even attempt to upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04 before trying to install Sentora, but when I attempt to install it after upgrading to Ubuntu 14.04, it acts like it's gonna install, but then it says AppArmor is being removed and after a few minutes Ubuntu 14.04 freeze and I have to force-restart my computer and reinstall Ubuntu.

Also, how come with the Linux version of Sentora, there is no uninstall file in the zpanel directory within Var or Etc, whichever one is the main workings of Sentora, therefore, if for whatever reason we may have to uninstall Sentora, we can run the uninstall instead of having to reinstall the Linux server itself, which, makes no since to have to reinstall the whole operating system. For me, it takes about 3 or 4 hours to completely install any version of Ubuntu, from the actual installation, to the updates, to upgrading to a newer version.

I'm glad that when y'all did zPanel for Window, we had an uninstaller instead of having to reinstall Windows, first. Lol. Besides, I couldn't afford to buy Windows. I had to find a free download with product key to do it.

Speaking of uninstalling Sentora without having to uninstall Ubuntu, in Ubuntu 14.04, I even tried to replace the installation that I previously installed through Ubuntu 12.04, but couldn't because I needed to do a clean installation, which, doesn't work for me due to it freezing Ubuntu 14.04 when it tries to remove AppArmor, which, means, I have to reinstall Ubuntu 12.04.

Is there a command to remove Sentora in the terminal, at least? Thanks.
Thanks given by:
RE: Unable to install Sentora into Ubuntu 14.04
no there is no command line removal tool as of yet buddy Sad

how did you install it?
all you need to do as root user is type into terminal:
Code:
bash <(curl -L -Ss http://sentora.org/install)

(From our docs here: http://docs.sentora.org/index.php?node=22)
-TGates - Project Council

SEARCH the Forums or read the DOCUMENTATION before posting!
Support Sentora and Donate: HERE

Find my support or modules useful? Donate to TGates HERE
Developers and code testers needed!
Contact TGates for more information
Thanks given by:
1. Would explain the exact error you have?

2. You are require with a clean ubuntu no need to upgrade 12.04, this is useless & by clean we mean no desktop nothing only MINIMAL. It had been tested a lot before release.

3. What system are you using ? VPS? Provider? VM? Install ISO you use?

4. "Speaking of uninstalling Sentora without having to uninstall Ubuntu" HOW you would uninstall WHAT you are not able to install?  Huh  Huh  Huh. You report issues over install then you want uninstall?

If you want to install sentora stable. The procedure is quite simple:

1. Wipe OUT THE WHOLE MACHINE. ( you can make backup if you had important files before!)
2. Setup Ubuntu 14.04 minimal install, no desktop & no options!
3. Using command line install sentora.

If you try to do that on existing setup it will fail more than a million time as it's not designed for that and never been tested/validated that way.  Wink

M B
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by:
(02-06-2015, 05:37 PM)Me.B Wrote: 1. Would explain the exact error you have?

2. You are require with a clean ubuntu no need to upgrade 12.04, this is useless & by clean we mean no desktop nothing only MINIMAL. It had been tested a lot before release.

3. What system are you using ? VPS? Provider? VM? Install ISO you use?

4. "Speaking of uninstalling Sentora without having to uninstall Ubuntu" HOW you would uninstall WHAT you are not able to install?  Huh  Huh  Huh. You report issues over install then you want uninstall?

If you want to install sentora stable. The procedure is quite simple:

1. Wipe OUT THE WHOLE MACHINE. ( you can make backup if you had important files before!)
2. Setup Ubuntu 14.04 minimal install, no desktop & no options!
3. Using command line install sentora.

If you try to do that on existing setup it will fail more than a million time as it's not designed for that and never been tested/validated that way.  Wink

M B

It's installing perfectly on Ubuntu 12.04. However:
  • When I try to initially install it into Ubuntu 14.04, it causes Ubuntu 14.04 to freeze and not work anymore due to the point of it trying to remove AppArmor, then, I have to reinstall Ubuntu.
  • When I upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04 while Sentora is currently in Ubuntu 12.04, Sentora gets broken between the transition and is no longer able to connect to the login screen in my browser.
  • As far as uninstallation of Sentora, I'm talking about needing to uninstall the previous installation that I did in Ubuntu 12.04, since, it's no longer working in Ubuntu 14.04. That's why I mentioned about a Sentora uninstaller.
As far as running it in Ubuntu 14.04:
  • I like the new interface.
  • It actually locks the Root account when you do Ctrl+Alt+L or Start+L, unlike Ubuntu 12.04. This is the MAIN reason I want to run Sentora on Ubuntu 14.04, due to me liking my security and knowing that if I'm updating software in Ubuntu 14.04 root, I can confidently lock the system and know that no one else will be able to do anything and I don't have to stay near my system.
  • The last time I talked about installing zPanel, I mentioned the security of being able to actually lock Ubuntu 14.04 whenever I do updates, unlike Ubuntu 12.04.
  • In looking at the if statement in the code, I see that it says 12.04 or 14.04, so, I don't understand why it's not installing for me.
When I attempt a Sentora installation, I do it on a clean Ubuntu installation. I even go as far as deleting my partition before installing Ubuntu so everything will be clear.
Thanks given by:
(02-06-2015, 03:57 PM)TGates Wrote: no there is no command line removal tool as of yet buddy Sad

how did you install it?
all you need to do as root user is type into terminal:

Code:
bash <(curl -L -Ss http://sentora.org/install)

(From our docs here: http://docs.sentora.org/index.php?node=22)

Hi.

Hopefully, there will be a removal tool and/or command line, soon. That would be GREAT Big Grin . Better than having to uninstall a whole operating system.  Like I said, I'm glad Windows didn't have to be uninstalled with zPanel. Lol. Plus, the good thing about Windows is that anything can be deleted from the Windows Control Panel, so, there is no need to reinstall Windows, lol.

So, is it better to install it into Ubuntu 14.04 through the link and not actually saving the file to my desktop? Now, in Ubuntu 12.04, I've been able to install zPanel and now Sentora through saving the file on my desktop and running the command.

The thing I'm scared about using the bash code is, will it install the official working version, which is what I want, or will it install the beta, which, is what I DO NOT want? Or, will it give me a choice of which one I want to install? Thanks.

I'll try the bash link to attempt to install it into Ubuntu 14.04 if that should work better than saving the file to my desktop before attempting to install Sentora into Ubuntu 14.04.
Thanks given by:
1. Don't RUN sentora installer on UBUNTU DESKTOP !
2. Sentora NEVER supported upgrading os like from centos 6 to 7 or ubuntu 12 to 14.
3. Read the docs more and stick to what we recommend for the OS & how to do that.

DON'T EVER RUN INSTALLER FROM KDE OR DESKTOP & DON'T INSTALL DESKTOP, ONLY MINIMAL OS WITH NETOWORKING!
How to ask

Thanks given by:
WOW Big red letters! Big Grin LOL

Just run the bash script, that is how we designed the installer to be run, any other way is not supported. (Except for the wget version explained in the Docs: http://docs.sentora.org/?node=22)
-TGates - Project Council

SEARCH the Forums or read the DOCUMENTATION before posting!
Support Sentora and Donate: HERE

Find my support or modules useful? Donate to TGates HERE
Developers and code testers needed!
Contact TGates for more information
Thanks given by:
(02-07-2015, 04:16 AM)TGates Wrote: WOW Big red letters! Big Grin LOL

Just run the bash script, that is how we designed the installer to be run, any other way is not supported. (Except for the wget version explained in the Docs: http://docs.sentora.org/?node=22)

Ok. Thanks. I'll try it and let y'all know if it worked.

Oh, yeah, the other reason I like Ubuntu 14.04 besides just the security of being able to actually lock the Root account is that I can switch between operating systems without having to press Delete and enter the bios settings.
Thanks given by:
If you want to test os's use vmware or virtual toolbox BUT please don't install desktop & all the attached bling bling to complain that HOSTING server setup didn't work.

We did for days testing for this release and about hundred installs at least only from our side, so when you say installer having such issue not even working it's a bit surprising for US. BUT all tests were done only on minimal installs & never upgrading the os.

M B
How to ask

Thanks given by:
(02-07-2015, 04:34 AM)zHostingSolutions Wrote:
(02-07-2015, 04:16 AM)TGates Wrote: WOW Big red letters! Big Grin LOL

Ok. Thanks. I'll try it and let y'all know if it worked.

Oh, yeah, the other reason I like Ubuntu 14.04 besides just the security of being able to actually lock the Root account is that I can switch between operating systems without having to press Delete and enter the bios settings.

Ok.

So, earlier, I reinstalled Ubuntu 14.04 and did the directions in http://docs.sentora.org/?node=22. Since, I had a hard time with the curl bash, I used the directions with "sudo -i" and it seemed to work, because I was able to get to the end. However, before it asked me to restart my computer, it disabled and removed AppArmor and I though that everything was fine. But when I attempted to they Y for yes, AppArmor caused my computer to freeze and I couldn't type anything and had to reinstall Ubuntu 12.04.

Now, after reinstalling Ubuntu 12.04, I used a command I found on the internet to remove AppArmor, which worked. Once I upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04, I ran the same command to make sure AppArmor was nowhere to be found on my Ubuntu installation, which, it wasn't, so, I figured that Sentora would install this time.

When, I used the bash command for Sentora, it attempted to disable and remove AppArmor, which, is nowhere to be found since I removed it, but Sentora still attempted to remove it anyway. I read that AppArmor is some kind of security thing for Ubuntu that disables some programs not to be installed, and maybe, that's why everytime Sentora tries to install, it has to attempt to disable and remove AppArmor; it, at least tries to in Ubuntu 14.04. For some reason, I have no problem with AppArmor when installing Sentora in Ubuntu 12.04, just Ubuntu 14.04.

Does anyone know how to get around Ubuntu 14.04's AppArmor, so, I can install Sentora smoothly. Now, I like Sentora just like I liked zPanel and I think y'all are doing a great job for a free panel, so, I'm NOT coming down on y'all Big Grin .

Or, what Operating System are y'all using to run sentora.org? Because, I know that since y'all make the server, y'all must be using it. Also, is it just as easy to install and work with like Ubuntu? Thanks.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
How to install older sentora with older mysql version atomiq 0 4 ,514 11-30-2019, 04:27 PM
Last Post: atomiq
Migrate from ZPanel to Sentora chongma 26 69 ,398 04-01-2016, 06:24 PM
Last Post: Me.B
Can i upgrade ZPanel 10.1.1 with Sentora upgrade script? Ron-e 77 242 ,284 09-19-2015, 12:51 AM
Last Post: kandrews