This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Is it always safe to run apt-get update and apt-get upgrade on my Sentora server
Is it always safe to run apt-get update and apt-get upgrade on my Sentora server
Dear Sentora support team and user community,

I have used the Sentora control panel for several years now, and have only ran these commands (apt-get update and apt-get upgrade) when required, due to some web application asking for an updated version of some software I have installed on my server.

However, I would just like confirmation by the support team on whether or not it's safe to run these commands on my server running Sentora. I think it's important to run, as the server will get the needed security updates, but I worry it will break something in Sentora. Do I need to have this concern?

I'm aware that Sentora does not yet support php7, nor does it support upgrading to Ubuntu 16.04, so I won't be doing this. But I believe the Ubuntu Apt-get Update and Apt-get Upgrade only upgrade minor versions of the installed server software. Therefore, does this mean, it is safe to run these commands on a monthly basis to keep the server secure and updated with the most recent software or can it break my sentora control panel?

Thank you for your support!
Thanks given by:
RE: Is it always safe to run apt-get update and apt-get upgrade on my Sentora server
you are safe as long you are using the official repos and use the supported OS's.

M B
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by:
RE: Is it always safe to run apt-get update and apt-get upgrade on my Sentora server
Thanks for the quick reply!
Yep, I am no expert, so I don't mess around with the repos, etc. I am just running a standard Ubuntu 14.04 which I then ran the Sentora installer on. So I guess it's safe to run these going forward.
How often is usually recommended to run these commands, if you don't mind sharing your opinion.
But, thank you very much for your response. I will at least now be at ease when I run this. Thanks!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Repo update error hostingms 3 5 ,246 02-14-2024, 09:20 AM
Last Post: TGates
Is Sentora dead? rajeevrrs 2 2 ,880 12-17-2022, 09:20 AM
Last Post: TGates
Sentora debug and error files johnnyp 0 1 ,099 10-27-2022, 06:16 PM
Last Post: johnnyp