This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Wildcard subdomain, file manager, ...
Wildcard subdomain, file manager, ...
I'm testing a server with Sentora but I have some doubts ...
Is it possible to create subdomains with wildcard (*)?
When domains or subdomains are generated is not possible to assign them to an existing folder in a domain? (not the main client or domain)
Is there an application to manage the files within each account or domain?
Thanks given by:
RE: Wildcard subdomain, file manager, ...
If you click 'Use existing home directory' when adding a subdomain is lists all available folders...??

To manage files, use FTP accounts!
Thanks given by:
Indeed, it shows me only the main folders for each domain. But I need to direct the subdomain to an internal folder (subfolder).

About handling of files. Other payment control panels allow you to run these tasks from the server, making them much faster and more efficient, such as decompression / compression, move files between folders, etc. This option will be considered in the future?
Thanks given by:
For example: folder /domain_root/sub_domain/ correct?
Currently ZPanel does not allow for this since it is using a subfolder  rather than subdomain
You can access subfolders like so: domain.com/subfolder/ (No real need to hassle with a subdomain if this is the case)

And if it is a subsubfolder, (ex: /domain_root/sub_folder/folder_to_show/ then you can use a .htaccess file to rewrite the url to the intended folder so it would appear it is in the next folder like: domain.com/folder_to_show/.

There are other 3rd party modules that can do this. We will just have to get them updated to this site though (they were all on the ZP site)
-TGates - Project Council

SEARCH the Forums or read the DOCUMENTATION before posting!
Support Sentora and Donate: HERE

Find my support or modules useful? Donate to TGates HERE
Developers and code testers needed!
Contact TGates for more information
Thanks given by: fpinedoh
I appreciate your comments ... I try to better understand this control panel and I am making comparisons with others I know.

What about statement with wildcard subdomain, you have a solution? Some applications, such as leverage WordPress to create hits on multisite blogs.
Thanks given by:
Hey,

I had the exact same problems. I need to assign a different document root and I need a wildcard subdomain entry for my domain. It was not possible using the UI, but with some tricks and the Virtual Host override settings.

So in order to select a different home directory I chose "select existing home directory", manipulated the HTML select/option element using my browsers (Chrome) developer tools and simply changed
Code:
<option value="">/ (root)</option>
to
Code:
<option value="example.com/public">/ (root)</option>
(of course I had this option selected!) on the "Create a new domain" form and submitted.

There really should be another input to specify a custom home directory! I don't think there's anything not working with having different homes set. It's a 5-minute-task to modify the form and script to handle this correctly I guess.

To assign a wildcard subdomain using the VirtualHost settings, go to "Admin -> Module Admin -> Apache Config", scroll down, select the VirtualHost you want to have a wildcard subdomain entry and add the following ServerAlias:
Code:
ServerAlias *.example.com

And you might have to change the open_basedir there, too, if your website needs to include PHP scripts from outside the home directory, as I had to. Because the default value will be your home directory. So you can override the value for the vhost here, too:
Code:
php_admin_value open_basedir "/var/zpanel/hostdata/your_user/public_html/example.com/:/var/zpanel/temp/
Thanks given by: fpinedoh , Trax

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
How to set up File Manger for Sentora? donaldaugust 1 3 ,217 01-11-2022, 05:01 AM
Last Post: Nigel
Public_html Inside Domain/Subdomain zHostingSolutions 2 4 ,083 07-23-2021, 09:57 AM
Last Post: Nigel
redirect error after letsencrypt + subdomain mizerek 1 4 ,031 08-06-2020, 04:54 AM
Last Post: mizerek