This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

New to Sentora - Help installing software after install
New to Sentora - Help installing software after install
So, I am a long time user of cpanel, but since I have decided to finally ditch shared hosting and build my server from scratch using DigitalOcean VPS services, I thought I would look into what was available as a free open source control panel...so far SENTORA has been the best out of the 5 I evaluated.

Now I got my websites up and running on Sentora and DigitalOcean, but I am a bit worried about adding software through Ubuntu's apt-get. Should I be?

For example, I want to install image-magick. I went ahead as I normally would and ran

# apt-get install image-magick.

It installed just fine and now I have it running and working with my Drupal sites. But did I break anything in Sentora by doing this?

If I want to install other software on the server box such as htop or something else. Do I risk breaking Sentora and causing outages for my websites being hosted?

Also, when it comes time to want to upgrade php to a newer version, is it safe to run the apt-get command to upgrade php, etc, or should this all be done through the Sentora control panel?

Just curious how I am supposed to treat this server now that Sentora is running on top of it and managing things.

Thank you!
Thanks given by:
RE: New to Sentora - Help installing software after install
@americanninja

As far as i know untill now Sentora didnt gave me any kind of problems and all my websites are up and running with the same configurations you have except a different hosting provider.

I dont use Drupal, but i managed to install other systems and it works just fine. But you should be carefull to not overwrite some of the core files that makes Sentora work. Read the installations files before you start doing that (my advice to you).

Have a good hosting experience! Best regards! Wink
'' Life is full of important choices ''
Help Sentora Donate now => http://sentora.org/donate Blush
Thanks given by:
Thanks WormsUnited! So you have been using it for some time now? Have you ever upgraded PHP on your server? How do you go about doing that? Does Sentora automatically handle that for you, do you do it through the control panel somewhere or just run the command through the terminal?

thanks!
Thanks given by:
@americanninja

I made the installation like a month ago and by the time i made iti had a fresh install already with the lattest php version on it and yes by terminal.

In another machine i have the old zPanel and with updates is running great also by terminal updates (SSH). I am going to proceed in the next few days to another fresh install of Sentora since i love this project, tested a lot of other projects and this one is simply the best and easiest to work on.

americanninja, i already tested cPanel, Centos Web Panel, Virtualmin, Webmin, among others. This one for me and i do hosting for my costumers, works just fine and we can create new modules and extend as we wish, so that is one of the nices things i found about this.

The community is great helping and i am sure you also going to love like i do.

Wink
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the detailed response and advice. Yes, so far this is the best I have seen when I was evaluating control panels. So far I love it, I just need to sort out a few things I am having issues with today. Primarily two things, backup doesn't seem to work (the pop up window is missing the button) and tasks I add to the cron manager don't appear to be processed. Once I get these two things fixed I'm 100% again. Always a learning opportunity I guess with new software/technology.

Thank you for all your help so far!
Thanks given by:
@americanninja

You are more then welcome Wink
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Is Sentora dead? rajeevrrs 2 2 ,874 12-17-2022, 09:20 AM
Last Post: TGates