This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Hide DNS Software Version on Sentora 1.0.3
Hide DNS Software Version on Sentora 1.0.3
Hi there,

It seems i am not able to Hide the Hide DNS Software Version in Sentora using named.conf on Bind. I added successfully the entry's as follows:

PHP Code:
// /etc/named.conf
options {

// Hide bind version

version "unknown";
}; 

Then i restarted the service:

PHP Code:
service named restart 

All was ok i checked the version too using this code:

PHP Code:
dig +short @ns1.example.com version.bind txt chaos 

In this case i got a return value of "unknown", problem is that it does not hide it. Now, this is a security problem since a new vulnerability maybe can be found in DNS software and script kiddies are scanning the Internet to exploit unpatched systems.

It's a best practice to hide software version on your DNS servers, although this is not a real protection it just makes a little harder to find your servers via scanning.

Any ideas why this is not working?
Thanks in advance
'' Life is full of important choices ''
Help Sentora Donate now => http://sentora.org/donate Blush
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Hide DNS Software Version on Sentora 1.0.3 - by wormsunited - 10-24-2017, 10:52 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cloudflare issue with sentora testing 3 10 ,444 11-21-2017, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Me.B
Sentora Subdomain Installl sathish2009 2 6 ,837 04-03-2017, 11:50 AM
Last Post: sathish2009
Unable to delete wrongly spelled domain in Sentora asnair 1 5 ,578 02-06-2017, 03:43 AM
Last Post: Me.B