This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Which Linux Distro?
Which Linux Distro?
This thread may benefit a lot of Windows ZPanel users, I like many others have loved using ZPanel in a Windows environment, Linux isn't for everyone but it seems we have no choice if we want to use Sentora (quite disappointing).

So the question is which Linux distro is the best option for Sentora for a predominantly windows user?

For me the OS will be going on a VM and used for nothing but hosting via Sentora so I guess I am looking for whatever is easiest to setup with little bulk for stuff that I will never use. Being used to remote desktop and a nice GUI in windows for things like file management, backups, start/stop services with event log for errors etc is the move to Linux going to be an all command line experience?

Once Sentora is up and running like ZPanel the web interface should be the main entry for administration, but there are always things needing to be done in the OS, usually fixing problems and its these tasks that concern me most in an unfamiliar possibly command line only OS.
Thanks given by:
RE: Which Linux Distro?
Sentora might be back to windows... May be not officially but I want that back and nothing prevent it for sentora 1.x. Mainly it's 2.x is planned to drop windows (currently).

I like centos minimal. It's effective and well maintained. Don't forget sentora/zpanel are meant for the config we setup. Don't add CGI/PERL/Ruby or other stuff as security model is built mainly for php.

M B
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by:
I personally found CentOS the easiest to configure and learn, However...

It's completely down to preference!

I would advise to install virtualbox on your windows machine and netinstall CentOS and Ubuntu VM's, then play and choose your preferred distro Smile
Thanks given by:
I'm going to build a CentOS VM on my ESXi box this weekend and see how it goes Smile thanks for the tips
Thanks given by:
There are minor differences between distros, for example service names:

Apache CentOS : httpd
Apahce Ubuntu : apache2

Bind9 CentOS : named
Bind9 Ubuntu : bind

Once you know linux you can hope between distros with a smaller learning curve, its just the initial jump from windows can be quite daunting Wink
Thanks given by:
MariaDB Vs MySQL for centos 7 / ubuntu 14 so services no more having same name ;-)

M B
How to ask

Thanks given by:
Ah man... more to remember lol :p
Thanks given by:
(09-19-2014, 09:52 PM)Me.B Wrote: MariaDB Vs MySQL for centos 7 / ubuntu 14 so services no more having same name ;-)

Are you saying Centos uses MariaDB and Ubuntu uses MySQL?

I am very familiar with MySQL so that might push me down the Ubuntu route. Never heard of MariaDB!
Thanks given by:
MariaDB is mySQL fork right the same as sentora VS Zpanel.

The original MySQL team forked it to MariaDB...

M B
How to ask

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sentora or zpanel in linux digimat 1 5 ,210 07-31-2015, 10:37 PM
Last Post: apinto
Issues with linux Nextus 2 6 ,907 02-28-2015, 04:12 AM
Last Post: TGates