This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

A file manager is necessary !?
A file manager is necessary !?
This is exactly what was missing in zpanel, and is what is missing in Sentora, to take off and attract more users, I have some friends who do not use zpanel and will not use the Sentora, only the lack of a file manager.

Not need to be native to the core, but need to have some app like AjaXplorer, already installed.

Just as we have the database managers like phpmyadmin and the SQLBuddy, or even as roundcube mail reader.

We must have a file manager, as I said, there is no need for this directly on the core, but only as an APP is enough.

Think with me, all good hosting control panel, paid or opensource, have some file manager, for which reason the Sentora not have?

I believe we should take this issue more seriously and start using any file manager.

In addition to the basic, what we all look for in a control panel is a file manager, who participated in the forum Zpanel, know that this topic was one of the most popular, and here not being different.

I am willing to contribute to this project, already use the Zpanel a long time, and would continue to use the Sentora.

Well I would like the opinion of all who participate in the forum, what do you think?
Thanks given by:
RE: A file manager is necessary !?
Not using a file manager but installing monstaFTP on a sub domain for my customers so they can use it & it's working fine & safe.

I never used a file manager beside I had that even on Cpanel or Helm/ Plesk.

If you want to contribute to the project you can write the module already no?

It's easy to say we need & want features. BUT we need more time & developers here.

I want a lot of features in the panel & for that I'm actively helping.

M B
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by:
(11-23-2014, 07:10 PM)Me.B Wrote: Not using a file manager but installing monstaFTP on a sub domain for my customers so they can use it & it's working fine & safe.
Yes it is an idea, but that does not appeal to most people who want a friendly host to the User.

(11-23-2014, 07:10 PM)Me.B Wrote: I never used a file manager beside I had that even on Cpanel or Helm/ Plesk.
I do not need, and I think anyone who uses the Sentora/Zpanel need, but most lay users is asking for it, and usually without it, we lose users/customers.

(11-23-2014, 07:10 PM)Me.B Wrote: If you want to contribute to the project you can write the module already no?
Just as it is easy to say that we need, it is easy to talk to users/customers to create their own modules.

(11-23-2014, 07:10 PM)Me.B Wrote: It's easy to say we need & want features. BUT we need more time & developers here.
This is the problem, not everyone using the system are required to have the knowledge to a development of this magnitude.
Most runs away from a community where you arrive with an idea, and people send you develop, community grows self help, ideas are to be discussed, not just kill her saying "execulte his idea alone, we are very busy here."
This way, possible developers, not even try to do something.

(11-23-2014, 07:10 PM)Me.B Wrote: I want a lot of features in the panel & for that I'm actively helping.

M B
know is true, and I want, I'm just here to discuss a way of doing,

To do something alone, without help from anyone, no need to come to the community forum.

Myself being an apprentice, participate in large projects such as translations and Romhack, have knowledge in perl, php and java, actively participated in the project Openkore (openkore.com) and even in these projects, always debating and support new ideas, almost all of to take into consideration, and that's why these projects have grown both in its golden epoch we had many dev.

I've read several response of this same type in the forum Zpanel, and I'm seeing here is not being different, I hope to change the position to grow.

Of all the control panel, Zpanel/Sentora was always my choice, and I hope it stays that way.

[]'s
Finallf
Thanks given by: iTpain
Yep, it would defintely be nice to have a file manager but right now the priority has to be getting the first release out for the devs.

Most open source panels do not offer a file manager so it would be good if we could stand out in this regard though.

We did use to have a AjaXplorer module that worked well but we've had a few people complaining they couldn't get it to work on Sentroa.
Before posting, update your profile with your OS, Sentora version and server type!

Thanks given by:
We are a small team & all help welcome here.

We must prioritize features & focus on key important taks. There is a lot to do.

It's obvious a file manager no one from the team want to put it on top task list. We have a lot to do already for adding suEXEC & securing more zpanel.

You can help in many ways: graphics ( providing themes), translation, testing, coding or donating money for the project.

Sorry the reply may look harsh but again we can't put that on top task list & this is the main reason. If you asked for example for suEXEC I would replied it's currently planned for next release (hope so).

We have a lot of users of zpanel/sentora but very few step in & help really in the project.

M B
How to ask

Thanks given by:
Hey guys just to put something over the table to think about.
This post started as a good idea with the best of the intentions on mind and got a bit "tense" in the middle.
So I will step in with my opinion for both and my propossal to solve the lack of the file manager.

==== What I think of the "situation" created around the subject ====

Finallf this are yout words so please, be aware that at no point this means any offense to you or is a personal attack of any kind. On the opposite I want to show were the good intent was misslead so we can do better in the future all of us:

(11-23-2014, 10:22 PM)Finallf Wrote: I do not need, and I think anyone who uses the Sentora/Zpanel need, but most lay users is asking for it, and usually without it, we lose users/customers.
1st. If you are losing customers because of this, that means you are making profits over something you didn't paid for and in that order of ideas you migth consideer the following options.
Option 1. Develop yourself (having in mind you know how).
Option 2. Take some of the profits and invest it on pay a developer/freelance.
Option 3. Search and download the file explorer of your preference, then Subscribe to the Sentora's premium support program and get some help to implement it (more than sure they will give you a priority hand if you need it).

2nd. If you are sure that "most" users are asking for this feature please share with us the data from where you base your statement or at least the results.
I mean, you must have a number of request of this kind analyzed and organized to determine the % of people requesting this feature and being necessary over 50% the result to say "most".

Those numbers will lead to a better understanding of were lies the importance of this over the rest of the project to the developers (if there is any).

(11-23-2014, 10:22 PM)Finallf Wrote:
(11-23-2014, 07:10 PM)Me.B Wrote: If you want to contribute to the project you can write the module already no?
Just as it is easy to say that we need, it is easy to talk to users/customers to create their own modules.
And as easy to request the work labor from someone to whom you are not paying and you are making profit over for your own advantage. In other plain and simple words you are using the people for your personal purposes without give anything in return and complaining when they get back to you requesting for motivation or to you to stop the abuse.

(11-23-2014, 10:22 PM)Finallf Wrote: This is the problem, not everyone using the system are required to have the knowledge to a development of this magnitude.
Most runs away from a community where you arrive with an idea, and people send you develop, community grows self help, ideas are to be discussed, not just kill her saying "execulte his idea alone, we are very busy here."
This way, possible developers, not even try to do something.
You are rigth when you point the way a healthy community grows but also for that end we need to create trust and a team work climate starting by expressing ourselves in a better way and controlling our mood (both sides the users and the moderators).

If the lack of time or ManPower to develop this modules from the sentora core team is a problem It depend's on how you see it.
From my point of view instead of see a problem I could see
A. A business opportunity to make some cash over it.
Meaning if they don't have the time and manpower to do it, probably somebody does and can create a sollution and provide licensing for a fee.
B. An opportunitty to raise up my reputation on the comunitty and show my interest/comittment to the project, and over most motivate the sentora team showing they are not alone.
C. An opportunitty to do something for the I.T. world that can make me proud of it and can be included on my curriculum as a result of my efforts and professional capabilities.

(11-23-2014, 10:22 PM)Finallf Wrote:
(11-23-2014, 07:10 PM)Me.B Wrote: I want a lot of features in the panel & for that I'm actively helping.
M B
Know is true, and I want, I'm just here to discuss a way of doing,
If your goal was to discuss a way to get/provide help sorry to say but your approach was not the best one.

Is not necessary the use of bad words to offend people, and basically with the way you posed your need during the discussion you made it sound like the whole team (not just Me.B) is not doing the rigth thing and this shows low or none respect for their work (although you made it up later).
IMO.

Me.B
I understand the frustration created around comments like this.
For that I don't think the answer was rough.

In the other hand Finallf raises up something important about how to propperly use the force that is lying on the community and that can be played in the favor of all of us. Think about it, people want to help but it is starting to be necessary the help of somebody able to organize the feedback from the community.
Probably something to brainstorm over to organize ideas after the First release.
Don't know... just a thougth!.

==== My propossal to solve the lack of the file manager ====
Finallf, If you what to go over this I'll propose you the following, let's make a list together (you, jacobg830, me) of the file explorers available on the market that can be used. With that information and the help of Me.B and other fellow Sentorers then we narrow down to the best possible options and from there on we start checking on how to implement the sollution.

That way we do several things in here.
1st. Move on the subject,
2nd. Let Sentora team focus on what is priority for the project and provide a release in the best conditions.
3rd. We stand up together to show our support and not only our demanding to get what we need and we think is good for the community.

What do you guys think? Wink
To err is human... to really screw up requires the root password  Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a plan, though I just lag the time to actually do anything haha.

Well there are two options about intergration; either install as a app like phpMyAdmin etc OR intergrate it right in the panel. Something like Pydio would be best installed as a app while if you were to go with something 'simpler' like elFinder then that'd best be intergrated into the panel itself.

A pretty comprehensive list of web file managers exists at http://www.fromdev.com/2012/08/Best-Open...tions.html

Also take into account the license of the file manager - something that's open source is needed!

There is also the possibility coding your own one if none fit the criteria - though this will take someone who wants dedicate a fair bit of time into it!
Before posting, update your profile with your OS, Sentora version and server type!

Thanks given by:
Building such module would not be so hard. I even took time to check that ajax explorer aka pydio works fine on a normal hosting:

https://pyd.io/

BUT my concern is always having such features executing within the panel context.
In my own setup I move off webmail/phpmyadmin to a custom subdomain for my customers, so I can maintain it & ensure it's locked down ( less privilege than execution into sentora sub domain).

Check monstaFTP that will use the ftp access to upload/ manage/edit files & works great.

M B
How to ask

Thanks given by:
(11-23-2014, 11:21 PM)jacobg830 Wrote: Yep, it would defintely be nice to have a file manager but right now the priority has to be getting the first release out for the devs.
yes, I believe that all accompanying the Zpanel / Sentora to know it. The ideas were posted for future development.
(11-23-2014, 11:21 PM)jacobg830 Wrote: Most open source panels do not offer a file manager so it would be good if we could stand out in this regard though.
exactly
(11-23-2014, 11:21 PM)jacobg830 Wrote: We did use to have a AjaXplorer module that worked well but we've had a few people complaining they couldn't get it to work on Sentroa.
Use this module in Zpanel, and works very well.
Do not test the Sentora, but should not be hard to fix the problems, if any, may be just changes names and directories, so we have a stable version of Sentora'll test.
_________

(11-23-2014, 11:23 PM)Me.B Wrote: We are a small team & all help welcome here.

We must prioritize features & focus on key important taks. There is a lot to do.

It's obvious a file manager no one from the team want to put it on top task list. We have a lot to do already for adding suEXEC & securing more zpanel.
Sure, priorities and safety always come first, but that does not mean we can not have a list of future features that could come into development, every project needs to have something like this. Like "to do"
(11-23-2014, 11:23 PM)Me.B Wrote: You can help in many ways: graphics ( providing themes), translation, testing, coding or donating money for the project.
I can?
At the beginning of the forum, the first thing I did was send a PM to TGates, asking basically where I could be useful to the project, I am waiting for the response so far.
(11-23-2014, 11:23 PM)Me.B Wrote: Sorry the reply may look harsh but again we can't put that on top task list & this is the main reason. If you asked for example for suEXEC I would replied it's currently planned for next release (hope so).

We have a lot of users of zpanel/sentora but very few step in & help really in the project.

M B
We do not want take the lead priorities, a 'to do', solves it, and does not enter the priorities would like suggestions for the future, you know?

I think they're with few dev really, but I think they are not doing the minimum for that new people are interested in the project.
Thanks given by:
(11-23-2014, 11:21 PM)jacobg830 Wrote: I understand the frustration created around comments like this.
For that I don't think the answer was rough.

In the other hand Finallf raises up something important about how to propperly use the force that is lying on the community and that can be played in the favor of all of us. Think about it, people want to help but it is starting to be necessary the help of somebody able to organize the feedback from the community.
Probably something to brainstorm over to organize ideas after the First release.
Don't know... just a thougth!.

==== My propossal to solve the lack of the file manager ====
Finallf, If you what to go over this I'll propose you the following, let's make a list together (you, @[jacobg830], me) of the file explorers available on the market that can be used. With that information and the help of Me.B and other fellow Sentorers then we narrow down to the best possible options and from there on we start checking on how to implement the sollution.

That way we do several things in here.
1st. Move on the subject,
2nd. Let Sentora team focus on what is priority for the project and provide a release in the best conditions.
3rd. We stand up together to show our support and not only our demanding to get what we need and we think is good for the community.

What do you guys think? Wink
Yes, exactly what I'm saying, your expression would not be different to explain the purpose of my post, Perfect.
Thanks given by: