This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Free Forums Service
Free Forums Service
hi all

ive a spare server im thinking on setting up and thinking of providing a Free Forums service for the communities websites it doesnt have to be Sentora related forums you can use it for your own websites, discussions etc the service will be fully automated so no waiting for activation etc.

Forum software will be based on MyBB and will be kept updated and the server will be CentOS based

Server i will be using to make sure resources are fine for the task is

Forums will be backed up nightly to a secure server

If anyones interested please let me know.

thanks.
Thanks given by: algosto
RE: Free Forums Service
Thanks for the offer but we already have this.
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by:
RE: Free Forums Service
(10-28-2014, 01:35 PM)Chris L Wrote: hi all

ive a spare server im thinking on setting up and thinking of providing a Free Forums service for the communities websites it doesnt have to be Sentora related forums you can use it for your own websites, discussions etc the service will be fully automated so no waiting for activation etc.

Forum software will be based on MyBB and will be kept updated and the server will be CentOS based

Server i will be using to make sure resources are fine for the task is

Forums will be backed up nightly to a secure server

If anyones interested please let me know.

thanks.

Hi

If you are going to offer a forum service free I would suggest you look at front end / inbound security to try and prevent abuse, spam, malware infection/injection etc.

Consider setting up IPtables, only have opened ports needed, go with a service like Snort or Threatstop or another one to bring in lists to stop, block & drop inbound bad / malicious connections etc...

Forums & Blogs are magnets for the worst the internet has to throw at you when it comes to abuse and malicious intent. Now couple that with your intent to allow fast no waiting auto provisioning without having any abuse vetting and you are asking for trouble.

A free service with or without ad support seems great at first but if you do not take security & potential for abuse into consideration you'll be shutdown by your Cloud / Datacenter provider before you know it.

Think about and anticipate the worst case scenario.

Take your time and do not rush anything into production with out testing and making sure everything is secure.

Just my 16+ years of IT experience & 2 cents!

Wish you best of luck!

----
Donald DAvanzo
Chief Technology Officer
www.sincitycloud.com
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Forums Issue JuliaRoss 1 3 ,743 05-30-2021, 07:03 AM
Last Post: TGates
Free Wildcard Certificates Me.B 11 26 ,509 03-05-2020, 12:09 AM
Last Post: vanillacable
IS there reason for DropBox not to work on the forums? worksmarter 1 5 ,977 01-16-2017, 03:57 AM
Last Post: TGates