This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

How to setup secondary name server
How to setup secondary name server
Hi!
I've installed Sentora on a VPS but to be fair to the internet I would need a secondary name server for ns2.mydomain.net, how can i set up that? (I'm interested in the BIND configuration part for Sentora and the second server which is already up and running with different IP, server park and geo location)

Server 1: Ubuntu 14.04 64Bit with Sentora 1
Server 2: Ubuntu 14.04 64Bit without Sentora, just the basic Ubuntu installation (not the minimal one)
Thanks given by:
RE: How to setup secondary name server
just set the IP for NS2 to the other server.
-TGates - Project Council

SEARCH the Forums or read the DOCUMENTATION before posting!
Support Sentora and Donate: HERE

Find my support or modules useful? Donate to TGates HERE
Developers and code testers needed!
Contact TGates for more information
Thanks given by:
It won't work as he also need to create the zones as slaves in second ubuntu and run a cron to sync the zones in servers 2 ( create / remove the slaves zones).

M B
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by:
(10-14-2014, 05:18 PM)Me.B Wrote: It won't work as he also need to create the zones as slaves in second ubuntu and run a cron to sync the zones in servers 2 ( create / remove the slaves zones).
Yap, that's what i'm talking about, just interested if there's a script or a snippet somewhere in the code that would make it easier.
Thanks given by:
No code in sentora currently to help you doing so.

If you want badly to have DNS on 2 different server check cloudflare.com free DNS they are really good, you don't have to manage dns in sentora panel.

M B
How to ask

Thanks given by:
(10-14-2014, 02:17 PM)TGates Wrote: just set the IP for NS2 to the other server.

Many domain registrars require that the second DNS server for the domain was in different address class.
Thanks given by:
Hi,

Few months ago, when zPanel was still a topic in my company cloud service i managed to make some scripts
that sync with secondary DNS for this issue to be solved.

However, i propose back in zPanel forum that would be nice if just two "hooks" would be added.
One for createing new zone, and one when zone is deleted.
In that way, we would be in able to write a couple of simple scripts to sync two secondary DNS every time when
hew domain/zone is created ( not using cron )  ,and new users of Sentora ( our choice in the future ) in our cloud  will not have to worry about that.

Thank you,
Stefan
Thanks given by:
(10-29-2014, 07:28 PM)StefanMNS Wrote: Hi,

Few months ago, when zPanel was still a topic in my company cloud service i managed to make some scripts
that sync with secondary DNS for this issue to be solved.

However, i propose back in zPanel forum that would be nice if just two "hooks" would be added.
One for createing new zone, and one when zone is deleted.
In that way, we would be in able to write a couple of simple scripts to sync two secondary DNS every time when
hew domain/zone is created ( not using cron )  ,and new users of Sentora ( our choice in the future ) in our cloud  will not have to worry about that.

Thank you,
Stefan

Thanks for the feedback. A good point. We should also do the same even for websites.

Would be great if you share some of your scripts?

& as always all feedback is welcome from hosting companies.

M B
How to ask

Thanks given by:
When you say 'no code in Sentora currently...' is that an indication that it may be available soon?

I'd be keen to run two Sentora instances with one acting as a slave and auto-populating the DNS zones. I have it set up manually at present to test it, but can see it become much trickier to maintain further down the line.
Thanks given by:
I don't see it on 1.1 features we look to add.

I think it might be added if we plan to work on multiservers. But it's not so hard to add manually too using a script.
How to ask

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Ubuntu: How to setup TLS on postfix and dovecot Diablo925 28 107 ,083 02-15-2018, 08:46 PM
Last Post: duane
[How-To] Install the perfect Sentora server using CentOS 7 betatester3.0 0 6 ,321 10-18-2017, 12:55 AM
Last Post: betatester3.0
Centos 7 : Setup Spamassassin Untouchable 8 53 ,217 03-26-2017, 06:35 PM
Last Post: chongma