This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Absolute newbie question about mx records
Absolute newbie question about mx records
First of all, thank you so much for this wonderful, free software!

This is my first time trying to run my own website on my own PC. I have a dynamic IP address, so use DynDNS's nameservers to connect to the website. That's another story, but I'm getting there, slowly!

The problem I'm having is that I can't send or receive eMails to my domain mailboxes and I'm not sure what to add in the MX records, either within Sentora or DynDNS. I've tried mail.mydomain.com, but nothing is received at all within the mailbox, but the address set up within the server config receives all eMails sent to the server.

I'm hoping, at some point, to host all of my own websites, and with some research it appears I'd be better off having a static IP address, but this is not possible at this time. Could that be the problem?
Thanks given by:
RE: Absolute newbie question about mx records
[i Wrote:angeljs][/i]First of all, thank you so much for this wonderful, free software!
Hi, this is not labeled "Free", Sentora Panel is an open source platform which is licensed under GPLv3 (Should be v3).

angeljs Wrote:I have a dynamic IP address

Firstly if you want to run your own website, here's a tip get rid of the Dynamic ip that renders your site useless as your ip could change at any moment. Secondly you need a fast connection at least 20mb download and 20mb upload if you want your clients to be satisfied sort of, do you have the necessary skill to maintain a server and a mail server 0_0 ?, do you have the proper hardware? do you have ssd's and not hdd's. Are you prepared to face huge amounts of traffic flooding your home network ?

angeljs Wrote:The problem I'm having is that I can't send or receive eMails to my domain mailboxes and I'm not sure what to add in the MX records, either within Sentora or DynDNS. I've tried mail.mydomain.com, but nothing is received at all within the mailbox, but the address set up within the server config receives all eMails sent to the server.

I'm hoping, at some point, to host all of my own websites, and with some research it appears I'd be better off having a static IP address, but this is not possible at this time. Could that be the problem?

NOTE: Sentora Panel is DOES NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORT WINDOWS

So keeping the "NOTE" and the forum topic/header as well as your topic name "newbie", why the hell would you ask for support on an OS that is not supported and if you want to get it working 100% on windows you will have to have at least PHP if you do not know PHP you are going to find it very hard to get it up and running 100%. im not even going to bother to help you fix the mail issue as I'm not a fan of windows a web server but fear not I shall leave you a hint "Why do windows users have to setup the email server manually for windows ? but for Linux users they seem to work from the get go?".

Here's a smart idea
Step 1: scrap windows
Step 2: get Ubuntu or Centos 7 
Step 3: set a static ip as well as contact your isp so that they can set a static ip as well
Step 4: install sentora
Step 5: found and error in the installation?
Step 6: you can gladly create a topic or thread (keeping in my that you would have to know the forum rules), and the development team would actually reply to your posts since your not using WINDOWS.

"Sentora on Windows (Un-Offical) v1.0
This forum is dedicated to maintaining Sentora on Windows support by the Community (NOT the Staff!) and is considered 'Un-Official' at this point."

If you would like assistance on a Linux Distro, feel free to tag me in the post and I will help you if its not a windows problem Smile
-BetaTester3.0  ||  Just Another Sentora User. 

Did you know, Sentora has a full Support Documentation ?
If I helped +rep & Thanks is appreciated.
BTC: 1Bps3ZerDFDDnXJ9XdWtHhdhwsV4MVGLkw

Thanks given by:
I really don't know 'why the hell' I asked here in the first place. Thanks for the tone of the reply to a newbie who asked a simple question and got a hostile, patronising rant in return. And not one piece of useful info on the MX records. If Windows is not tolerated, then 'why the hell' is there a forum dedicated to Windows support by the community? If you had no intention of answering my question, then you should not have replied just to get your opinions across.
Thanks given by:
(09-12-2017, 05:59 PM)angeljs Wrote: I really don't know 'why the hell' I asked here in the first place. Thanks for the tone of the reply to a newbie who asked a simple question and got a hostile, patronising rant in return. And not one piece of useful info on the MX records. If Windows is not tolerated, then 'why the hell' is there a forum dedicated to Windows support by the community? If you had no intention of answering my question, then you should not have replied just to get your opinions across.

The internet is a big and mean place you should learn to google and at least learn that if something is not recommended then DONT USE IT. That "tone" that was used is a persons who is tired of reading forums where the 'newbie' can't use GOOGLE. That free thing that is provided to us so that we can evolve. Annnyywhooo. I did not state windows is not "tolerated" I simply said that its not officially supported. The reason there is a topic for Windows, hmmm... lets use common sense for a second, ahhh the topic is there for users who have coding knowledge and they know there way around windows server so they don't have to go else where the community can grow the windows support.

angeljs Wrote:If you had no intention of answering my question, then you should not have replied just to get your opinions across.

I am a very blunt man I do not hide what I am thinking and from where I'm sitting I still have my Freedom of Speech so I can express my opinion where ever I want to.

betatester3.0 Wrote:Here's a smart idea
Step 1: scrap windows
Step 2: get Ubuntu or Centos 7 
Step 3: set a static ip as well as contact your isp so that they can set a static ip as well
Step 4: install sentora
Step 5: found and error in the installation?
Step 6: you can gladly create a topic or thread (keeping in my that you would have to know the forum rules), and the development team would actually reply to your posts since your not using WINDOWS.

THIS 'NEWBIE' CAN'T EVEN READ PROPERLY, if you had read my post correctly I offered help and assistance to you just not on the windows platform. How is this, since I think I honestly was a bit harsh I will help you setup Sentora Panel on CentOS/Ubuntu for you under one condition ?

Condition: you have to read the full docs http://docs.sentora.org/

Thanks given by:
Wow betatester3.0, calm down...
She is just a beginner at this stuff trying to figure things out. (i am also still trying to figure out how some of this stuff works Tongue )
But indeed the windows branch which is unofficial and maintained by MarkDark (which isn't really active on the forum) has not much support.
So if i may give you some advice angeljs, officialy Sentora only supports Ubuntu or CentOS so there is the most support and knollage about for you on this forum.
Try both and maybe choose one ( me=CentOS Tongue ) so there is more information about it and google, the staff and other Sentora enthusiasts can help more/better.
May look difficult but it's good to learn..
(what the hell my english is really bad today  Confused , hope you still can understand it.. just home from a long and hard day at work... )

Small extra addition: Notice where both not staff, just people on a forum.. Wink

My Sentora DemoMy GithubAuxio Github
Zentora themeS-Type themeCstyleX theme
flat-color-iconssmall-n-flat-icons

Sentora's development takes way too long, so i'm transitioning to HestiaCP.
Thanks given by:
(09-13-2017, 01:29 AM)Ron-e Wrote: Wow @[betatester3.0], calm down...
She is just a beginner at this stuff trying to figure things out. (i am also still trying to figure out how some of this stuff works Tongue )
But indeed the windows branch which is unofficial and maintained by @[MarkDark] (which isn't really active on the forum) has not much support.
So if i may give you some advice angeljs, officialy Sentora only supports Ubuntu or CentOS so there is the most support and knollage about for you on this forum.
Try both and maybe choose one ( me=CentOS Tongue ) so there is more information about it and google, the staff and other Sentora enthusiasts can help more/better.
May look difficult but it's good to learn..
(what the hell my english is really bad today  Confused , hope you still can understand it.. just home from a long and hard day at work... )

Ron-e
did you say "she", I never wait wait wait wait.

angeljs My apologies as I though you were another.. If you choose CentOS since I was a HUGE D!CK I will be helping you every step of the way until you get this right.

yohhhh Ron-e you made me feel so crap now </3, well I guess I deserve it since I was the one taking my frustration out on her.

That's what coding for 24hrs does to a person, frustration level 100% Sad

so I tried to PM you angeljs and I would assume I'm on your ignore list understandable, so here is the pm I was going to send

betatester3.0PM Wrote:Hey AngelJS,

I have to apologize, I was working the entire day and then I saw this post and I took my frustration out on you. I hope you can forgive me so that I can move on to helping you set up CentOS7 and I will help you understand Linux distributions a little bit better and give you an idea to what you will be needing to have successfully set up your home server.

Regards 
Beta

Thanks given by:
(09-13-2017, 01:40 AM)betatester3.0 Wrote: yohhhh @[Ron-e] you made me feel so crap now </3, well I guess I deserve it since I was the one taking my frustration out on her.

That's what coding for 24hrs does to a person, frustration level 100% Sad
no problems with me, and i know how long codings sessions can be! Tongue
My crappy advice: take some sleep and everything will be better.. lol

My Sentora DemoMy GithubAuxio Github
Zentora themeS-Type themeCstyleX theme
flat-color-iconssmall-n-flat-icons

Sentora's development takes way too long, so i'm transitioning to HestiaCP.
Thanks given by: betatester3.0
(09-09-2017, 11:14 PM)angeljs Wrote: First of all, thank you so much for this wonderful, free software!

This is my first time trying to run my own website on my own PC. I have a dynamic IP address, so use DynDNS's nameservers to connect to the website. That's another story, but I'm getting there, slowly!

The problem I'm having is that I can't send or receive eMails to my domain mailboxes and I'm not sure what to add in the MX records, either within Sentora or DynDNS. I've tried mail.mydomain.com, but nothing is received at all within the mailbox, but the address set up within the server config receives all eMails sent to the server.

Dear angeljs,
I have the same problems, I have wondered the reason why I cannot send emails from Sentora or Zpanel for a long time. Nowadays I have discovered it.

First of all, most ISP blocks 25 smtp port. So ask your ISP if they block 25 port.

Then, most e-mail providers do SPF check,DKIM check, PTR check. If you don't have them, your server is blacklisted. they don't accept your e-mails.

Third, PTR reverse dns requires  fixed IP. Your ISP provides it. If you have dynamic ip, you cannot have reverse dns.

Finally, if you pass all the requirements, you have to set your windows firewall and router firewall to allow hmailserver ports 25/110/587 etc.

I advise you not to lose time with mx settings. use your own e-mail such as hotmail, gmail smtp at Sentora Configuration page. Be sure that you have allowed  windows firewall and router firewall settings for hmailserver ports (for both outgoing and incoming settings)
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Default dns records Marco Annunziata 3 9 ,838 02-20-2016, 03:56 AM
Last Post: Me.B