This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Poll: Good idea or Bad idea?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Good
87.50%
7 87.50%
Bad
12.50%
1 12.50%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Module Development - Ideas for improvements
Module Development - Ideas for improvements
Hi Sentora / ZPanel community!

At the weekend a few members from Influential Software went along to the Joomla Ascot Con including myself. It was very interesting and would highly recommend going along to open source con's if you get the time.

While there I learnt of a project called FOF (Framework on Framework), which is basically additional code you can load into your modules to make development easier and takes care of the repetitive tasks inside Joomla module development.

I'm thinking of putting together a module to help enhance the Sentora module development experience, so this is basically a request from everyone in the module development arena to throw ideas at us Smile

My initial thoughts are:

1) One big controller which handles both the request and business logic of a module isn't great for medium to large modules, they become "fat controllers" and hard to maintain.

2) Same goes for the view file, too much going on and needs splitting down.

3) Form creations should be made easier and more standard, including abilities to apply pre-defined filters to for elements php side.

4) New modules should be testable via phpunit or another good testing framework

5) Extend the module's capabilities into mini MVC frameworks

This would be much easier to wait for version 2.0 which is planned to be written in Lavavel and would have all this out of the box, however I do feel we need something to help along module development for the current version too!

So if you have any feature request or ideas on the implementation please comment below and let us know Smile I'm hoping to sponsor development for this module via zVPS.uk funding and development resources. Also as the module will use parts of Sentora it by nature will inherent the GNU3 licence! So all code will be open source and available on github.

I'm hoping this will boost the amount of modules we see being developed by the community!
Thanks given by:
RE: Module Development - Ideas for improvements
Anything to make module creation a bit simpler is good to me.
-TGates - Project Council

SEARCH the Forums or read the DOCUMENTATION before posting!
Support Sentora and Donate: HERE

Find my support or modules useful? Donate to TGates HERE
Developers and code testers needed!
Contact TGates for more information
Thanks given by:
(10-07-2014, 09:41 AM)kandrews Wrote: This would be much easier to wait for version 2.0 which is planned to be written in Lavavel and would have all this out of the box, however I do feel we need something to help along module development for the current version too!

Wasn't bobby trying to change that so that modules can only be written by experienced dev's?
***Retail***
SCPH-39002, Running FCMB, HDD-OSD, Mini-OPL.
SCPH-30002 RSW (Automobile Collection Snow White)
SCPH-10000 x2
SCPH-15000
SCPH-18000 x2
DESR-7700
SCPH-2040X x2
Linux Kit
PSBBN V0.20, V0.30
HDD Utility V1.00, V1.01

***Dev***
DTL-H30102 Running FCMB, HDD-OSD, Mini-OPL.
DTL-H20400 - Boxed
Thanks given by:
Kevin,

Modules need to be sandboxed and splitted in 2 categories:

1. panel modules that extend core features and use hooks.

2. Apps that will be deployed for all users.

Each must have it's own space/ Way of being plugged.

Also modules should only use the frameworks and obey strick input filtering and ressources use in /modules.

Modules should not use zsudo.

I think priority is extending the core so we add more stable features like: domain aliases/ Auto DNS/ Selective backup ( weekly/daily ). Multi servers functions.

Before we think about extending more modules. Why we would need modules? if we have these? Adding ajax explorer? It's more over a external app that might be configured easily with a script rather than a module.

Then we might look to extend API & billing. WHMCS or other panel managers would love that.

Agree on phpunit very usefull for testing & improving our dev process.

M B
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
[Request] BoxBilling api module. cyber1995 4 11 ,862 10-23-2021, 05:29 AM
Last Post: sparkrack
Module Repo Beta Chris L 3 6 ,036 08-13-2021, 02:32 AM
Last Post: Chris L
Cloud module repo spoonman 0 2 ,156 02-28-2021, 01:34 AM
Last Post: spoonman