This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

How to setup and connect via FTP?
How to setup and connect via FTP?
Hi all.  I am having problems connecting to my account via a third party FTP application (WinSCP in this case).  Every time I try to do so, it fails.  Here is what I have tried, and the results:
  • When I try to connect on port 22, I encounter and 'Access Denied' error, and it asks for password.  But I am reasonably sure I am using the proper password.
  • When I change port to 8083, 'File protocol' automatically changes to WebDAV.  I'm not sure if this means I should connect over 'WebDAV' or FTP/SFTP.
  • If I connect over FTP through port 8083, it tries to connect, but eventually times out with the error:
Timeout detected. (control connection)
Connection failed.

• If I connect over SFTP through port 8083, it tries to connect, but fails immediately with the error:
Server unexpectedly closed network connection.

More Info
  • I have already created an FTP user in Sentora.
  • I am using port 8083 because my Sentora tidessamui.com:8083.  But perhaps I am misunderstanding something about the port I need to use.
  • I looked through the post Community Guides & How-To's v1.0.x but couldn't see any FTP setup guide.  I then found a Youtube video (youtube-->watch?v=WNlsR-R1fZo), but my results did not match the results in the video.
I have plenty of experience with cpanel, but this is my first time using Sentora.  I am excited to finally get a chance to use something I've heard a lot about.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks given by:
RE: How to setup and connect via FTP?
The default port for FTP is port 21, try that...

My Sentora DemoMy GithubAuxio Github
Zentora themeS-Type themeCstyleX theme
flat-color-iconssmall-n-flat-icons

Sentora's development takes way too long, so i'm transitioning to HestiaCP.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for that. I gave it a shot though, but still can't connect. When I try via FTP, I encounter the same 'Access Denied' error. When I try via SFTP, it times out.

Doesn't the :8083 appended to my domain name indicate that I need to connect over port 8083? Or does that not apply in this case?
Thanks given by:
That is only for apache, not ftp. Also, you can't use SFTP if you do not have it setup properly, only FTP.
-TGates - Project Council

SEARCH the Forums or read the DOCUMENTATION before posting!
Support Sentora and Donate: HERE

Find my support or modules useful? Donate to TGates HERE
Developers and code testers needed!
Contact TGates for more information
Thanks given by:
@TGates, thanks for the reply.  But I have some follow-up questions:
>> That is only for apache, not ftp.
What exactly are you referring to here?  The 8083-as-port-number trait that I mentioned?
>> Also, you can't use SFTP if you do not have it setup properly, only FTP.
OK gotcha.  So how do I setup FTP on my third party client to connect to my server?  I just tried to connect using FTP and port 22, but encountered an immediate error:

"No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
Connection failed."

Thoughts?

edit:  OK I have resolved this issue.  It was...user error :-) I was using the wrong username.  Once I specified the correct username, I was able to connect over FTP and port 21.
Thanks given by:
Ok, glad you got it sorted out!
-TGates - Project Council

SEARCH the Forums or read the DOCUMENTATION before posting!
Support Sentora and Donate: HERE

Find my support or modules useful? Donate to TGates HERE
Developers and code testers needed!
Contact TGates for more information
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
unable to connect to vps ip using ftp xRyu99 5 16 ,602 08-27-2019, 03:41 PM
Last Post: maxmilan
can't connect to ftp.. lonewolf91 3 12 ,440 12-13-2017, 05:32 PM
Last Post: varun.naharia
COULD NOT CONNECT TO SERVER ipanjan 8 20 ,693 12-13-2017, 05:30 PM