This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

unexpected vhost/ssl behavior
unexpected vhost/ssl behavior
Here is my example. I assumed some humans might be fallible, so I had registered some URL's similar to the following.

politics4real.com
politicsforeal.com
politicsforreal.com

Note the second one is mispelled, it is missing one of its "R's".

Strangely enough when I set up my vhosts override for SSL, the first above works fine, and I can pick one of the two below it and things work as expected, but if I try and add the last one in, it breaks the entire server - no sites can resolve anything. It acts as if there is some sort of wildcard that get's messed up when all three are set up - not to mention it breaks all of the other ordinary domains in Sentora when I save the vhost. Any ideas? Here is the type of override I am using:

Code:
SSLEngine on
SSLProtocol ALL -SSLv2 -SSLv3
SSLHonorCipherOrder On
SSLCipherSuite ECDH+AESGCM:DH+AESGCM:ECDH+AES256:DH+AES256:ECDH+AES128:DH+AES:ECDH+3DES:DH+3DES:RSA+AESGCM:RSA+AES:RSA+3DES:!aNULL:!MD5:!DSS
SSLCertificateFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/politicsforreal.com/cert.pem
SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/politicsforreal.com/privkey.pem
SSLCertificateChainFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/politicsforreal.com/chain.pem
# Keeping bellow for future upgrades.
# Requires Apache >= 2.4
# SSLCompression off

And yes, I am running the daemon and restarting Apache after I set up each domain, including the others. Any help would be much appreciated, as it is sort of confusing why this is happening.
Everyone makes mistakes, but to truly screw up it takes the root password!
Thanks given by:
RE: unexpected vhost/ssl behavior
Hey buddy!
I would just do a 301 permanent redirect from the extra domains to the correct https://domain (No SSL on the extra domains since they redirect to the proper SSL'd domain)

Or, am I missing something in your question?
-TGates - Project Council

SEARCH the Forums or read the DOCUMENTATION before posting!
Support Sentora and Donate: HERE

Find my support or modules useful? Donate to TGates HERE
Developers and code testers needed!
Contact TGates for more information
Thanks given by: worksmarter
(03-10-2017, 02:28 AM)TGates Wrote: Hey buddy!
I would just do a 301 permanent redirect from the extra domains to the correct https://domain (No SSL on the extra domains since they redirect to the proper SSL'd domain)

Or, am I missing something in your question?

301 at the DNS servers, or in an .htaccess file? I had trouble getting .htaccess files to work right, just like not being able to remove the index.php in nextcloud - I am still working that issue...

No worries I did it in DNS, but that is an odd problem - like Apache is trying to get smart with misspellings! lol
Thanks given by:
In the httpd-vhosts.conf file using custom vhost entries.
I think the custom vhost way is quicker and a more direct approach for redirect vs .htaccess where it goes to that domains's folder, reads the .htaccess, then redirects to where you want it. (Basically it needs to load an extra site before redirecting.)

Thanks given by: worksmarter
I am thinking I cut out even more of the middleman by making the 301 redirect as DNS entries. It will get the proper address before even trying to access my server, no?
Thanks given by:
Yes, I believe that would be even faster! I haven't played around with it that way, yet lol

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
sentora creates vhost but it displays the apache start page timce2000 4 9 ,607 06-17-2018, 11:31 AM
Last Post: TGates
Strange vhost issue graveyardboogie 11 19 ,887 05-10-2018, 01:43 AM
Last Post: TGates
Make a change in httpd-vhost.conf whitewolf101 2 6 ,774 11-20-2017, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Me.B