This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

ipv6 DNS records
ipv6 DNS records
I am trying to make my server available via IPv6 as well as ipv4. It has a external routable working ipv6 address, but I'm running into trouble with DNS records - both the A and AAAA records should have the same name, but the control panel won't accept that.

(note this applies to it's sister server running zpanel 10.1.1 too)

If i have a ipv6 AAAA record, it needs to have the same name as the equivalent ipv6 A record. However, sentora/zpanel will not allow two DNS names the same name but different types on one domain, despite this being not only perfectly valid, but also the usual way to setup ipv6.

I have reported this here:
https://github.com/sentora/sentora-core/issues/49
But i'm not sure if this is the best way to get this fixed.
Thanks given by:
RE: ipv6 DNS records
Thinking about it, duplicate a or aaaa records are also valid. There should also be a setting for how the round-robin/cyclic load balancing works in this way.

So maybe bin the duplicate record detection section entirely, then add a new drop down for load balance policy (or set to a standard cyclic for all dns zones)
Thanks given by:
Could you get this logged as a bug over on github.com please?

Edit: Sorry i skim read! Thanks for reporting we'll have a look into this.
Thanks given by:
(09-18-2014, 06:57 PM)kandrews Wrote: Could you get this logged as a bug over on github.com please?

Further to this I have found four more problems ( not sure if these are bugs in the development snapshot, as this is a new (a few days old) install of 1.0.0 )

1) bind doesn't listen on ipv6 by default (before bind 9.1) - needs a change in bind config...
Insert after line 13:
listen-on-v6 { any; };

2) The documentation hint on the AAAA DNS manager page has an ipv6 address not in the documentation range.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3849
The gist of the above reference is that all documentation example ipv6 address should be within range:  2001:DB8::/32
2001:DB8::1 is valid, though maybe a more varied one might be better with more segments filled in.

3)
The save button is greyed out unless there are changes to save in the dns control panel. However, deleting (well, marking for deletion) a DNS record does not ungrey the save button. Adding then removing a character from the end of a record is a way to enable it. The "Save Changes" at the top ungreys correctly, but not the blue "save" at the bottom.

4)
The validation on saving internal IP addresses as A records fails using the flag FILTER_FLAG_NO_PRIV_RANGE - personally, I use DNS records for internal links, so I have disabled this. I'm not sure if this is a feature I'd want disabled for all. Mostly internal A and AAAA records are not going to be intentional, but it is legal and useful for some users.
Line 1129 on /etc/zpanel/panel/modules/dns_manager/code/controller.ext.php for the relevant flag on the check.

also note that commenting out the action of caring about unique DNS records (line 967 and 968 of /etc/zpanel/panel/dns_manager/code/controller.ext.php) appears to have no ill effects as yet.
No errors, zone generates fine, and responses are correctly randomised between the available responses. I have not tried potentially problematic combinations such as CNAME the same as A.
Thanks given by:
I have the same problem, i cant add ipv6 NS record because it says it has to be unique ( i had already a ns1 record)
But this is the only way i know and by other panels this was never a problem, or did i miss something ?
Thanks given by:
Solutions?
Thanks given by:
If you use cloudflare if you would offer ipv4-ipv6 DNS translation and proxy out of the box.

Currently no support.

M B
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by:
Would have to check the code and remove the duplicate entry check also checking what the new vhosts record looks like. (To see if correct and working.)
-TGates - Project Council

SEARCH the Forums or read the DOCUMENTATION before posting!
Support Sentora and Donate: HERE

Find my support or modules useful? Donate to TGates HERE
Developers and code testers needed!
Contact TGates for more information
Thanks given by:
One year later..
Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
How do i disabled IPv6 Exile 7 13 ,620 05-17-2017, 01:54 PM
Last Post: TGates
Sentora and 1and1: trouble with DNS MX records Broken5entora 2 6 ,531 03-12-2017, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Broken5entora
default domain records txt3rob 2 6 ,884 06-25-2015, 01:46 AM
Last Post: txt3rob