This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Large Temp folder
Large Temp folder
I noticed my HD was almost full and started looking into why. I cleared some cache files from Plex Media Server and it helped but was not the main issue. I have found a large temp folder under /var/sentora/temp that is taking 90G of space. I have searched and cannot find why this file is so large and what it is for. I don't have room for additional drives and don't have money to buy larger drives for the OS.

Any help would be appreciated. 

output of df -h 
Code:
df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            7.9G  4.0K  7.9G   1% /dev
tmpfs           1.6G  1.2M  1.6G   1% /run
/dev/dm-0       114G  102G  6.4G  95% /
none            4.0K     0  4.0K   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
none            5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
none            7.9G  4.0K  7.9G   1% /run/shm
none            100M     0  100M   0% /run/user
/dev/sda1       236M   72M  152M  32% /boot
/dev/sdb1       5.5T  2.3T  3.2T  43% /media/raid5
 Notice that /dev/dm-0 mounted on / is 95% full 

Output of sudo du -sh /var/sentora/*
Code:
sudo du -sh /var/sentora/*
12K    /var/sentora/backups
255M    /var/sentora/hostdata
153M    /var/sentora/logs
5.4M    /var/sentora/sessions
8.0K    /var/sentora/sieve
90G    /var/sentora/temp
1.7M    /var/sentora/vmail

Output of sudo du -sh /var/sentora/temp/*
Code:
sudo du -sh /var/sentora/temp/*
1.8M    /var/sentora/temp/owncloud-ocuc60culd9u
13G    /var/sentora/temp/php7ddpAU
12G    /var/sentora/temp/php9Jgv7e
11G    /var/sentora/temp/phpKEORKt
6.3G    /var/sentora/temp/phpKpYhpM
12G    /var/sentora/temp/phpMMw64V
12G    /var/sentora/temp/phpUvLBIE
11G    /var/sentora/temp/phpW1ni5Q
11G    /var/sentora/temp/phpWuATcZ
6.4G    /var/sentora/temp/phpXc3YpH
4.0K    /var/sentora/temp/update-cache-6ba82731
4.0K    /var/sentora/temp/update-extraction-6ba82731
Thanks given by:
RE: Large Temp folder
Hi,

I think it's related to plex media server. are you watching high quality video's?

/temp is used for caching by some apps, uploading files and all "temporary files" operations.
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by:
Yes most of the media is HD and the files are pretty large. I cleared a few things on Plex which helped but isn't an issue anymore. The temp files are inside the Plex directories and shouldn't be storing data elsewhere. I am concerned specifically with the folder /var/sentora/temp  which is a total of 90GB.
Thanks given by:
I'm not sure over plex behaviour. You should check with them. For me I'm almost sure it's tightly related regarding file size. May re-encoding files. You can restart server and clear temp files but once you use plex it would sky-rocket again.

see here if you google a bit:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/35469/...saved-data

IT's not new nor a sentora issue.

M B
How to ask

Thanks given by:
Thanks for the suggestions. Here is what I have found:
The reason my temp folder was growing was due to old temp files related to my owncloud server that were not being deleted after they were no longer needed. I checked the last modified date of each file and anything that was more than 10 days old I manually deleted. After a reboot everything was running normally. A few days later I noticed in my log files for owncloud I was getting an error "Temporary directory not present or writeable". I must have accidently removed the temp folder all together and owncloud was not recreating it. So I created a new temp folder to see if sentora/owncloud would see it again and checked the owncloud log files to see if the error went away. It didn't so I changed the ownership of the directory "/var/sentora/temp" to www-data (apache user?) and the error went away. I read on owncloud forums that the owner of the temp folder was PHP-FPM but because I have Sentora installed I assumed it would require the apache user to own the temp folder which I believe is www-data. 

Can someone confirm the default owner of the temp folder for sentora? "/var/sentora/temp"
Thanks given by:
Yep apache should be the owner.

M B
How to ask

Thanks given by: zrowley

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wordpress "Temp Folder Missing" Issue NickNeverSleeps 5 12 ,418 12-13-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: ngeluis@gmail.com
move phpmyadmin folder CMs222 2 7 ,168 02-27-2018, 01:58 AM
Last Post: CMs222
Change client's data folder problem dimnas 1 5 ,271 02-14-2018, 03:49 AM
Last Post: TGates