This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

How to Upgrade to Mysql 5.6.0+ safely?
How to Upgrade to Mysql 5.6.0+ safely?
Hi fellow Sentora users, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm not all that comfortable with messing around with my perfectly working system, but I have a software (Magento) that wants Mysql 5.6.0 to install on my server.

I have Sentora running on my server and things are working fine for now. I believe I'm on version 1.0 (however, I have no idea how to tell, can someone tell me where this is listed in the control panel?) I see the notice to upgrade to 1.0.3, but I can't see a running version number listed anywhere.

Currently, Mysql is version 5.5.41-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.

So my question is, how can I upgrade this safely without breaking Sentora. Can I just run the Ubuntu apt-get command to upgrade mysql to the latest version or will this break Sentora and how it manages my server. Is there a way to upgrade Mysql within the Sentora control panel itself?

Thanks!
Thanks given by:
RE: How to Upgrade to Mysql 5.6.0+ safely?
Why do you need this upgrade first?

M B
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2016, 06:48 AM)Me.B Wrote: Why do you need this upgrade first?

M B

He said so. Smile Magneto seems to require  5.6
[Image: logo2.png]

My being on this forum is all personal and all is done here by me has nothing to with the company Web Improved I work for Smile
Thanks given by:
I see magento added indexing text tuning:

https://github.com/magento/magento2/issues/1244

Solr could do better any way.

Currently we rely on OS packages. Only solution would be to use remi ( for centos) or compile MySQL at your own risk.

M B
How to ask

Thanks given by:
Yes, I mentioned the reason within the first 2 sentences of my post. I don't know what Solr has to do with this, I'm just looking to install Magento 2.0 which requires Mysql 5.6+.

So my question is just how Sentora manages the server. If we upgrade the software running on the server which is part of LAMP, will this break Sentora? Does Sentora have a feature to upgrade things so that you don't break it?

Well, anyway, I went ahead and created a new instance on digitalocean using a backup of my server. Then I ran the following commands:

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install mysql-server-5.6

This appeared to work just fine and mysql was upgraded to mysql 5.6.

I can confirm I can still log into the sentora control panel, I can create a database, create a user and assign to the database, and the websites still load fine. So does this mean all is well?

Is there a way that I can test the integrity of the Sentora install to ensure that I didn't break anything?

Thanks
Thanks given by:
Yep it should work as sentora mainly won't use extended function in MySQL or tied to 5.5.

If you are able to create users/ accounts that would mean everything ok.

M B
How to ask

Thanks given by:
Thanks! Yep, new user and database creation appear to be fine. Looks like everything is still working after upgrade to 5.6. Thanks!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
MySQL Database user prefix MosleyCale 1 4 ,866 10-17-2020, 09:11 PM
Last Post: Ron-e
Senator crash problem with mysql provokas 3 9 ,569 08-20-2020, 04:11 AM
Last Post: Your Creator
MySQL remote access... pixelbat 11 37 ,827 05-02-2020, 07:40 PM
Last Post: upendra.sahu1990@gmail.com