This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Ubuntu :How to setup Spamassassin
RE: Ubuntu :How to setup Spamassassin
I am getting this error, Failed to start spamassassin.service: Unit spamassassin.service is masked.
how can i fix that.
Thanks given by:
(10-30-2015, 12:41 AM)SimpuMind Wrote: I am getting this error, Failed to start spamassassin.service: Unit spamassassin.service is masked.
how can i fix that.
Your profile says you are using ZPanel. Please be sure to post in the ZPanel forum section: http://forums.sentora.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=52
-TGates - Project Council

SEARCH the Forums or read the DOCUMENTATION before posting!
Support Sentora and Donate: HERE

Find my support or modules useful? Donate to TGates HERE
Developers and code testers needed!
Contact TGates for more information
Thanks given by:
There is a module available for Spamassassin in Sentora? Or another module for mail filtering?
It would be great if we could access and configure spam filter directly from Sentora.
Thanks given by:
Mar 30 09:25:43 larlee spamc[24142]: exec failed: No such file or directory
I followed the instructions exactly for setting up spamassassin on my Ubuntu 14.04 server. Now I keep getting this message is my mail.err log file:
Mar 30 09:25:43 larlee spamc[24142]: exec failed: No such file or directory

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks given by:
Great tutorial Diablo925! Thanks for putting in the time to create this for everyone.

I have confirmed it works on the latest Sentora 1.0.3 on Ubuntu 14.04. The only change I made was I went with a required_score of 5 instead of changing to 3. Several guides online recommended to stick with the score of 5. But of course it's all up to you.
Thanks given by:
So I wanted to mention something and hoping someone knows the answer. So I have nothing coming up in my /var/log/spamassassin/ folder. I wanted to look in here to see if I could monitor what emails were being flagged by spamassassin. I noticed there was no files here. So I thought, that's strange. And I tried doing echo $SAHOME. Which resulted in nothing. So I figure, that's why nothing's being logged. My system doesn't know what SAHOME is. Which makes sense, because I rebooted my server.

I should have thought of this earlier. So why are we configuring SAHOME as a variable and then referencing it in the Spamassassin config file (/etc/default/spamassassin). This won't work right? Variables are reset everytime your server is rebooted.

So rather than this line:
OPTIONS="--create-prefs --max-children 2 --username spamd \ -H ${SAHOME} -s ${SAHOME}spamd.log"

why don't we use this line:
OPTIONS="--create-prefs --max-children 2 --username spamd \ -H /var/log/spamassassin/ -s /var/log/spamassassin/spamd.log"

I made this change and restarted Spamassassin and Postfix and I immediately saw this spamd.log file get created and populated with info.

So I think I fixed it and did what was supposed to be done, but I'm surprised nobody else has called this out until now. Can someone more confident and experienced with this stuff, please comment and confirm.

And while we are at it...I would like to know where things are logged when Spamassassin does identify mail as spam. I know it will tag my email with ***SPAM*** in the subject line, but I'm curious does an entry get made somewhere on my server that I can review to check operation is working as expected?

Thanks!
Thanks given by:
(05-02-2016, 09:24 PM)americanninja Wrote: So I wanted to mention something and hoping someone knows the answer. So I have nothing coming up in my /var/log/spamassassin/ folder. I wanted to look in here to see if I could monitor what emails were being flagged by spamassassin. I noticed there was no files here. So I thought, that's strange. And I tried doing echo $SAHOME. Which resulted in nothing. So I figure, that's why nothing's being logged. My system doesn't know what SAHOME is. Which makes sense, because I rebooted my server.

I should have thought of this earlier. So why are we configuring SAHOME as a variable and then referencing it in the Spamassassin config file (/etc/default/spamassassin). This won't work right? Variables are reset everytime your server is rebooted.

So rather than this line:
OPTIONS="--create-prefs --max-children 2 --username spamd \ -H ${SAHOME} -s ${SAHOME}spamd.log"

why don't we use this line:
OPTIONS="--create-prefs --max-children 2 --username spamd \ -H /var/log/spamassassin/ -s /var/log/spamassassin/spamd.log"

I made this change and restarted Spamassassin and Postfix and I immediately saw this spamd.log file get created and populated with info.

So I think I fixed it and did what was supposed to be done, but I'm surprised nobody else has called this out until now. Can someone more confident and experienced with this stuff, please comment and confirm.

And while we are at it...I would like to know where things are logged when Spamassassin does identify mail as spam. I know it will tag my email with ***SPAM*** in the subject line, but I'm curious does an entry get made somewhere on my server that I can review to check operation is working as expected?

Thanks!

Also, if you get this setup, you will probably also want to setup a logrotate rule to prevent these files from getting too big on your server. Create a file in /etc/logrotate.d/ called something Sentora-spamassassin

And paste this in the file:

Code:
/var/log/spamassassin/spamd.log {
       su root root
       weekly
       size 100M
       missingok
       rotate 5
       compress
       delaycompress
       notifempty
       create 664 root root
       sharedscripts
postrotate
        /etc/init.d/spamassassin restart
endscript
}
Thanks given by:
Perfect! Thanks very much!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 from 14.04 HogensHero 8 27 ,049 07-18-2020, 03:13 AM
Last Post: dycott78
Ubuntu: How to Enable tls/ssl in proftpd Diablo925 2 11 ,675 04-21-2020, 03:35 AM
Last Post: iraqiboy90
Ubuntu 18.04 or 20.04 Kangarooo 1 6 ,057 03-20-2020, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Jettaman