This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

guess on which note i have a VPS...
RE: guess on which note i have a VPS...
Unbelievable....
-TGates - Project Council

SEARCH the Forums or read theĀ DOCUMENTATION before posting!
Support Sentora and Donate: HERE

Find my support or modules useful? Donate to TGates HERE
Developers and code testers needed!
Contact TGates for more information
Thanks given by:
To be honest, this seems extremely smelly.

First, the provider should had backups, I mean, they just should, there is no excuse.

Even if the police (using the term police seems extremely unprofessional, but let's not dig that way) would confiscate the HDD (it's not impossible) they could always restore a backup for the other clients, as far as we know they point that the reason they were not notified was to avoid data to be erased "due to a fact that the data there could be erased" this makes sense.
However this does not explain why they did not had the backups, the police would never take the backup HDDs (unless there were really sensitive information, even than they do not have the right to delete other users data), they want the data to serve as evidence not to avoid you having it.

anyways, good luck Ron Smile
My Sentora Resources
[Module] Mail Quota Count | Vagrant Box with Sentora

[Image: vanguardly-logo-micro.png]
Graphic and Web Design. Development.
www.vanguardly.com

Thanks given by:
Oh dear... Ron-e i hope you had a backup!

I agree with apinto, the provider should have been maintaining some sort of backup.. All providers will have the statement that their backups cannot and should not be relied on, however they should have a backup procedure!!

Even on zVPS we maintain 1 backup of every server on a weekly basis (which has saved a few of our customers bacon).

I'm placing bets they hadn't correctly setup RAID and one of their disks failed... Police entering a DC and taking HDDs... very unlikely...
Thanks given by:
Police spending all thier time opening servers up and taking the hard drives? doubt that why would they do that when they just take the full server?!?!?! :S

So strange, and it makes me smell a rat Smile
Thanks given by: