This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

ssh support
RE: ssh support
(05-29-2015, 06:32 AM)joubertredrat Wrote:
(05-28-2015, 01:42 AM)TGates Wrote: I have no idea how you think this would work with Sentora. The current server permissions do not allow for this. How would you manager to lock each person down to their own folders? Each SSH user would need their own account on the server. @[Me.B] can shed some more light on this topic.

Because this I saw ssh chroot jail, not pure ssh.

With chrooted jail is possible to create minimal and isolated environment.

http://www.sdri.co.jp/rssh/CHROOT_en.html 

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/secur...nv.en.html
http://allanfeid.com/content/creating-ch...ssh-access

I will see if I have time to develop a small alpha to show this working on sentora.

IF the main goal is finally providing secure FTP then again using proftpd + TLS is the right choice.

Over pure SSH and giving access to ssh commands, this not even about a simple module, this require a HUGE overhall of permissions at server wide and I explained before even cpanel you could have issues. If users love SSH >> VPS! That's what industry is offering now rather than shared hosting.

M B
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by:
i Think the main goal of having ssh access to hosting is possibility to easy manage folders, copy files, pack and unpack files from archives... and such a things. I cant imagine how without access to shell or good file manager i have to transfer via ftp large website with thousands of small files.

I just had such a work last 2 weekends. Transfer between two hosting providers ~30 wordpress websites.
thanks to ssh i could login, tar all to one file and transfer at full speed directly between hosting servers.
Without ssh this would take ages
Thanks given by:
The security benefit VS convinience is weighing more to security currently.

We can't even think about adding SSH support before 1.1 release that would see use of separate user accounts/permissions and that require already a lot of work.

M B
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Ubuntu 12.04 end of support Me.B 2 7 ,470 04-19-2017, 05:09 AM
Last Post: Me.B
SSL support in sentora Me.B 9 25 ,918 09-16-2016, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Nigel
Nginx support Me.B 17 46 ,166 02-25-2016, 01:34 AM
Last Post: apinto