This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Help...MYSQL crashing once per day
Help...MYSQL crashing once per day
So I have had Sentora running on a new server I created through digitalOcean for about 2 months now. I recently moved from shared web hosting on GoDaddy using cpanel.

All was working well up until recently. Basically, it seems about every 1-2 days mysql crashes on my server. I will notice it when I try to open one of my websites and I will see the Drupal server connection error page. This is very bad obviously, as I don't notice the site being down until I check it, which means it can be done for several hours with me knowing (any idea how to get notified of when the mysql server is down? Maybe some cron job I can run to run a .sh script to check if Mysql is actively running?)

A simply service mysql restart command fixes the situation. So basically I know that my issue is mysql is crashing.

root@panel:~# service mysql restart
stop: Unknown instance:
mysql start/running, process 10715
root@panel:~#

I am hoping someone here can help me figure out why mysql is crashing and how I can prevent it. My guess is it's a memory error, such as the server is running out of available memory. But why is that crashing Mysql, shouldn't the site just become less responsive? I don't understand why it's bringing the service down. Is this normal?

Thank you for any help you can all provide?
Thanks given by:
RE: Help...MYSQL crashing once per day
Check ressource use and monitor server internal CPU/RAM.

Add more ram as drupal can be heavy and a lot of ressources under spikes.

Kind of instance you use? Don't forget under shared you might have less ressources but you were allowed to use more in spikes.

M B
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by:
here is what htop looks like

CPU[||||||||||||||||| 23.7%] Tasks: 48, 29 thr; 2 running
Mem[||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||623/994MB] Load average: 0.11 0.18 0.22
Swp[ 0/0MB] Uptime: 1 day, 22:10:39

Looks fine right? CPU usage uses sits around 1% and then spikes for a second or less. Memory seems to just sit around 600 MB constantly (I have 5 drupal sites and 1 wordpress site on this server). All sites except one get less than 100 unique views a month. They are just info sites with no traffic.

So why would mysql be crashing around once every few days?

Where can I find in the logs why mysql is crashing? Is there a log file I can check and search for some keyword to find why and when the crash happened? Is there a way to auto alert me from the server when mysql goes down...this would be very helpful for me to monitor things...anyone have a link to a tutorial on how to do this?
Thanks given by:
Does Sentora have such a feature? It seems this is common with cpanel. I would think this would be something we should have as part of core Sentora...

Such a feature already exists within cPanel * WHM.

Documentation: Service Manager

Simply go to: WHM -> Service Manager

Then, make sure both "Enabled" and "Monitor" are checked for "mysql". This will instruct cPanel's chkservd mechanism (which runs onc per 5 minutes) to check on the status of MySQL and restart as necessary. If a restart is necessary, it will also email you about it if you have your email contact setup in WHM for the server.

However, if MySQL is crashing/unavailable that often that you're specifically asking for an auto-restart script, I would be more inclined to suggest you identify the cause of the outages. Applying a bandaid fix by auto-restarting MySQL is fine for the short-term, but you'll want to find out why MySQL is crashing in the first place so that you can prevent that from happening.

What does the MySQL log say during the time of the crash?

Feel free to open a ticket (see my signature for links) if you'd like assistance in attempting to identify the cause of MySQL crashing on your server.
Thanks given by:
You can currently (with Sentora) see the resource usage on your server by going to phpSysInfo that can be found under the "Admin" menu.

I agree that a module showing the resources under usage (liek the cPanel sidebar) would be cool.
My Sentora Resources
[Module] Mail Quota Count | Vagrant Box with Sentora

[Image: vanguardly-logo-micro.png]
Graphic and Web Design. Development.
www.vanguardly.com

Thanks given by:
And, by the way, checking your CPU usage of 20%... is that regular? always under 20% load with a Default Sentora Setup?
Because I use a single core 2.6ghz CPU with OpenVZ and the load sits under 5% (most of the time I risk to say under 2%).
My Sentora Resources

www.vanguardly.com

Thanks given by:
RAM use is main source of such crashes and you are not far from your limits as I guess this is a micro 512 MB ram? Or 1024? That's low .

You should log also slow queries and try to watch MySQL/MariaDB live using MySQL workbench.

Monitoring will only show you if service is running or not and never the internal state inside the service like MySQL Workbench.

M B
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by:
I do use Uptime Robot to be alerted (works by default via email and lots of other ways if you want to dig).
https://uptimerobot.com
But like Me.B said, you should detect and fix the issue and not just monitor it to restart the server.

Also, check this: http://www.webtrafficexchange.com/solved...uffer-pool as it is the most common cause of MySQL crash.
My Sentora Resources

www.vanguardly.com

Thanks given by: americanninja
uptime robot can only detect service down... You can with some bash/cron do better and kick the service back.

But again most important remain finding the origin of the crash and most cases I faced it was ram.

M B
Thanks given by: apinto
This one may not help you, but good to keep in mind:
Another thing to check is HDD storage space. The logs and backups can suck up space quickly. Check them just in case Wink
Also, 'truncate' once a week/month the x_logs database table. This table gets large very fast.
(Looking into a patch to drop oldest entry when new one is created keeping x number of entries.)
-TGates - Project Council

SEARCH the Forums or read the DOCUMENTATION before posting!
Support Sentora and Donate: HERE

Find my support or modules useful? Donate to TGates HERE
Developers and code testers needed!
Contact TGates for more information
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
MySQL Database user prefix MosleyCale 1 4 ,868 10-17-2020, 09:11 PM
Last Post: Ron-e
Senator crash problem with mysql provokas 3 9 ,569 08-20-2020, 04:11 AM
Last Post: Your Creator
MySQL remote access... pixelbat 11 37 ,841 05-02-2020, 07:40 PM