This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Putting main website and mail on seperate servers using single domain
Putting main website and mail on seperate servers using single domain
My help has just been sought on a project. My organisation just its website redeveloped and hosted by a company using asp.net technology and windows server. We've lost our email services and the developer is now charging an extra 1500 US dollars to provide the email service. so we are looking for a way out.
is it possible for the main website to be on say mydomain.com to be on a windows server with ip say w.x.y.z and then the the mail server will be on say mail.mydomain.com on Ubuntu server on with ip a.b.c.d?
How can i go about making the email fully functional on the linux system using sentora without having to move the dns into sentora? That is everything points to the windows server except records required to make the email work on the linux box.

Hope i am coherent enough. once again, we have a running website on windows server but just need to email server on linux on a subdomain on the domain.
Thanks given by:
RE: Putting main website and mail on seperate servers using single domain
What you ask for is perfectly possible, however it might not be as easy as you would like to make it.
It will need a bit of tweaking and custom scripts.
My Sentora Resources
[Module] Mail Quota Count | Vagrant Box with Sentora

[Image: vanguardly-logo-micro.png]
Graphic and Web Design. Development.
www.vanguardly.com

Thanks given by:
@Apinto,
Any hints or info that might point me in the right direction? Since the VPS doesn't contain production stuff yet, were ready to try and see where it goes.
Thanks given by:
I'm probably not the best guy to help you as I've never done it.
However you will need for sure a few steps:
- Point your nameservers to Sentora (or any other DNS service oyu are using).
- On the DNS setup, add the subdomain as a A Record and insert the Linux IP (this will be the mail server, right?)
- Set the MX Records for the main domain to use the Linux Server.

Now the part that I'm not sure, but I would do this:
- Install Sentora normally on the Linux server.
- Find a way to replicate the accounts:
--- One way to do this would be using MySQL Replication (https://www.digitalocean.com/community/t...n-in-mysql)
--- Probably you will need to call the Sentora Daemon using some kind of hook (take care for security here as if you implement this insecurely you can give access to your server); make the Windows Server tell the Linux server Daemon to do the same action, this way you would have the same email accounts on Linux and Windows (so users can add and remove email accounts on windows and they will be updated on the real mail server).

Please keep in mind this is just theory, was not tested and needs developing custom code.

Hope this helped you Smile
My Sentora Resources

www.vanguardly.com

Thanks given by:
It really looks complicated for me. lol
Thanks given by:
(04-26-2015, 07:15 PM)arbayong Wrote: It really looks complicated for me. lol

If I understand correctly, you can do it in a simple way:

your requirements:
main website -> window server (existing)
mail -> handled by a mail server on linux (not existed now and you want to build it on sentora)
Domain Name Server (existing somewhere)

To achieve the above, you need the following:
1) create a linux instance
2) install sentora on it
3) setup all the necessary protection (virus scan, spam control, SSL, authentication, reverse IP, etc)
4) create a virtual domain on sentora for your company and setup the email accounts 
5) once the above 4 are done, change your domain name server MX records to point to this mail server

Good luck,

Andy
Thanks given by:
andy that would work...
The thing is he wants to keep accounts synced, like when you create one account in the windows server it gets created in Linux, this is the hard part.
My Sentora Resources

www.vanguardly.com

Thanks given by:
i see. not sure if that really the right way especially they are on two different OSs
Thanks given by:
Its not right. But its possible. And doable.
My Sentora Resources

www.vanguardly.com

Thanks given by:
(04-28-2015, 10:43 AM)andy Wrote:
(04-26-2015, 07:15 PM)arbayong Wrote: It really looks complicated for me. lol

If I understand correctly, you can do it in a simple way:

your requirements:
main website -> window server (existing)
mail -> handled by a mail server on linux (not existed now and you want to build it on sentora)
Domain Name Server (existing somewhere)

To achieve the above, you need the following:
1) create a linux instance
2) install sentora on it
3) setup all the necessary protection (virus scan, spam control, SSL, authentication, reverse IP, etc)
4) create a virtual domain on sentora for your company and setup the email accounts 
5) once the above 4 are done, change your domain name server MX records to point to this mail server

Good luck,

Andy
Actually, Andy got me right.
I had a keyboard issue on my laptop so couldn't come here.
I am confused at point 4. create a virtual domain .... is that the same as creating my company's domain name from the domain menu or there is a special way to go about it? I haven't been able to find the meaning of virtual domain anywhere.
Also, it thought sentora automatically takes care of spam control and virus scans etc. or i am mistaken here. I just moved from vestacp and i have to admit sentora seems overly complicated to me at this moment
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Split Website log files. spoonman 1 3 ,222 01-01-2022, 10:00 AM
Last Post: TGates
Public_html Inside Domain/Subdomain zHostingSolutions 2 4 ,026 07-23-2021, 09:57 AM
Last Post: Nigel
Get TLS/SSL for Sentora Mail EGOSKY123 5 11 ,970 07-25-2020, 04:03 PM
Last Post: 5050