This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Unable to receive emails
RE: Unable to receive emails
(09-04-2018, 08:51 AM)ORiOn Wrote: I think my main problem is with rDNS, I get this error on mail-tester.com
[Image: vnxMWgr.jpg]

And on ssl-tools.net:
[Image: QuiXwHP.png]

I have no idea what to do...

There are lots of reasons why emails you send would be seen as spam, but I agree with wormsunited above, you must have reverse DNS (PTR records) set up for your sending IP address, and the PTR record must match the hostname your server gives out upon SMTP connection (the HELO) otherwise a lot of receiving email providers will see any mail you send out, see a dynamic-looking IP address and not even attempt to deliver it.

You should also get SSL/TLS sorted out as you stand a better chance of the receiving server accepting you mails if your own sending server sends the mails securely.

There's loads of info online about how to configure Postfix for using secure ports etc., and installing certificates from the likes of Let's Encrypt, but if you're coming from having "no idea what to do" then you'll need to be up for a challenge to get through it... Smile

Keith
Thanks given by:
Oh believe me, I'm always up for a challenge, otherwise I would of already given up! haha

If I'm not mistaken, I already have a reverse dns for the IP set up. 125.ip-**-**-20.eu

The thing is, I'm pretty sure my records are all messed up and not correct, it may be stupid, but it's the thing that i struggle the must with...

[Image: pBeRuhB.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(09-04-2018, 09:00 PM)ORiOn Wrote: Oh believe me, I'm always up for a challenge, otherwise I would of already given up! haha

If I'm not mistaken, I already have a reverse dns for the IP set up. 125.ip-**-**-20.eu

The thing is, I'm pretty sure my records are all messed up and not correct, it may be stupid, but it's the thing that i struggle the must with...

[Image: pBeRuhB.jpg]

I think a lot of providers do set up reverse DNS PTR records for all of their IPs now but they tend to set them with a default setting, one that often includes the IP address in it, whereas you want the PTR record to be set to your server's hostname, ideally. I think in practice, as long as you have a PTR record of some sort, regardless of whether its contents match your server HELO, a lot of mail services will let your mail through, but I think there are some mail services that do check there is a match. So, it's probably more accurate to say it's best practice to get the reverse DNS PTR record to match the server HELO than saying it's required or it will guarantee no spam issues - because that's not true.

One issue which prevents me from seeing what's going on with your DNS records is that you are removing your hostname from your posts - obviously I realise why, but maybe if you could let me know what it is in a private message (if that's allowed here?) then I'll have a look at the DNS records for your domain and see if I can see anything obvious. I'll also let you have my email address (again via private message) so you can email me and I can then let you know from my mail server logs if there is anything that your message could be doing better...

Let me know if you think that would be useful.

Keith.
Thanks given by:
That would be great! I will send you a message. Big Grin

I just tested sending an email to gmail, and it didn't went to spam this time... Maybe they are just going to spam on my live.com account because of cache or something.

Will test it on other email accounts.
Thanks given by:
(09-04-2018, 11:54 PM)ORiOn Wrote: That would be great! I will send you a message. Big Grin

I just tested sending an email to gmail, and it didn't went to spam this time... Maybe they are just going to spam on my live.com account because of cache or something.

Will test it on other email accounts.

I will have a look at your private message in the next few minutes, but live.com is the same as Outlook, formerly Hotmail, and it is a nightmare for avoiding spam. They seem to mark everything as spam unless it comes from one of the "giants" like gmail, and even then they might mark them as spam!

Live/Outlook/Hotmail are probably not the best platforms to use to check your mails are working... Smile

Keith
Thanks given by:
Everything is working now, even DKIM! And all that thanks to @fearworks!
Thanks a lot! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(09-13-2018, 02:52 AM)ORiOn Wrote: Everything is working now, even DKIM! And all that thanks to @fearworks!
Thanks a lot! Big Grin

No problem!

Keith
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Critical Error: [0100] - Unable to connect or authenticate to the Sentora database whatshisface77 1 3 ,804 07-31-2020, 10:58 AM
Last Post: whatshisface77
unable to install wordpress or joomla using sentastico king4m 1 5 ,400 04-10-2020, 07:55 AM
Last Post: TGates
Unable to login Getting Application Error: [0204] king4m 0 2 ,626 04-02-2020, 06:06 PM
Last Post: king4m