This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

HALP! New user don't understand!
HALP! New user don't understand!
Hello! I'm new to this whole self-hosting stuff and am very confused with the mailserver. Will the domain auto manage the MX nameserver or will I have to program one? If I need to create an MX nameserver what do I need to do? 

Thanks!
Thanks given by:
RE: HALP! New user don't understand!
You need to create DNS entries. You need to read a bit about DNS to understand this, you can't run your own server without having MINIMAL knowledge same over driving a car! Or you will get in serious trouble.

M B
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by: jstacklin
(01-08-2016, 08:27 PM)Me.B Wrote: You need to create DNS entries. You need to read a bit about DNS to understand this, you can't run your own server without having MINIMAL knowledge same over driving a car! Or you will get in serious trouble.

M B

Thank you for the reply, however that still doesn't help me much (pardon me for saying so). I know how to add DNS records and adjust them, but what do I add? The better question is how to add them (whatever I'm supposed to add) (and with the Sentora fork being so new there's no tutorials and, in fact, many sites recommend staying away from Sentora)
Thanks given by:
(01-08-2016, 11:43 PM)jstacklin Wrote: Thank you for the reply, however that still doesn't help me much (pardon me for saying so). I know how to add DNS records and adjust them, but what do I add? The better question is how to add them (whatever I'm supposed to add) (and with the Sentora fork being so new there's no tutorials and, in fact, many sites recommend staying away from Sentora)

Not sure what you are referring to about no tutorials: http://docs.sentora.org/?node=54
Our docs and forums are full of them.

(01-08-2016, 11:43 PM)jstacklin Wrote: ...and, in fact, many sites recommend staying away from Sentora...

Many sites? Only WebHostingTalk and one other that escapes my memory... Nothing has been brought to our attention in roughly a year and all of those concerns have already been addressed. DigitalOcean even provides many tutorials related to Sentora as a lot of their clients use it.
-TGates - Project Council

SEARCH the Forums or read the DOCUMENTATION before posting!
Support Sentora and Donate: HERE

Find my support or modules useful? Donate to TGates HERE
Developers and code testers needed!
Contact TGates for more information
(01-08-2016, 11:58 PM)TGates Wrote:
(01-08-2016, 11:43 PM)jstacklin Wrote: Thank you for the reply, however that still doesn't help me much (pardon me for saying so). I know how to add DNS records and adjust them, but what do I add? The better question is how to add them (whatever I'm supposed to add) (and with the Sentora fork being so new there's no tutorials and, in fact, many sites recommend staying away from Sentora)

Not sure what you are referring to about no tutorials: http://docs.sentora.org/?node=54
Our docs and forums are full of them.

(01-08-2016, 11:43 PM)jstacklin Wrote: ...and, in fact, many sites recommend staying away from Sentora...

Many sites? Only WebHostingTalk and one other that escapes my memory... Nothing has been brought to our attention in roughly a year and all of those concerns have already been addressed. DigitalOcean even provides many tutorials related to Sentora as a lot of their clients use it.

Thank you, TGates. Sadly I cannot read text and easily convert it to actual productivity. Some of the documentation is very difficult to read and seems (no offense meant) that it was badly translated into English from a Dutch type of language. I do better at watching videos as I am a visual-kinetic learner. There are barely any tutorials that are actually for the latest versions of Sentora. Most tutorials are still based off of the ZPanel experience and are very outdated.
Thanks given by:
(01-08-2016, 06:28 AM)jstacklin Wrote: Hello! I'm new to this whole self-hosting stuff and am very confused with the mailserver. Will the domain auto manage the MX nameserver or will I have to program one? If I need to create an MX nameserver what do I need to do? 

Thanks!

You say "MX nameserver ". There is no such in DNS we create an MX DNS ENTRY pointing to a A Record that will point to server IP.

Let's say server ip: 1.1.1.1 and domain : google.Com

you should create an MX @ ( mean google.com MX entry) pointing to : mail.google.com
then add an A Entry mail.google.com that would point to 1.1.1.1

All zpanel tutorials mostly apply to sentora and we did not change so much the process. If you check you will see that.

You must understand what an MX entry and every kind of DNS.dns. This why I pointed you should learn more over DNS.

Adding records is easy thru interface and defaults are already there to help you.

M B

Ps: hope this reply help.
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
(01-09-2016, 12:15 AM)Me.B Wrote:
(01-08-2016, 06:28 AM)jstacklin Wrote: Hello! I'm new to this whole self-hosting stuff and am very confused with the mailserver. Will the domain auto manage the MX nameserver or will I have to program one? If I need to create an MX nameserver what do I need to do? 

Thanks!

You say "MX nameserver ". There is no such in DNS we create an MX DNS ENTRY pointing to a A Record that will point to server IP.

Let's say server ip: 1.1.1.1 and domain : google.Com

you should create an MX @ ( mean google.com MX entry) pointing to : mail.google.com
then add an A Entry mail.google.com that would point to 1.1.1.1

All zpanel tutorials mostly apply to sentora and we did not change so much the process. If you check you will see that.

You must understand what an MX entry and every kind of DNS.dns. This why I pointed you should learn more over DNS.

Adding records is easy thru interface and defaults are already there to help you.

M B

Ps: hope this reply help.

Thanks MB, this does help a lot. I just hope that I can figure it out soon and get everything configured.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
user: 'postfix' host: 'localhost' (Got an error reading communication packets) cezars 0 2 ,434 02-01-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: cezars
[Solved] User unknown in virtual mailbox table republicus 1 7 ,159 11-05-2018, 05:13 AM
Last Post: TGates
Error SMTP (450). Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table davidlambda 3 8 ,620 10-18-2018, 12:21 AM
Last Post: davidlambda