This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Can't receive emails fix
Can't receive emails fix
If you keep getting the message:

Quote:<email@domain.com>: temporary failure. Command output: Can't open log

file /var/log/dovecot.log: Permission denied

This is how you fix it.

I faced this issue when I cleaned the logs. For some reason dovecot doesn't recreate the needed log files when they have been deleted, so you have to create them manually and set the correct permissions.

To do this simply run these commands.

Code:
touch /var/log/dovecot.log
touch /var/log/dovecot-info.log
touch /var/log/dovecot-debug.log
chown vmail.mail /var/log/dovecot*
service dovecot restart

That should be it. You will now be able to receive emails.
Thanks given by:
RE: Can't receive emails fix
You would better use log rotate to remove/archive the logs instead of wiping them.

M B
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2015, 08:01 PM)Me.B Wrote: You would better use log rotate to remove/archive the logs instead of wiping them.

M B

It would be Smile

But I have a small HD, so disc space is precious (the server locked up once due to the logs taking up a 3rd of the disk space). So I backup the logs once a week to an external server then delete them. I know this is an extremely bad practice, but it works for me. Only issue I had doing this was with the dovecot permissions, but that's an easy fix.

I mainly made this post because I have seen a few posts with people having issues with email. Not saying deleting logs is a good idea. Just pointing out how to fix email if it breaks.
Thanks given by:
tnks! this fix my problem! I try it and this work! tnks man! this is good information = )
Thanks given by: