This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[question]core functionality
[question]core functionality
hi

i was wondering about how sentora works and what possible upgrade could be made

[hosted sites]
would it be possible to change how sites are currently hosted in what i assume is a jail to containers

a few container options listed here

as i understand it it would add layer of security to each site and even make sites a little more customizable by being able to say change the php version, mysql version,mongodb, etc on the fly

[users(related to the above)]
if sentora moved to a container system then when accounts are created a account on the system could be created thus giving clients access to their container so say they wanted to install git to there container(could also be done on the fly in the above example) but this way they could run say a python program on there site not being able to be accessed by others

what are everyone's thoughts on this is it realistic or would it be a pipe dream would it add to security or lessen it is it even possible
Thanks given by:
RE: [question]core functionality
Interesting question, Me.B should be able to answer that question for you.
-TGates - Project Council

SEARCH the Forums or read the DOCUMENTATION before posting!
Support Sentora and Donate: HERE

Find my support or modules useful? Donate to TGates HERE
Developers and code testers needed!
Contact TGates for more information
Thanks given by:
It would be intersting to use for example each user in a docker or LXC environnement. BUT this would require a complicated setup and would mean each customer is almost in a VPS, no more shared hosting.

Also using docker is easy, but ensuring it's secure is a another story.

I've been more thinking about adding SSH access thru a docker container to isolate the environnement from the main setup & allow then users to access their space using SSH/SFTP but didn't test it enough.

For PHP the best & most battle tested solution remain php-fpm.

M B
No support using PM (Auto adding to IGNORE list!), use the forum. 
How to ask
Freelance AWS Certified Architect & SysOps// DevOps

10$ free to start your VPS
Thanks given by:
(04-11-2019, 08:28 AM)Me.B Wrote: It would be intersting to use for example each user in a docker or LXC environnement. BUT this would require a complicated setup and would mean each customer is almost in a VPS, no more shared hosting.

On this one I could say it's almost better that everyone was a VPS if anything just for Hardware migrations and security

(04-11-2019, 08:28 AM)Me.B Wrote: Also using docker is easy, but ensuring it's secure is a another story.

I've been more thinking about adding SSH access thru a docker container to isolate the environnement from the main setup & allow then users to access their space using SSH/SFTP but didn't test it enough.

For PHP the best & most battle tested solution remain php-fpm.

M B

I didn't think about it but adding SSH buy a Docker container or Linux container is an interesting option but one of the things that I I personally find to be a bit of a problem with the current version of sentora is that changing a website's PHP version is quite a hassle and an interesting idea would be to have an official Repository for the versions that anytime you set up a website you can choose the version you want and if each website was essentially its own container then one person PHP version could be 5.4 and the other person can 5.6

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
removing phpsysinfo from core Me.B 0 3 ,273 02-24-2016, 07:30 AM
Last Post: Me.B